Do you still workout even if you're super stressed?

Options

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yep - the workout will help if you can drag yourself out of the house. Just tell yourself that you'll get dressed for a workout. Once you're dressed, you might as well go. Once you get started, you'll feel better. It all starts with putting on your workout gear. ;)
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Working out relaxes me. The only days I don't work out is if I just plain don't have the time in my day for it, or if I'm sick.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    It depends on the type of stress.

Had a really bad day or worrying about something -- exercise definitely helps. Sometimes a LOT.

Stressed due to time constraints/way too much that needs doing -- finding time to exercise can just make that worse, and thinking about/worrying about what other things I could be doing instead of exercising negates any stress relieving effect I normally get from the exercise.

I agree with this.

• nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Even though I know that working out relaxes me, I sometimes do let the stress take over -- or, not the stress itself, but the feeling that I "don't have the time to go to the gym". But, usually (at least currently) I can get through that -- because I'm doing rehab for my back and not only does it only take 30 minutes if I skip the exercises I added myself (whole body, for extra umph) and focus, but I know that if I don't do it I will be in pain and be miserable.

The one thing I've not yet managed to work through is if I'm feeling tired; then I will skip the gym --- and is the reason why I prefer to go in the morning if I'm able to, because then I've not got the "had a horrible day at work today, need to just veg for a bit" excuse.

It's something I'm working on though!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Depends on the stress for me too...if it's sad stress, I find I can't workout...proven after two recent deaths...if it's anger stress, or worry....running or heavy lifting usually bring me out of that funk. Good luck! Its true what they say tho, "you only regret the workouts you DIDNT do!"
  • loki621
    loki621 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When my ex ditched me for another guy a few months ago, I forced myself to go to the gym. It was rough but the gym turned out to be therapeutic. Now, if I don't go for a day, the feels return. It's kind of kept me focused.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    especially when i am super stressed
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm really stressed, working out is the last thing that I want to do. I really get the urge to just say F%$& it. Recently though I've forced myself to work out when I was really mad. It turned out to be a pretty good tension reliever. Partially, because when I exercise I get a little shot of endorphin, but also because I don't have the guilt of pounding a whole pizza
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    It depends on the type of stress.

Had a really bad day or worrying about something -- exercise definitely helps. Sometimes a LOT.

Stressed due to time constraints/way too much that needs doing -- finding time to exercise can just make that worse, and thinking about/worrying about what other things I could be doing instead of exercising negates any stress relieving effect I normally get from the exercise.

x2

During a particular hard time two years ago, I remember having stressful phone calls with my mom and going straight onto the elliptical after. It helped a lot. However, when I'm stressed because I'm working 12-16 hour days and trying to juggle social events as well? Or having a bad bout of insomnia? Exercise tends to take a backseat.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Definitely still workout when I'm stressed. I use it to clear my head often since it is something I can really just focus on besides whatever has me stressed.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I workout mostly because of stress. I always seem to find the answer I am looking for with the right level exercise and sleep.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    I work out BECAUSE of being stressed out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Endorphins = sanity.
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The more stressed I am, the more I need the gym. If I don't get to the gym I get cranky even in a good day. Lol. If I seem irritable my son will ask me if I didn't get to lift. Lol!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    For sure,,, nothing feels better then a good workout when stressed, then a few drinks after..... almost better then sex.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This is when you really should do some exercise!
    Exercise for me, relieves Stress.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Going for a run or a bike ride (or whatever workout turns your crank) after an especially stressful is the best therapy......
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Best time to work out
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes - it really helps my stress levels go down when I work out. I turn on some great EDM/dance music and pedal away my feelings on the stationary bike or walk my troubles away on the treadmill. Good luck. I know it's hard to balance everything.