Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sugar withdrawal?

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Caffeine withdrawal. You are tired during the day and sleep better at night...cranky and on edge.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jtitus311 wrote: »
    Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal?

No, there's no such thing as sugar withdrawal (no more than there's food withdrawal just because starvation is unpleasant). Especially if you are eating sugar (which is in fruits and vegetables also).

....If you have actually cut carbs dramatically, it could be low carb flu, too.

Those two statements are a bit contradictory, IMO. There is a sugar withdrawal for many as there body adapts to a new way of using fuels. It is called the low carb flu when carbs are dropped a great deal. It is also called fat or keto adaptation.
    They're only contradictory if one presumes that "sugar withdrawal" == "low carb flu." It's certainly possible that "low carb flu" is not, in fact, "sugar withdrawal."

This. Low carb flu is indeed the body adjusting to using ketones rather than glucose (this is not the same as fat adaption -- people not in ketosis can still burn fat, of course). But that doesn't mean that there was something "addictive" or maladapted about the body's use of glucose. If the keto flu is "sugar withdrawal," than the symptoms of starvation are "food withdrawal" and dehydration is "water withdrawal."

I would disagree. You are exaggerating to try to make a point.

Withdrawal is the removal of something, often a toxin, when referring to health, or at the very least a less healthful, unnecessary substance, from your system and acclimating to a healthier set point. Sugar can be a toxin, diabetes wouldn't be as much of a problem is it wasn't.

Water and food are essential. Removing them is not what most would consider to be a withdrawal, but more of an attempt damaging one's health, not improving it.

JMO
    Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal?

No, there's no such thing as sugar withdrawal (no more than there's food withdrawal just because starvation is unpleasant). Especially if you are eating sugar (which is in fruits and vegetables also).

Those two statements are a bit contradictory, IMO. There is a sugar withdrawal for many as there body adapts to a new way of using fuels. It is called the low carb flu when carbs are dropped a great deal. It is also called fat or keto adaptation.
    They're only contradictory if one presumes that "sugar withdrawal" == "low carb flu." It's certainly possible that "low carb flu" is not, in fact, "sugar withdrawal."

This. Low carb flu is indeed the body adjusting to using ketones rather than glucose (this is not the same as fat adaption -- people not in ketosis can still burn fat, of course). But that doesn't mean that there was something "addictive" or maladapted about the body's use of glucose. If the keto flu is "sugar withdrawal," than the symptoms of starvation are "food withdrawal" and dehydration is "water withdrawal."

Wouldn't that be:

The symptoms of food withdrawal - starvation
    The symptoms of water withdrawal - dehydration

?

Nope.

Starving is your body reacting to not having food. The unpleasant symptoms associated with it (hungry, weakness, weight loss, eventual death) are not, of course, normally considered a form of withdrawal, but it would make as much sense to call them such as it does to call the keto flu "sugar withdrawal."

We normally apply "withdrawal" to the body's reaction to being without something bad for us. But the reason you get keto flu isn't that you were "addicted to sugar" or that sugar (here, glucose) is bad for us or we are dependent on it in a way that is contrary to our well-being. It's a normal reaction due to the fact that the human body normal runs on glucose and seems to prefer to do so.

I don't think we've established that OP is likely to have keto flu, as it's not clear that he's gone low carb, just that he's cut down on junk food.

For close to half of the population, the bolded is indeed true. Sugar is bad for us, we are dependent on it until fat adapted, and it is contrary to our well being. I do not think that human bodies run best on glucose, but I do believe it uses glucose first because it needs to get the glucose out of the blood stream before damage is done.

I don't know of a single health issue that could be partially caused by a ketogenic diet, but I know of many health problems that may be caused (partiall) by too much glucose.

I know OP is probably not eating a ketogenic diet, but he is cutting sugar and feeling it. I doubt it is in his head.
    . . .

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member

Withdrawal is the removal of something, often a toxin, when referring to health, or at the very least a less healthful, unnecessary substance, from your system and acclimating to a healthier set point. Sugar can be a toxin, diabetes wouldn't be as much of a problem is it wasn't.

Water and food are essential. Removing them is not what most would consider to be a withdrawal, but more of an attempt damaging one's health, not improving it.

