FORMER VEGETARIANS- Can I be helped?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Considering the progress of current research, I actually see 3D printing of meat happening much faster than cloned tissue. The military is doing some very interesting research in that area.

I'll eat 3D meat too, as long as it's thoroughly tested for health and safety by independent, reputable sources.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    While you re-introduce new textures in your diet, why not start your day with the bran cereal which contains your daily RDA for iron?

I think your plan to slowly introduce new foods starting with the easiest is a smart one.

http://www.anxietycare.org.uk/docs/eating.asp

I hate gristle too. I'm fussy when I pick cuts of meat, and carve off those bits and leave it on the side of my plate.
  • Azuriaz
    I'm a little slow today, you aren't making 3D anything without some materials. No, I'm not eating crickets, I don't care how much it ends up tasting like steak.

Either way, if we go to vat foods/3D foods, whatever, the rich have to eat it, too. Everyone eats from the same vat. No luxury slaughterhouse for the upper classes. That will help ensure the meat stays safe and uncontaminated and that inspections to keep it that way are thorough.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Azuriaz, have you read up on the history of spriulina and the early hopes that it would be the miracle food?

Here's some more food for thought:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_barber_how_i_fell_in_love_with_a_fish?language=en
  • Azuriaz
    Oooh I love TED talks, thanks! Going to watch it now.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I'm a little slow today, you aren't making 3D anything without some materials. No, I'm not eating crickets, I don't care how much it ends up tasting like steak.

Either way, if we go to vat foods/3D foods, whatever, the rich have to eat it, too. Everyone eats from the same vat. No luxury slaughterhouse for the upper classes. That will help ensure the meat stays safe and uncontaminated and that inspections to keep it that way are thorough.

I feel like you've watched Snow Piercer one too many times... As with any 3D printer, your starting material is the simple building blocks of what you want to end up with; in the case of meat, it's a protein substrate. And right now, it's so expensive that it would be for the rich anyways.

I doubt it will ever replace standard meat cuts unless there is some serious global change that makes raising animals much more difficult, but the military is looking at it for providing protein sources to men and women in the field without needing to ship/store/refrigerate large quantities of meat.

http://www.geek.com/news/3d-printed-meat-could-soon-be-cheap-and-tasty-enough-to-win-you-over-1539410/
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015

I feel like you've watched Snow Piercer one too many times... As with any 3D printer, your starting material is the simple building blocks of what you want to end up with; in the case of meat, it's a protein substrate. And right now, it's so expensive that it would be for the rich anyways.

I doubt it will ever replace standard meat cuts unless there is some serious global change that makes raising animals much more difficult, but the military is looking at it for providing protein sources to men and women in the field without needing to ship/store/refrigerate large quantities of meat.

http://www.geek.com/news/3d-printed-meat-could-soon-be-cheap-and-tasty-enough-to-win-you-over-1539410/

Snow Piercer was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The protein still has to come from somewhere. I agree, it's too expensive now anyway, as is the test tube beef. We better hope it gets cheaper, especially as more people realize fat and meat aren't bad for them. Because we don't have the resources to support a low carb nation. Nor does the rest of the world.

Thanks for the link, bookmarking, I'm all dork over learning about this stuff.

Edit: Read it. I see it's broken down to a more basic level than I understood before. Good. I can deal with that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You can get he protein and iron you need pretty easily without meat, provided that you eat the right foods. Greek yogurt has about 20 grams per cup. Eggs have 8 grams per egg. Beanitos are a type of chips made of beans that are fairly high in protein vs regular chips. You can also take protein supplements like protein powders and bars. I'm sure the other members on here would have so many brands to recommend to you that your head would spin.

As for your iron levels, you can take an iron supplement. Floradix is a really good brand. It's a liquid iron supplement at our store that's really popular because it's more easily absorbable than many other supplements and because it's non-constipating.

That said, if you still want to transition back into meat, most former vegetarians find it easier to start with processed meat products that really don't resemble "normal" meat at all, and move into other meat products from there. Stuff like hotdogs and bacon and chicken nuggets and stuff vs whole cuts of pork and chicken. Bacon in particular is considered by many former vegetarians to a sort of "gateway meat" to help make the transition back into omnivoreism.

More proof that bacon = awesome.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Snow Piercer was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The protein still has to come from somewhere. I agree, it's too expensive now anyway, as is the test tube beef. We better hope it gets cheaper, especially as more people realize fat and meat aren't bad for them. Because we don't have the resources to support a low carb nation. Nor does the rest of the world.

The movie made me bang my head on the table. If the world was actually warming up, the perfectly timed torture from the beginning of the movie where they shove a guy's arm out the window would have taken longer than expected.
  • Azuriaz

The movie made me bang my head on the table. If the world was actually warming up, the perfectly timed torture from the beginning of the movie where they shove a guy's arm out the window would have taken longer than expected.

