5lbs in 5 days.

Options
So on Monday I decided it was time to take action I was unhappy with my weight I was 210lbs, 5'7 to begin with I'm 18 . I decided that I was going to go on my original lifestyle which was low carbs and more protein and moderate working out . So far I feel good I don't feel as hungry and all round just in a better mood. But I want to know is it ok to drop 5lbs in a week ?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its likely water weight. its not a big deal, just know it wont last ;)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Because you do have a bit to lose, and you're just starting out, you may see a dramatic drop in weight. Most of it is water weight anyways. However, it will even out eventually to 1-2lbs a week. If it doesn't, re-adjust your settings so you're not losing too fast. But for the first week or two? Normal.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Initially you may drop a big amount. Over time it will slow down. So enjoy it while you can.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight...it's fine as long as you don't expect to lose that quickly through your entire journey.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's normal to drop a lot of water when beginning.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I lost 6lbs in my first week and celebrated an amazing success! :)
    To me, be it or water or whatever - it was a loss. A loss I hadn't seen and wasn't used to! Well done!

It'll likely slow down to a healthy and safe rate of 0.5 - 2lbs per week - but it's always nice to get that nice big whoooosh at the beginning! It's encouraging.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to take measurements now and write them down. Then do that once a month. it is a good way to get a better picture of how you are doing. Neck, bust, waist, hips, thigh, calf and bicep are good to take.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Confirming the water weight statements. When you have a significant amount to lose, the first week or so will give you a nice "woosh" of water weight to inaugurate your efforts. The more you have to lose, the bigger this effect can be.

However, you should probably be aware of what I call the second week stall. Around week two or week three, your weight loss will hiccup. The access water will be gone, and you won't see much movement on the scale for about a week or two. During this time, some people stay the same, some still lose a little, and some actually gain (it's different for everyone).

It's nothing to be concerned about, though it does explain why so many people give up before the month goes out. It can be really discouraging. Around week four or five though, you'll start easing in to a normal weight loss rate (depending on your TOM, and other influences of water weight). Just don't give up and you'll continue to see results.
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started eating better and working out again two Mondays ago and dropped 12 lbs in 12 days. Of course, then I started my time of the month so I'm heavier right now, but I realize the initial big loss won't continue. MFP set my calories at 1200 but only puts me at a 0.9lb weight loss every week. I hope to lose more than that!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ugh people are so boring and discouraging with this "water weight" talk. ANYWAYS OP I was exactly that weight 2 months ago starting off and I'm your height and I'm now in the 160s so it can be done. Just keep at it :)

Oh really? How is that exactly. Giving false hope is exciting then.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs the first week of "clean" eating, haha, then only a few the next...don't worry and don't get used to it is my advice =)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ugh people are so boring and discouraging with this "water weight" talk. ANYWAYS OP I was exactly that weight 2 months ago starting off and I'm your height and I'm now in the 160s so it can be done. Just keep at it :)

It's just annoying when people are bursting your bubble, I don't see why 10 ppl need to come and say the same thing. We get it "water weight".

So now you don't like how you see this thread developed. How should it be improved for you? This thread is the OP's not yours.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

It's just annoying when people are bursting your bubble, I don't see why 10 ppl need to come and say the same thing. We get it "water weight".

Are we supposed to lie?
  • jacquelyntavita
    Options
    I have been eating clean since July 9,2015. I started at 178 with a height of 5'3. I am now down to 163 at the end of September plus many inches. I always make sure I try different clean eating recipes through Pinterest so I won't get bored and also precook meals to grab.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Won't worry as long as you feel good! Enjoy it because usually it slows down. Did you stop drinking soda or caffeine. .sometimes that leads to fast wieght loss
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    gallon of water weighs 8.3lbs. do you think the girl lost half a gallon of water

Get real people. She's been working hard. Ease up. GOSH. Get it girl
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    gallon of water weighs 8.3lbs. do you think the girl lost half a gallon of water

Get real people. She's been working hard. Ease up. GOSH. Get it girl

My hero!