JMO

Wouldn't that be:

?

Nope.

Starving is your body reacting to not having food. The unpleasant symptoms associated with it (hungry, weakness, weight loss, eventual death) are not, of course, normally considered a form of withdrawal, but it would make as much sense to call them such as it does to call the keto flu "sugar withdrawal."

We normally apply "withdrawal" to the body's reaction to being without something bad for us. But the reason you get keto flu isn't that you were "addicted to sugar" or that sugar (here, glucose) is bad for us or we are dependent on it in a way that is contrary to our well-being. It's a normal reaction due to the fact that the human body normal runs on glucose and seems to prefer to do so.

I don't think we've established that OP is likely to have keto flu, as it's not clear that he's gone low carb, just that he's cut down on junk food.

For close to half of the population, the bolded is indeed true. Sugar is bad for us, we are dependent on it until fat adapted, and it is contrary to our well being. I do not think that human bodies run best on glucose, but I do believe it uses glucose first because it needs to get the glucose out of the blood stream before damage is done.

I don't know of a single health issue that could be partially caused by a ketogenic diet, but I know of many health problems that may be caused (partiall) by too much glucose.

I know OP is probably not eating a ketogenic diet, but he is cutting sugar and feeling it. I doubt it is in his head.

Well said. I agree completely.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Azuriaz wrote: »

I wonder how much you are sleeping. When I changed my diet I cut caffeine (diet coke, tried to drink less coffee) and also stopped using sugar/quick carbs as a pick-me-up. What this revealed was not only my over-use of caffeine, but how much I'd been using food to compensate for too little sleep. My body started demanding more sleep, but that was good--I felt so much better. Now I've been falling back into my not sleeping ways (due to stress and life stuff), and find that makes eating properly so much more challenging -- for me it has much more of an effect on how hard this is than what I eat (although I do eat a mostly healthy diet).

Also, what about exercise? Have you changed anything?

If you have actually cut carbs dramatically, it could be low carb flu, too.

Anyway, if you are sleeping well, I think this will pass. What would be an issue is if you were tired but could not sleep.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

There is in rodents. I guess I have to face facts..I'm a rodent.

LOL! I must be as well.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    I do believe sugar is addictive and one can have symptoms that i characterize as the body going through withdrawal. Sugar is highly addictive. The more you eat, the more you crave. When I drastically reduced my sugar intake, it took about 2-3 months before I stopped having symptoms.

Whether you want to believe that you are experiencing withdrawal or sugar is addictive, I will say that many agree that yes, you can feel really icky for a while when you initially cut back on sugar. Hang in there!! It gets so much better once you get past this!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »

^^^^What this guy says.

^^^what she said about what that guy said.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Very subtle trolling. Wow. The skill....
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Very subtle trolling. Wow. The skill....

Lol!! Right!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I'm 34. Weigh 295 and I'm just shy of 6'3. I'm eating between 1700 and 2000 calories a day and exercising for about 1.5 hours a day

That seems a bit low isn't it? Calorie wise. If you're working out? I'm not exercising, I'm 5'4" and 190lbs and I am losing eating 1,500-1,700 calories per day without exercise. With some processed food too.

I agree with Verity. Are you eating some of your exercise calories back? I'm 6'2" and easily lost 1.5 lbs per week at 1800 without exercise. Also I didn't restrict anything, just ate a balanced diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

Correct. Low Carb Flu mainly is a "wheat" withdrawal per Dr. William Davis. I just read his last book Wheat Belly Total Health. He hits the Low Carb Flu chemical cause in the one hour video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    I have not researched the op diary but it sounds like classic paleo flu. She could also be having withdrawal go from processed sugars and caffiene. I got so sick when I kicked wheat and sugar I thought I had the flu. I went to the doc and he thought I had a flu strain the test could not read or I was coming down off a drug. I then saw an article on wheat belly and paleo flu... Sent it to my doc who looked at my food diary. He called it Atkins flu.

Anyway it took about a week to get rid of. I have been eating clean and have not gotten sick in 6 months. It sucks when to you have it but the far side of it is a much better place. Rest and drink lots of fluids.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Correct. Low Carb Flu mainly is a "wheat" withdrawal per Dr. William Davis. I just read his last book Wheat Belly Total Health. He hits the Low Carb Flu chemical cause in the one hour video.

