Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    MasterVal wrote: »
    E_Brault wrote: »
    Another thought, you might be gaining muscle - which weighs more than fat. I have a scale that measures body fat.

No. 1lb of fat weigh EXACTLY the same as 1lb of muscle - ONE POUND.

She is wrong, but your statement isn't anymore correct. She didn't say one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat. If she had, you might have a leg to stand on. No, she said muscle weighs more than fat. And muscle most definitely does weigh more, by volume.

This is wrong

Of course a pound of muscle and a pound of fat are the same weight, but because muscle is much more dense, it takes up a lot less space. That's what is meant by being 'heavier' by volume. If you took a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle would weigh more.

Nowhere does OP talk about volume. OP just said she hasn't lost anything and someone else said the OP may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat which is LOL wrong.

I addressed that. Bethn24 saying the op is gaining muscle but losing fat at an equal rate is a silly assertion. But equally, MasterVal saying a pound of muscle is equivalent to a pound of fat is a logical fallacy (false equivalence).

I'm willing to believe you misread my statement, as I certainly made no false claims. Though I could have been more clear as to whom I was referring.
  • tiffanyschadow
    tiffanyschadow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament as you and was not weighing my food so I've ordered a scale. I have increased my workouts to almost double and am chronically exhausted. I keep reading about metabolic rate slowing as you get closer to your goal weight and also age and sex make a tremendous difference in your caloric burn during exercise so there are so many factors to consider that I don't even know how to create a meal and workout plan that will help me continue to drop the last 3 lbs like I dropped the first 16 lbs. I like the idea @Artemiris suggested has anyone else tried that???
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Another thought, you might be gaining muscle - which weighs more than fat. I have a scale that measures body fat.

She is wrong, but your statement isn't anymore correct. She didn't say one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat. If she had, you might have a leg to stand on. No, she said muscle weighs more than fat. And muscle most definitely does weigh more, by volume.

This is wrong

Of course a pound of muscle and a pound of fat are the same weight, but because muscle is much more dense, it takes up a lot less space. That's what is meant by being 'heavier' by volume. If you took a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle would weigh more.

Nowhere does OP talk about volume. OP just said she hasn't lost anything and someone else said the OP may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat which is LOL wrong.

I addressed that. Bethn24 saying the op is gaining muscle but losing fat at an equal rate is a silly assertion. But equally, MasterVal saying a pound of muscle is equivalent to a pound of fat is a logical fallacy (false equivalence).

I'm willing to believe you misread my statement, as I certainly made no false claims. Though I could have been more clear as to whom I was referring.

I'm going to have to check this out in the morning when I am sober :)
  • apricotmuffins
    apricotmuffins Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This is wrong

But it DOES weigh more, by volume. No one is saying a pound of fat is lighter than a pound of muscle. The phrase 'muscle weighs more than fat' is making the assumption that people aren't so dumb as to think that and instead realize that it's referring to volumes.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

This is wrong

But it DOES weigh more, by volume. No one is saying a pound of fat is lighter than a pound of muscle. The phrase 'muscle weighs more than fat' is making the assumption that people aren't so dumb as to think that and instead realize that it's referring to volumes.

This makes no sense.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bethn24 wrote: »
    Well overall I've had great success changing my lifestyle, I'm 5"3 and managed to drop from 72 to 66 kg in 8 weeks which I'm very proud of but in the past 3 weeks I haven't lost anything and am still hoping to lose another 6-8 kgs, has anyone else hit a plateau? if so how did you get past it? would love some advice.
    I'm very similar. ..just hang in there the less you have to lose the longer it takes for dome mind boggling reason! ! I've plateaued for about three months. .lose half gain it back. ...keep going everyone has told me I will get past it. Good luck :smiley: