FORMER VEGETARIANS- Can I be helped?

rbfdac
rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
I stopped eating meat, aside from a rare piece of fish almost three years ago. Not for ethical reasons, but because I think meat is disgusting.

I've always been weird about my meat- I could find a vein running through a piece of chicken from a mile away. I hated the gristle in cheesburgers, the fatty parts of ham, and the sinew on venison. But, it was food and tasted good, so I just picked around those parts and ate it.

My pregnancy magnified this situation. I first cut out chicken, then beef, and just ate pork. Then I found a vein in some pork and was DONE. I've never found anything gross in fish (even though it's there!), so I can still manage it some time. I eat beans and tofu and lots of faux meat products for my protein. In the past, it would easily sustain me, but in the last year, it's caused me nothing but problems. I am not getting the iron or protein I need and I don't have the appetite for 10 pounds of beans to get the required protein. I work out each week and constantly find myself really lacking energy. I really want to eat meat again!!

I asked my husband to buy me a piece of ham for supper tonight and I'm going to try so hard to eat it. I would LOVE to be able to eat all meats again and to go to a restaurant and eat a steak, or do eat grilled chicken, a turkey burger, etc.

Does anybody possibly have any advice for me? I know this might sound a little insane. It's frustrating for myself as well! I just want to be normal and eat normal meats like everybody else does!

Replies

• zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    I don't have any advice for you but you sound 100% like me (the beans,the tofu,the finding meat disgusting,not being able to eat smth where you can see veins or blood in the meat) you're not alone! We're in the same crazy boat.
    I let my boyfriend cut all the chicken I (sometimes) use to make sure there's no fat or veins on any of them otherwise i can't do it - it may be hypocritical but as soon as I touched it I cant eat it. I don't really eat meat out because I'm super fussy about the flavor - sometimes chicken tastes like turkey and then it's doomed for me. As for the iron a lot of veggies have more iron as far as i know it's a common mistake for vegetarians to blame the lack of meat.
    I personally start feeling sick when I smell beef burgers and sometimes I wish,too,that I could just eat all kinds of meat like everyone else does.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Earthfare sells a roast beef that is just roast beef, sea salt, and black pepper. I suspect the texture and consistency of something like that might make it easier for you. If you're willing to pay for it (it's hideously expensive, filet mignon costs less!)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Personally, I would slowly introduce meats back into your diet until you get used to the text and allowing your body to process them again. I have heard a lot of horror stories about reintroducing them. It may also be beneficial to start with fish if you found that more appealing. But until you get to a good point, below are two links to help address your protein needs and iron needs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/prevention/con-20019327
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    How much protein are you trying to get, on what calorie level? If you're that disgusted with meat, maybe vegetarianism (or near-vegetarianism) really is a better plan for you, if you can find a way to get the protein up high enough. (I'm a long-term ovo-lacto vegetarian, but don't sell it like religion: It can be hard to get very high levels of protein, and, speaking socially, it's a meat-eating world. I'm not finding it hard to get 75-100gm on 1400 calories net, without fake meat or protein powder, but that may not be enough for your needs.)
  • rbfdac
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How much protein are you trying to get, on what calorie level? If you're that disgusted with meat, maybe vegetarianism (or near-vegetarianism) really is a better plan for you, if you can find a way to get the protein up high enough. (I'm a long-term ovo-lacto vegetarian, but don't sell it like religion: It can be hard to get very high levels of protein, and, speaking socially, it's a meat-eating world. I'm not finding it hard to get 75-100gm on 1400 calories net, without fake meat or protein powder, but that may not be enough for your needs.)

I'm trying to get around 100 g a day, which I find very hard to accomplish most days. I also think that the iron is a HUGE part of it, more than the protein. I used to suffer a little from iron defeciency, even in my meat eating days. I started taking a supplement again, but the iron in supplements is just not the same as "natural" iron.

You're right- it's a meat eating world and that's the hardest part about it. Sure, I can eats beans and beans at home, but there's not really much available outside of the home. need a pick me up during the day? yeah, I can grab some nuts for protein, but anybody else can grab some beef jerky, some lunch meat, chicken sandwich from a fast food restaurant, etc.

I eat tons of fake meat for protein, but again, it's the iron that I'm lacking as well.

I really really hate this. I ate a slice of ham for supper last night and almost gagged at every bite.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ask for organic beef or chicken, at least you know it's not full of chemicals and taste better
    vegetarians almost always have to take a daily multi-vitamin
    otherwise they can get b12 deficiency, low vit d, and low vit a
    i hope you are taking a multi. i hope. (it will also contain iron)

B12 is easy to supplement on its own and deficiency is common in many people, not just vegetarians. In fact, everyone over 55 is advised to ensure they are getting adequate B12 (either through supplements or fortified foods, usually). Vitamin D is another one that non-vegetarians frequently supplement (or get through fortified foods). Vitamin A is abundant in many foods that are eaten by vegetarians.

