Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Steve4239 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?

having somthing i wouldnt usually have like chilli or a chicken dinner or pizza

why would those foods be cheating? They can be part of an overall healthy diet….
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?

Ok, so you feel that you are cheating yourself, by eating foods that you are normally restricting.

See, I sort of get that. I'm just not sure the word "cheat" is correct.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why the false equation between a cheat day and binging (disordered behavior)?

Most ppl go all out on cheat days and binge to make up for the restriction. I'm simply saying that I don't feel comfortable doing that and look at cheat days as more of a break from counting

So, according to your posts in this thread "most" people engage in disordered behaviors ... i.e binges ... to have a cheat day. The examples provided by others in this tread counter your assertion.

Go away

Quit linking cheat days to binging. Words mean things. Perhaps you've noticed that there is no "cheat day eating disorder" but there is such a thing as binge eating disorder.

• rudhrapriya
    rudhrapriya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are just to tempt us to eat more and gain weight again which we tried to lose over the past couple of weeks or so. I usually have days like this once a month..But I walk or run in order to cut down all d calories I had that day and to be within my goal always... No matter what day it is! :smile:
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I like the idea that the use of the word 'cheat' isn't really a good way to frame it. I wouldn't want to call it a 'fun' day either though, because I find looking at food as entertainment is a terrible idea for me. What would it be called if not a cheat meal or cheat day?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat." I eat what I love, and I maintain a caloric deficit. I enjoy all the same foods and when I go over my calories, I log it and enjoy it. Eating over calories or eating foods that some people seem unhealthy does not have a direct correlation with bingeing.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have semantics and ideas about this that are important to me:

I call it a Treat, not a Cheat, and it's a meal, and I try to log it and get it within, if not a daily, a weekly deficit.
    The reason I differentiate it from my standard diet is that, nutritionally speaking, it may not be something that would be brilliant to have every day, but looking forward to a couple of pieces of pizza and a couple of beers on a Friday night, for example, is what keeps me going some days!
    I know there's a school of thought that food should be fuel, not reward (and geez did my Attack instructor bang on about that this week...), but I use it as a reward fairly often. I like it, it motivates me, and it's an indulgence I always enjoy. It's not my only reward/indulgence, of course, but, by having limitations on it, from small daily treats to larger weekly treats, I'm able to enjoy using food as a reward and maintain a healthy weight. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I like the idea that the use of the word 'cheat' isn't really a good way to frame it. I wouldn't want to call it a 'fun' day either though, because I find looking at food as entertainment is a terrible idea for me. What would it be called if not a cheat meal or cheat day?

Nothing, it doesn't need to be named, as it's not a thing.

How about a "Today I ate a dietary intake that resulted in a calorie surplus because I chose to eat foods that resulted in that surplus"

Or a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day.

Obviously a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day, can be a TDIAADITRIACDBICTEFTRITS day, if a deficit is achieved.

Or a TDIAADITRIACMLBICTEFTRITS, if a maintenance level of calories is achieved.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

How about a "Today I ate a dietary intake that resulted in a calorie surplus because I chose to eat foods that resulted in that surplus"

Obviously a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day, can be a TDIAADITRIACDBICTEFTRITS day, if a deficit is achieved.

Hahaha brilliant!
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

You, I like.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I'm just going to have to call it a sabotage day now, because that's what it is for me. I guess there are a few things I miss about being obese.

Warm in all weather.
    Never needed to pad a chair because I had my own on me.
    Burned more than double the calories I do now for the same workout.
    And I could have a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS once in awhile and not have to pay for it for weeks.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do "no tracking days" a few times a year. Vacation and special holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) and my birthday.

I might be eating over maintenance on those days, I might not. It's just a chance for me to relax and enjoy the day. These are pre-planned and few.

Other than that, I work my treats into my calorie allowance.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" AKA don't count calories days: Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I do "no tracking days" a few times a year. Vacation and special holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) and my birthday.

I might be eating over maintenance on those days, I might not. It's just a chance for me to relax and enjoy the day. These are pre-planned and few.

Other than that, I work my treats into my calorie allowance.

This. I do the very occasional 'no tracking day'. I refer to it as that too. I don't go overboard, I just... eat as a normal human being would without logging. Doesn't usually make a difference in the weight loss at the end of the week so I can't be going wrong! :D
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    When I was obese I could have a cheat day. Now it takes blood sweat, tears, whining, sobbing, and sweating to lose anything because my BMR is less than 1500 cal a day. No way can I have a cheat meal, much less a day, because my idea of a cheat is a stupid amount of food anyway. One cheat meal equals bye bye all my hard work for at least a week. A cheat day and I'd knock out a month.

Right there with you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why would those foods be cheating? They can be part of an overall healthy diet….

Maybe the type of pizza or chicken doesn't work with their calorie limits on a regular day. Or the amount they want to eat is higher than usual

again that does not make them "bad" or "cheats"....

food = food, assigning moral values to it is useless and counterproductive
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Maybe the type of pizza or chicken doesn't work with their calorie limits on a regular day. Or the amount they want to eat is higher than usual

^^ that.

food is food. it fits in your calories or it doesn't. going over your calories isn't the end of the world. i do it all the time and have managed to lose 70 pounds and am still losing. i eat what i want.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Co-signed.
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

^^ that.

food is food. it fits in your calories or it doesn't. going over your calories isn't the end of the world. i do it all the time and have managed to lose 70 pounds and am still losing. i eat what i want.

yh maybe it shouldn't be called a cheat more like a reward it may be within my goals but its not the food that i should be eating all week.

also food = food no. on that bases i could eat sweets and chocolate all day and keep within my goals. if you want to tone up then you need to reduce carbs and increase protein its not all in the calories.