Do you still workout even if you're super stressed?

Options
I feel so stressed out with school and work. Now I find myself making excuses to skip a day because I feel like crap.

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Gym is a stress reliever for me.. nothing like hearing weights clank
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Stress does not stop me. My busy schedule will stop me more than anything. But not stress. A good sweat melts away that stress feeling even if only temporarily!
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    sassypear wrote: »
    I feel so stressed out with school and work. Now I find myself making excuses to skip a day because I feel like crap.

I use running as a way to release my stress. It's about time you made working out your way to relax
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I let school stress me out so much I've missed nearly a month of working out. A day or two isn't a big deal, but it's really distressing to get to this point and think I'll be at square one when I get back. It also feels worse to be stressed and not move. My muscles cramp up and I get really sore. If you need to miss a day to finish an assignment miss a day, but don't let that day turn into a week into weeks. It's not fun :/
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes! If anything, I exercise more. When I was doing grad school in addition to working full time and purchasing a house I was still hitting the gym morning and night. Endorphins = sanity. And lack of time isn't really an excuse for me. I'd fit in an intense 15 minute workout at home, ran hill sprints the next street over, five minutes of burpees etc. I also broke up my study time with yoga poses to keep myself moving. I functioned so much better - more energy, slept more soundly, managed my stress better generally,
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    As above ... Yes! If anything, I exercise more.

I work full time and I'm also in an extremely heavy grad program at university. I've taken a lot of courses and have acquired certificates, diplomas and degrees, but have never encountered anything quite this heavy before.

And yet, I walk and climb stairs every day, and on weekends my husband and I get out for fairly lengthy, strenuous bicycle rides.

If I didn't do that, I think I'd be a whimpering ball in the corner.

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Same here, exercise is my stress reliever. When I'm having a bad day chucking sandbags around can really help! Timetable it in so it is as important and class or work. I work, and have young kids so gym time is limited, so I do those stick to my times as much as possible as I know it will be hard to go any other time. Also have a back up. If I really don't want to or can't go, I might run or do a long walk which I can do with the kids.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running long distances is more socially acceptable than tearing people a new one at work...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Every day I walk between 2.5 - 5 miles, averaging 4 mi / day. I absolutely treasure the time out on the trails because I can sort through my thoughts, relax, clear my mind, catch up on the news, or basically have time that's 100% at my discretion.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Yep if I've had a crappy day at work, I go smash out a workout. I feel happy better afterwards
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Every day I walk between 2.5 - 5 miles, averaging 4 mi / day. I absolutely treasure the time out on the trails because I can sort through my thoughts, relax, clear my mind, catch up on the news, or basically have time that's 100% at my discretion.

Yes! And I find that when I'm walking or cycling, I often figure out possible solutions to a work or university problem. At the very least, having the time to really think it through helps a lot.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes. The endorphins from running are proven both in theory and in my personal practice to be a great stress reliever.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    absolutely, with my stress level and without running I'll be prob in jail :smiley:

relaxing while sweating, getting rid of bad thoughts and tidying up the day, before the crap (commuting, work, boring repetitive stuff) starts
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Find running a great stress reliever!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Running long distances is more socially acceptable than tearing people a new one at work...

Absolutely. I am more chilled out when I'm exercising frequently.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sadly no... I know working out would make me feel better but as a college student I get stressed out too much to the point where I feel that I need to dedicate every minute to catching up with homework. I should still dedicate even a small time to working out though...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the gym is what keeps me from going on murderous rampages. so i would say yes.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of stress.

Had a really bad day or worrying about something -- exercise definitely helps. Sometimes a LOT.

Stressed due to time constraints/way too much that needs doing -- finding time to exercise can just make that worse, and thinking about/worrying about what other things I could be doing instead of exercising negates any stress relieving effect I normally get from the exercise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, definitely. i find aerial yoga and conditioning to be huge stress relievers.
    and running? well this shirt explains it all
    I+Run+Because+Punching+People+Is+Frowned+Upon
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Gym is a stress reliever for me.. nothing like hearing weights clank
    Yeah this. You're going to feel worse if you DON'T work out.