A multi-vitamin isn't necessary for vegetarians, but vegetarians (like non-vegetarians) may find it useful to supplement specific vitamins that they aren't getting through foods. But except for B12 (which isn't found in plant foods), you wouldn't be required to supplement (or eat fortified foods) to be a vegetarian (and a vegetarian wouldn't even have to supplement B12 if s/he ate eggs and dairy).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Eat grass-fed beef only.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Eat grass-fed beef only.

I didn't realize grass fed cows didn't have veins. Who would have known?!

OP, what about ground meats? I've also fallen in love with chicken sausages which come in tons of different flavors. And I agree with chicken and turkey breasts. You could also do lunch meat (although I'd avoid roast beef since that can sometimes have fat through it).
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    What about eating very lean ground meats? They tend to have less of the gristle and veins that you are bothered by.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Have you tried increasing how much fish you eat first? I like the salmon burgers from Costco and I suspect they would be easier to adjust to than a steak or chicken breast at first. Or lean ground chicken/turkey? You may find it easier to eat a burger, meatball, or chili/soup than a solid piece of meat.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I wonder if there is some kind of therapy that could help. It almost sounds like some sort of anxiety disorder.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Ask your doc for iron medication. Take it with foods with vit C for better absorption.
    Stop upsetting yourself over meat.
    You can get enough protein and iron by reducing fruits and carbs so that most of your meals are fish, eggs, soy beans, lentils, other beans, chic peas, tofu, broccoli, kale, collards, green peas, green beans, hemp seeds, chia seeds, almonds, macadamias.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    You can get he protein and iron you need pretty easily without meat, provided that you eat the right foods. Greek yogurt has about 20 grams per cup. Eggs have 8 grams per egg. Beanitos are a type of chips made of beans that are fairly high in protein vs regular chips. You can also take protein supplements like protein powders and bars. I'm sure the other members on here would have so many brands to recommend to you that your head would spin.

As for your iron levels, you can take an iron supplement. Floradix is a really good brand. It's a liquid iron supplement at our store that's really popular because it's more easily absorbable than many other supplements and because it's non-constipating.

That said, if you still want to transition back into meat, most former vegetarians find it easier to start with processed meat products that really don't resemble "normal" meat at all, and move into other meat products from there. Stuff like hotdogs and bacon and chicken nuggets and stuff vs whole cuts of pork and chicken. Bacon in particular is considered by many former vegetarians to a sort of "gateway meat" to help make the transition back into omnivoreism.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    It's very possible to be a vegetarian and get enough protein and iron. I know that's not the point of your question, but I'd just say that until you figure this out, use a protein powder or eat dairy to get your protein and take an iron supplement.
  • rbfdac
    You can get he protein and iron you need pretty easily without meat, provided that you eat the right foods. Greek yogurt has about 20 grams per cup. Eggs have 8 grams per egg. Beanitos are a type of chips made of beans that are fairly high in protein vs regular chips. You can also take protein supplements like protein powders and bars. I'm sure the other members on here would have so many brands to recommend to you that your head would spin.

As for your iron levels, you can take an iron supplement. Floradix is a really good brand. It's a liquid iron supplement at our store that's really popular because it's more easily absorbable than many other supplements and because it's non-constipating.

That said, if you still want to transition back into meat, most former vegetarians find it easier to start with processed meat products that really don't resemble "normal" meat at all, and move into other meat products from there. Stuff like hotdogs and bacon and chicken nuggets and stuff vs whole cuts of pork and chicken. Bacon in particular is considered by many former vegetarians to a sort of "gateway meat" to help make the transition back into omnivoreism.

What is this liquid iron you mention? I'm starting to think that maybe I should just stick with vegetarianism and be more diligent about high protein foods and making sure I get my vitamin C.
  • Azuriaz
    auddii wrote: »
    Eat grass-fed beef only.

OP, what about ground meats? I've also fallen in love with chicken sausages which come in tons of different flavors. And I agree with chicken and turkey breasts. You could also do lunch meat (although I'd avoid roast beef since that can sometimes have fat through it).

When they get the cloning thing cheap enough I bet there won't be any veins or gristle. Can't wait. Slaughterhouse free meat. There, cloners, I've found your marketing slogan. Now get busy with making it happen.
  • auddii
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Eat grass-fed beef only.

When they get the cloning thing cheap enough I bet there won't be any veins or gristle. Can't wait. Slaughterhouse free meat. There, cloners, I've found your marketing slogan. Now get busy with making it happen.

As someone who worked on a team who attempted to clone a dog, you have no clue how cloning works nor do you understand anything about a cloned animal...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Eat grass-fed beef only.

As someone who worked on a team who attempted to clone a dog, you have no clue how cloning works nor do you understand anything about a cloned animal...

I think this person is mixing up the projects to create cloned animals and the project to create "test tube" meat using cloned tissue.
  • Azuriaz
    Eat grass-fed beef only.

I think this person is mixing up the projects to create cloned animals and the project to create "test tube" meat using cloned tissue.

Yes, yes I am. Is it more proper to say test tube? How about I just call it vat beef?
  • auddii
    Considering the progress of current research, I actually see 3D printing of meat happening much faster than cloned tissue. The military is doing some very interesting research in that area.