Cheat days ?

Options
What's your opinion on them and how often do you have them ? Me personally I like goal oriented cheat days instead of weekly, and I find that it helps me break through a plateau. But I can't seem to completely "let loose" on a cheat day cuz I kind of feel like it's a test. If you have to binge on a cheat day then how are you gonna be when the weight loss phase is over ? Just my opinion

Replies

• Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't have them because since joining MFP, I've come to learn a lot about my relationship with food and calling any high calorie food 'cheating' just enforces that I'm doing something I shouldn't be - eating. I take issue with this kind of attitude towards my food. I don't cheat, I work damm hard for that pizza to equal me being a cheater! I eat what I like in moderation - be it pizza, chocolate, crisps. I'll have it. But I'm still winning!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I try not to have cheat days. It takes me too long to get back on track, because when I go over I go WAY over! I work what I want to eat into my daily allotted calories. If I am going out to dinner I try to plan for that as well. I eat what I want just in moderation. Now don't get me wrong there are days when I go over especially during PMS so I try to exercise a little more. By the way I love those shoes in your profile pic!!!!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You'll find a wide variety of opinion on this.

I'm yet to find anyone that can give a cast-iron definition as to what a "cheat day" is, or what is being "cheated".

For me, you're just consuming foods that contain calories. You either do this whilst maintaining a calorie deficit, a maintenance level, or a calorie surplus.

If you do the above by eating a lettuce six days a week, then 26 pizzas on one day, you're simply creating a way to achieve your deficit, maintenance or surplus.

Nothing is being cheated.

I also don't like the emotional attachment that the whole "cheat" thing has. It throws up negative connotations surrounding food. Food is just food, it contains calories and macronutrients. That's all.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Steve4239 wrote: »
    i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why the false equation between a cheat day and binging (disordered behavior)?
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Steve4239 wrote: »

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?

having somthing i wouldnt usually have like chilli or a chicken dinner or pizza
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheating implies doing something wrong. I'm not. If what I'm having, doesn't happen to fit, then I log it and move on.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I was obese I could have a cheat day. Now it takes blood sweat, tears, whining, sobbing, and sweating to lose anything because my BMR is less than 1500 cal a day. No way can I have a cheat meal, much less a day, because my idea of a cheat is a stupid amount of food anyway. One cheat meal equals bye bye all my hard work for at least a week. A cheat day and I'd knock out a month.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why the false equation between a cheat day and binging (disordered behavior)?

Most ppl go all out on cheat days and binge to make up for the restriction. I'm simply saying that I don't feel comfortable doing that and look at cheat days as more of a break from counting

So, according to your posts in this thread "most" people engage in disordered behaviors ... i.e binges ... to have a cheat day. The examples provided by others in this tread counter your assertion.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    For some god foresaken reason for the past 40 years when coming in from tops I have to cheat no matter if it's only a few cookies sometimes more. Last night was an ice cream sand. a piece of apple pie. Then a hand full of peanuts. And that left me with a gain that I now must deal with. But right back on track this morning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cheating implies that said food you are "cheating" with is bad…I don't do cheat days. I just eat the foods that I like and make sure that I am falling within micro/macro/calorie targets for the day. yes, I have ocassional over days but I don't view them as cheating or bad. Free your mind from the good food/bad food concept that is being peddled by bloggers, the fitness industry, and magazines.