It was terrible. Not even funny terrible. In case you didn't catch my tardy edit:

Read the article. Better understanding now. For some reason I thought the breakdown of materials wasn't quite to that level. Very hopeful for the future!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I just wanted to chime in with the others who said you don't need meat or supplements as a vegetarian. I was a vegetarian for 5 years and was always fine on iron (sometimes I had to take B complex drops, but not always). I also LOVE spinach, so I think that helped since I put it everything. For protein and other animal vitamins eggs (and liquid eggs/egg whites) are awesome, as is Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

There is no nutritional reason to eat meat in this day and age, especially not if you're okay with fish (which you can usually get even out places). I only started eating meat under pressure from my SO who likes to share everything; I'd go back to being a vegetarian in a heartbeat otherwise. Also, personally, I had no stomach issues when I reintroduced meat (and I jumped right in), so I don't think that's true for everyone.

Good luck!
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2015
    I quit being a vegetarian a few months ago when I realized I was only getting around 40 grams of protein on what I thought was a good day. I didn't have any stomach problems with the switch and I basically jumped on with a rack of ribs.

I still find the thought of cooking meat to be too icky so I compromise by mainly eating vegetarian at home and eating delicious meaty things when we go out. I do keep some frozen precooked turkey meatballs to add to dinner if my protein for the day seems a bit low.

I found chicken breast, ham, sandwich meat, bacon, meatballs, pepperroni, sausages and burgers to be the easiest to eat to start with. I do still occasionally get grossed out by chicken with bones in it. Shudder.

I agree with some previous posters that you can probably get enough protein as a vegetarian, I just found it to be kind of a pain in the butt to manage that while in a calorie deficit.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Can you start by adding things like ground beef in chili or shredded chicken enchiladas or things where the meat is more "disguised" and you are not just hunkering down on a big piece of meat? If not, then I would maybe just eat a lot of fish and eggs as others have suggested.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    teanahk wrote: »
    I quit being a vegetarian a few months ago when I realized I was only getting around 40 grams of protein on what I thought was a good day. I didn't have any stomach problems with the switch and I basically jumped on with a rack of ribs.

I still find the thought of cooking meat to be too icky so I compromise by mainly eating vegetarian at home and eating delicious meaty things when we go out. I do keep some frozen precooked turkey meatballs to add to dinner if my protein for the day seems a bit low.

I found chicken breast, ham, sandwich meat, bacon, meatballs, pepperroni, sausages and burgers to be the easiest to eat to start with. I do still occasionally get grossed out by chicken with bones in it. Shudder.

I agree with some previous posters that you can probably get enough protein as a vegetarian, I just found it to be kind of a pain in the butt to manage that while in a calorie deficit.

I will quote what a PP said above--- I'm too lazy to be a vegetarian. Sure, I can get the protein and iron I need while being a vegetarian, but it's a lot of planning and cooking! I want to eat meat-- that's easy!

I ate a piece of ham the other night and got it down, but chewed like a dog the whole time because I didn't want to feel the texture. I got some thin sliced deli ham that I think I'm going to try to eat as well. Sigh...
  • Azuriaz

I thought about the arm part while out walking, though, wouldn't wind chill from the moving train freeze him up just the same? Not sure and never intend to find out the hard way, but I know a lot of people working outside in cold conditions live in fear of it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    The more heavily processed meat is, the less it seems like an actual animal. Try prepackaged lunch meats, chicken nuggets/patties, ground meat, etc..
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I've been vegan for forever and am currently a bodybuilder consuming massive calories and protein. I'm not advocating any type of diet because, frankly, I made my choices for me and you make your choices for you.

That said, if you want protein advice, I'm happy to help, just send me a message and ask any questions you might have. Other than that, good luck. If adding meat to your diet is the best/easiest way for you to reach your goals, then it's the right decision for you.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    i was veggie for 6 years, been eating meat again about 4 years now. If you would like any advice feel free to add me :)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I've always been weird about my meat- I could find a vein running through a piece of chicken from a mile away. I hated the gristle in cheesburgers, the fatty parts of ham, and the sinew on venison. But, it was food and tasted good, so I just picked around those parts and ate it.

I've actually been like this my whole life. I specifically will only buy cuts of meat that I don't feel like I have to worry about this with and then I trim them like crazy. I don't buy ham. I buy pork tenderloin. I never buy ground meat of any kind because the gristle WILL make me gag. I dissect just about every chicken breast I've ever bought looking for veins or discoloration of any kind and I trim it off.

Once bought a slab of flank steak and found 3 big bloody looking veins running through it...went straight into the garbage. Not a single bite.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    teanahk wrote: »

Yes. I also am o.k with most meats as long as someone else cooks it.
    Restaurant meats are usually o.k. as are some highly prepared foods like Aidells sausages and such.