Fast Food

Options
My Achilles heel has always been fast food when I try to lose weight. I started at around 300 and got down into the 220s. Now I'm up to 252. Was at 257 last week but I think all that quick weight coming off was probably just water weight. Always going good until I have fast food and then it goes downhill really quick. For anybody that's fighting the struggle of fast food addiction (I see it as an addiction), how do you overcome it? It's like trying to stop drinking and there's a bar on every street corner.

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    All I did was tell myself that I have to just be content eating a little of it. As long as you count calories and make sensible enough choices, you can fit fast food into a diet and still lose weight.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah I try that. Just something in my mind clicks and as soon as I eat a little bit, it's like my body says that I need more and more. Don't know how else to describe it. It always happens when my wife gets off work and we have to decide what to have for dinner. Wish I knew how to cook. Need to figure out what to get at the store next time so fast food doesnt even enter my mind.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    KptCirk wrote: »
    Yeah I try that. Just something in my mind clicks and as soon as I eat a little bit, it's like my body says that I need more and more. Don't know how else to describe it. It always happens when my wife gets off work and we have to decide what to have for dinner. Wish I knew how to cook. Need to figure out what to get at the store next time so fast food doesnt even enter my mind.

Why not take a cooking class? They are fun!! Really!! Foodtv is fun to watch and their website is loaded with how to's.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I brainstorm various solutions and then try them out. I keep the ones that work. I ride my cravings instead of fighting them.
    • One strategy I use is a late afternoon snack so I am not coming home ravenous.
    • Learning to cook sounds like another great idea.
    • You might be loving the salt, which would also explain how your weight goes up and down so fast. Have some salty go-to foods like pickles at home.
    • Nuts are fast food, and calorie dense too.
    • Decide what you are having for dinner in the morning and put it out to defrost or cook (i.e. slow cooker meals)
    • When the craving hits, drink a full class of cold water first. Still hungy? Even if you do eat afterwards, you'll eat less.
    • Pick the McWrap instead of the Quarter Pounder with fries and full sugar soda. The calorie difference is astounding.

You might find more ideas here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Why not take a cooking class? They are fun!! Really!! Foodtv is fun to watch and their website is loaded with how to's.

Watching foodtv sounds like a better option. My wife works nights and I can't drive because of my Epilepsy.

• queenliz99
    Options

Watching foodtv sounds like a better option. My wife works nights and I can't drive because of my Epilepsy.

Sorry to hear that!! Rachel Ray has 30 minute meals. A good place to start.
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I brainstorm various solutions and then try them out. I keep the ones that work. I ride my cravings instead of fighting them.
    • One strategy I use is a late afternoon snack so I am not coming home ravenous.
    • You might be loving the salt, which would also explain how your weight goes up and down so fast. Have some salty go-to foods like pickles at home.
    • Decide what you are having for dinner in the morning and put it out to defrost or cook (i.e. slow cooker meals)
    • When the craving hits, drink a full class of cold water first. Still hungy? Even if you do eat afterwards, you'll eat less.
    • Pick the McWrap instead of the Quarter Pounder with fries and full sugar soda. The calorie difference is astounding.

The funny thing is that I'm not starving or anything by the time she gets home. She works nights and gets home around 12:45 am. That's when we have our dinner/breakfast. The last time I eat is around 10 pm. Also, with the fast food, it's kind of an association too. It's weird but we usually eat fast food when we're watching those Gordon Ramsay shows. Just got some chicken tenders out of the freezer a while ago. Going to have those to eat tonight. We can make those and maybe get some corn or peas the next time we go to the store. I drink plenty of water all day. That helps fight my cravings. I usually go a few hours in between eating.

• Varamyr38
    Options

Sorry to hear that!! Rachel Ray has 30 minute meals. A good place to start.

The seizures are in control. None of those big ones. Just these ones called absence seizures where brain stops or something from anywhere between a few seconds to 30 seconds. Most of the time can't even remember they happened. Just standing and my brain stalls. They're more of an annoyance than anything.

• queenliz99
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

The funny thing is that I'm not starving or anything by the time she gets home. She works nights and gets home around 12:45 am. That's when we have our dinner/breakfast. The last time I eat is around 10 pm. Also, with the fast food, it's kind of an association too. It's weird but we usually eat fast food when we're watching those Gordon Ramsay shows. Just got some chicken tenders out of the freezer a while ago. Going to have those to eat tonight. We can make those and maybe get some corn or peas the next time we go to the store. I drink plenty of water all day. That helps fight my cravings. I usually go a few hours in between eating.

