Gained 10 lbs in 1 Month Total Nightmare

Options
2»

Replies

• klhooker67
    klhooker67 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Okay, let me put my 2 cents in here. I have tried nearly all the diet plans and spent a lot of money doing them. I tried prescription drugs, Meridia, Belviq and others. Most worked for awhile, but then there was dealing with food I didn't like and side effects from the drugs and all that crap to deal with. Finally after all the trial and error I discovered a few VERY SIMPLE things that have made a world of difference. I picked out a few exercises that I felt could help me without killing me. I'm 65 but thank God I don't look it, yet. Anyway, I picked out walking, bike riding and occasionally the elliptical. I also downloaded an app that could measure each and would also download the info into Myfitnesspal. I picked out a number of net calories I felt I could live with each day. At first I started with 1600, then dropped it to 1300. Then I would just try to eat a reasonable mix of foods that I actually enjoyed eating. For me it has been Cedars Chickpea Salad, Town House Pita Chips or others, Maybe Life cereal with a little fat free milk, Ocean Spray Light Cranberry Juice as some of my staples. I try to stay away from bread and other carbs, but when I get a craving I give myself a little reward. I try to walk at a brisk pace for at least 1 hour per day and ride my bike for 1/2 minimum. Keep track on MFP has been a god send. It is like keeping your score on the golf course, playing against the course. I have lost 49 pounds since the second week of June. Yahoo.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    And how exactly did you put on 6 lbs of muscle in a month??????
    WBB55 wrote: »
    That's a possibly I'm going to buy a scale today to see if that's the case. A digital one. If I still am 190 according to new scale from store then something is seriously wrong because this isn't normal to gain 10 lbs in 1 month, that would be like gaining 2 to 3 lbs a week.

I gained 10 lbs in a month. For me it was about 6 lbs of muscle and 2 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of water. I was vegetarian and then added a couple servings of meat each day. Guess I was over maintenance, though... Are you lifting weights?

Try not to stress out this much. Track your calories, healthy food or no.
    Just estimated with taping, I don't mean to imply I had like body scans to calculate it. It was when my training was at its peak.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I don't know what went wrong but, maybe it had something to do with the protein shakes I started which is this tiny powder scoop you mix with water and it's sugarfree, gluten-free, and vegan so I figured it was healthy and assists losing weight. I went from 180lbs eating lightly and having only 1 protein shake a day think I was losing weight then at doctors appt find out I'm 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even look 190 I look 140 but the scale says 190 at doctors...... I don't even notice weight gain I'm surprised. Now I'm faced with having to find an extreme diet plan, I'm only 28 years old, I'm 5 feet tall, I CANNOT weigh 190!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my worst nightmare.

What can I do aside from managing my calorie intake? I'm thinking of very little carbs, no protein powder, and just high protein in meat to burn carbs stored in fat.

Your post mentions nothing about weighing and logging your food, just "eating lightly," so if you did in fact gain 10#, that's where the problem lies - you are not eating at a calorie deficit. There's no need to do anything extreme - just use a digital food scale for weighing your solids and tighten up your food logging.

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    I don't know what went wrong but, maybe it had something to do with the protein shakes I started which is this tiny powder scoop you mix with water and it's sugarfree, gluten-free, and vegan so I figured it was healthy and assists losing weight. I went from 180lbs eating lightly and having only 1 protein shake a day think I was losing weight then at doctors appt find out I'm 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even look 190 I look 140 but the scale says 190 at doctors...... I don't even notice weight gain I'm surprised. Now I'm faced with having to find an extreme diet plan, I'm only 28 years old, I'm 5 feet tall, I CANNOT weigh 190!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my worst nightmare.

What can I do aside from managing my calorie intake? I'm thinking of very little carbs, no protein powder, and just high protein in meat to burn carbs stored in fat.
    just because it's a doctors scale does'nt mean it's 100 % accurate.. EX:
    i went to the doctors a month ago got weighed twice and 1 time it said i weighed 126 another 128 i was highly surprised for the whole day until i relized that is not my weight at all i been losted them 6-8 lbs almost 1 yr ago l home scale how ever says i weigh 120 lbs which is more believeable and i've been using that one for a couple years with no problem

p.s if you really did gain that much like others thoughts your eating more than you think possibly
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Set a reasonable goal like losing 1 lb a week. Give MFP your info. Eat to the calorie goal you are given.
    Eat whatever food you like that fits your calorie goal. Eat the way you want to for the rest of your life. Protein, fats and fiber help you feel satisfied.
    Log as accurately as you can everything you consume. Be patient.
    Take body measurements in addition to weighing yourself so you can see your measurements change.
    Weigh on the same scale at the same time of day under the same conditions.

I find pre-logging my whole day of food helpful. You could try that to make sure you are getting enough protein and sticking to your calorie goal better.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you gained 10 pounds that quickly you could also lose it that quickly as I'm sure a good chunk of it is going to be water. Just start a reasonable diet and stick to it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out! If you don't look it, then knowing the (general) number can be your secret anyway :) Just proceed as normal for starting out on here. Log your calories.

If you log everything normally for a week, you can also see how many calories you have been eating, which is very helpful! If it's higher than expected, then awesome, because you won't feel it as badly when you cut back.

Get your own scale, and just start with it. When I'm buying them, I step on as many as I can right there in the store so that I can buy one that agrees with what most of them say. Go on and take measurements, too. If there is any scale confusion, you can always check your measurements later to see what's up that way.