Cabbage

Options
Meganthedogmom
Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
Does anyone have any simple cabbage recipes? I love cabbage, but I'm not real familiar with doing anything but steaming it. I actually love it raw too, so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This one is like stuffed cabbage.....in a casserole form

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to cut it really thin, then soak it in some type of vinegar (usually rice vinegar) for a few hours. Drain it and voila! Slightly pickled cabbage!! I'll add shredded carrots or other hard veggies as well sometimes.
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A very good and simple recipe is to saute it. Slice the cabbage thinly and saute with diced onions in some butter and olive oil (or your choice of fat) until onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper a few minutes before its done.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One of my favorites is to cut it really thin, then soak it in some type of vinegar (usually rice vinegar) for a few hours. Drain it and voila! Slightly pickled cabbage!! I'll add shredded carrots or other hard veggies as well sometimes.

Sweet & Sour Slaw..............

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24896/sweet-and-sour-slaw/

(Stores in the freezer too)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    alicjakrol wrote: »
    A very good and simple recipe is to saute it. Slice the cabbage thinly and saute with diced onions in some butter and olive oil (or your choice of fat) until onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper a few minutes before its done.

Yeah, that. I'll add cooked egg noodles, too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I added it to my greek salad this week. I peeled the outer layers of the cabbage and sliced very thin. Also in the salad was cucumber, radishes, tomato, onion, bell pepper, and Bok Choy. I added about a half cup of Kraft fat-free Italian dressing and I crumble feta cheese on top just before I eat it.

Really, I just add whatever vegetables are on hand, as long as there is a variety.

@AngryViking1970 I am going to do that. Sounds delish.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like making Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235997/unstuffed-cabbage-roll/

I also make a type of cabbage stir-fry. I cook some chicken, cut in bite-size pieces; stir fry together cabbage, bell peppers, and other veggies I want; and season as I like. Then, I will serve that over rice.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    This one is like stuffed cabbage.....in a casserole form

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html

I really want to try this recipe. Thanks for posting!
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to chop up an entire cabbage, dump it in a pot with a lot of various chopped veggies, add 1 28 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce, 3 boxes of reduced sodium chicken broth, 4 cups of water and about 2 tablespoons of Mrs. Dash, and cook it on medium heat for about 3 hours.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love Cabbage Steaks, but also saute and add it into just about everything.

My regular breakfast is a cabbage/bacon crustless quiche that I cut into 4 servings and eat all week.

Also google "crack slaw" for a lot of really good recipes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I like making Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235997/unstuffed-cabbage-roll/

I also make a type of cabbage stir-fry. I cook some chicken, cut in bite-size pieces; stir fry together cabbage, bell peppers, and other veggies I want; and season as I like. Then, I will serve that over rice.

I have done a stir-fry with it before and that was really yummy!

I'm looking forward to all of these recipes! Especially the sweet & sour slaw one. Honestly sometimes I just eat it raw when I'm cutting it up, I love it. But I realize I have to make it appetizing for those I'm cooking for, too :)

Any more slaw recipes? And if they call for Greek yogurt in place of mayo, please recommend a good Greek yogurt because the plain ones I've tried make me want to spew.
  • slvc0721
    slvc0721 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love Cabbage Steaks, but also saute and add it into just about everything.

My regular breakfast is a cabbage/bacon crustless quiche that I cut into 4 servings and eat all week.

Also google "crack slaw" for a lot of really good recipes.

Wow....Cabbage Steaks sounds DELISH!!!! I absolutely LOVE cabbage especially red cabbage I am definitely going to google "crack slaw"

THANKS!!!!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Does anyone have any simple cabbage recipes? I love cabbage, but I'm not real familiar with doing anything but steaming it. I actually love it raw too, so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

I am from Europe where we eat a lot of cabbage dishes that are usually quite heavy because of the way they are prepared. Since I love cabbage I was really surprised to find two easy, fast and inexpensive cabbage dishes here in Mexico, where I have lived for 20 years now.

Take a crisp head of cabbage ( or the amount you like/need )
    chop
    simmer in a little water with salt ( I use vegetable broth granules ) to desired softness ( al dente in my case )
    That's it.

If you want to eat it cold, add a bit of mayonnaise
    If you want to eat it hot or warm, add a bit of cream and black pepper to taste.
    If I eat it warm / hot I also add some caraway seeds, because in Europe this is the typical cabbage spice.
    I never thought before that such a simple preparation could taste so good.

• Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Love cabbage as a filler veg in stir-frys with Asian or curry seasonings. So easy, low cal and filling. Mix with whatever veg you like, stir fry in some chicken or beef, if you like. Sometimes I also chop up with other veg, and cook with curry paste and coconut milk (usually a lite variety), and it tastes sooooo good, if you like that sort of thing, that is.

A friend of mine used to also make baked egg rolls with cabbage, carrots, onion, chicken......and probably other things, then wrap and brush with oil before baking. I think it made for a healthier alternative to take out and they tasted great.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I

I made this tonight. Put some noodles on top and roasted chicken. So good.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options

This with Tsp of sugar & Tbl of rice vinegar added 5 mins before serving.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I really like it raw in salads. It is great with onions. Both cut up into wedges, drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper, and roasted in the oven. You can use any seasoning that you like. I make a lot of veggies like this.
  • Gali80
    Gali80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cabbage shredded with carrots and rutabaga with sesame tahini and salt; our family love this salad; I make it in the food processor