I don't no if this will help you or not, but learn to embrace hunger. Being hungry is not so bad. Of course if you have raging hungry that is different. Realistically there is nothing wrong with being a little hungry. It makes your next meal taste very good.
  • Moniwillo
    Moniwillo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I went from ordering the full meals to just having a burger or the nuggets or just an order of fries. I wouldn't allow myself more than one item and absolutely would not order a soda. Before I knew it, I was pretty much over it. I still eat pizza and stuff like that, but now I don't have to remind myself to only have one slice, my body gets full after the one slice on its own. And no I haven't reached my goal yet, lol so I'm not speaking from "I did this and now I'm super skinny" I'm still a big girl (194 lbs), but what I am saying is that it's the small adjustments that come together to make big differences. It's taken me 4 months to lose 27 pounds, but I'm trying.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Then I suggest you are picking fast food out of habit. Habits are powerful things.

You might enjoy Charles Duhigg's book on the Power of Habit.

What you do is replace your old habit with a new one. If you associate watching Gordon Ramsay shows with cuddling, togetherness, entertainment and comfort, plan a different association other than food when you watch these shows. I find it helps if it includes keeping your hands busy. For instance, you might get laser pointers and fool around with them while watching the show.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I used to eat while watching TV also, and it effected how satisfied I would feel once I finished my meal because I wasn't paying attention. I'm using past tense here, but I actually do still, on occasion, eat while watching TV. It is a very hard habit to break. Maybe a good first step could be not watching TV while eating fast food. Little changes, one at a time, have helped me make big changes. Keep up the good work.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I keep a limited amount of cash in my wallet, it's mostly for groceries but if I want some fast food, I have to budget out of that grocery money. Knowing I only have $20 in my wallet and I need to buy veggies for the next five days is an AMAZING motivator to not blow it on quick and easy stuff.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy it. Hit the grocery store instead. Once the habit is broken, it gets super-easy.

And if you must eat it, skip the fries. :)
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Fast food is one of those things I had to cut out from the get go.

I find that the more I eat it, the more I want it and then it just cascades downhill from there. I have it still like once a month or so, but that's it.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    However the OP claims they may have an eating addiction to fast food, which I can see. If you are an addict, going back for a little taste can suck you back into the cycle of addiction. Have you thought about talking to a professional about fast/food addiction?

I hate to say it, but the advice here is free the adage about getting what you pay for... well...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My Achilles heel has always been fast food when I try to lose weight. I started at around 300 and got down into the 220s. Now I'm up to 252. Was at 257 last week but I think all that quick weight coming off was probably just water weight. Always going good until I have fast food and then it goes downhill really quick. For anybody that's fighting the struggle of fast food addiction (I see it as an addiction), how do you overcome it? It's like trying to stop drinking and there's a bar on every street corner.

Do you log your food? Log everything you eat?

Do you weigh food you eat at home?

It's not the fast food, but the fact that you are eating too much food overall, that's causing weight gain. Everything in moderation and eat at your calorie goal to lose weight.

And, this comes from a girl who rarely eats fast food because I just don't like it that much.

Oh, by the way....cool avatar!
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Eggs and toast is a good default dinner, or tomato soup, I like to keep a few freezer meals around that I can throw in the oven or warm up in the microwave. Stew is always a good one, just make a batch, eat it one night and freeze the rest.

I am guilty of fast food and lots of it these days. What I do is eat about half my calories during the day and save the other half for dinner. So yesterday I had 700 calories at dinner time, so I order just the burger and a diet coke. No fries. Even if I want more, I don't have it to eat. The worst damage you can do with a fast food burger is 800 calories, so if you save that for the end of the day it should be fine. I tend to look up calorie content in advance and order what I know will fit my goals.

Now, you might not be full by just getting the sandwich, but I find that since I have been eating less, if I wait a bit my body is quite satisfied.
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Do you log your food? Log everything you eat?

Do you weigh food you eat at home?

It's not the fast food, but the fact that you are eating too much food overall, that's causing weight gain. Everything in moderation and eat at your calorie goal to lose weight.

And, this comes from a girl who rarely eats fast food because I just don't like it that much.

Oh, by the way....cool avatar!

Yeah I have a food scale and I know how to lose the weight. Usually falls off pretty quickly as long as I stay eating healthy. As quick as it falls off, it can come back on though when I eat "bad" food. I know some people hate when it's refers to like that. I think my diary is still open to everybody so feel free to check it out. I've been logging almost every day as I try to get back to eating well again.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I gave up TV and fast food three years ago. It was the best decision I ever made. I can maintain my goal weight and get lots of other stuff done too. I don't miss either one.