Based on my own experiences, I don't know if I would agree that low carb flu is mainly wheat withdrawal. I gave up wheat a few years back due to celiac disease, and I did experience a withdrawal of some sort, I still remember that migraine, but it was by no means low carb. In fact I think my sugar consumption jumped because I switched to candies and GF treats which has even more sugars in it.

When I went LC, I experienced the low carb flu. It was very similar, if not less painful.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Fatigue is a symptom of so many things that it would be impossible to guess. If it were me, I would balance my macros, make sure I wasn't set for too aggressive of a deficit, and try to make sure I was getting enough sleep. A multi-vitamin while in a deficit is always a good idea, too.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

JMO

Wouldn't that be:

?

Nope.

Sugar is a toxin in the same sense water is toxin, or salt is a toxin. Everything is poison if the dose is high enough.
    Sugar is also fundamentally required for human life, like water or salt.
    I have a hard time imagining why animal that's not too distant ancestors were frugivores would run better using fat for fuel than sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Anytime someone says sugar is addictive....I want to invite them to a detox center where people are actually detoxing and going through withdrawal from addictive substances and then come back and talk to me.

+1
  • lemurcat12

Absurd.

Whether or not you get low carb flu has nothing to do with whether you drop wheat.

I dropped wheat for a while and had no "withdrawal" (presumably because my carbs were still around 100). The most credible mainstream nutritionists still take the position that whole grains are healthy and the studies show at least a positive correlation (and a negative one with sat fat).
  • lemurcat12
    senecarr wrote: »

JMO

Wouldn't that be:

?

Nope.

Sugar is a toxin in the same sense water is toxin, or salt is a toxin. Everything is poison if the dose is high enough.
    Sugar is also fundamentally required for human life, like water or salt.
    I have a hard time imagining why animal that's not too distant ancestors were frugivores would run better using fat for fuel than sugar.

Claiming glucose is like heroin, since the body prefers to run on glucose than other sources of energy, when every traditional human diet we know of is NOT ketogenic, is such a self-evidently silly position that it needs no response.

Again, if keto flu=withdrawal, the claim is not that excessive sugar is bad for us (which is obviously true) or even that sugar in any quantity is bad for us (which is generally false, certainly for normal people not on drugs like steroids or with a preexisting health condition or both), but that it is bad for us for the body to use glucose as fuel -- which is the norm in most if not all human populations.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

If that were the case, one would have it when removing what from the diet while going still staying at non-ketogentic levels of carbs. It would also be the case that people don't have it eating low carb while eating seitan or other forms of gluten protein free of the accompanying carbohydrates. I can personally attest that neither one of those is the case.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    emhunter wrote: »
    I do believe sugar is addictive and one can have symptoms that i characterize as the body going through withdrawal. Sugar is highly addictive. The more you eat, the more you crave. When I drastically reduced my sugar intake, it took about 2-3 months before I stopped having symptoms.

Whether you want to believe that you are experiencing withdrawal or sugar is addictive, I will say that many agree that yes, you can feel really icky for a while when you initially cut back on sugar. Hang in there!! It gets so much better once you get past this!

Absolutely. I was just on another thread where I was told by 'lemurcat12' that my sugar cravings were all in my head. Sugar is a highly addictive substance,and I'm trying to find my way out of it.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Anytime someone says sugar is addictive....I want to invite them to a detox center where people are actually detoxing and going through withdrawal from addictive substances and then come back and talk to me. I used to do evals all the time at my old job in jail. I did them many a time for people going through active withdrawal...and never, not once did I do an eval of someone in active withdrawal from sugar. It's just not there folks, but nothing I can say will convince those who want to believe they are sugar addicts.

I worked in an inpatient detox when I was in college. Just because the person coming off alcohol is more in danger of dying than the person coming off heroin doesn't mean heroin isn't addictive. Just so, sugar. While it's nothing compared to either, it still involves withdrawal for rodents, and I know I don't enjoy the first few days coming off it, either. I crave like mad, I hate the world, and I don't feel physically all that great either. Mild? Yes. A myth? Not for me.