Sugar withdrawal?

Options
I'm two weeks in to my new lifestyle and it is going really well. I'm exercising a lot and eating right. I'm down 8lbs so far. I'm now noticing just how much garbage I was putting into my body (ie sugars, fats and sweets). Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal? I haven't cut it out 100% but I have significantly reduced my consumption of it. I just thought I would feel better right now. Thanks for your feedback

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think it starts off different for everyone but I'm not sure you should be feeling tired and worn down...how many calories are you taking in per day? what's your height, weight, and age? what types of foods are you eating?
  • jtitus311
    jtitus311 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 34. Weigh 295 and I'm just shy of 6'3. I'm eating between 1700 and 2000 calories a day and exercising for about 1.5 hours a day
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It takes the body a while to adjust to a new level of carbs. Hang in there
  • jtitus311
    jtitus311 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm trying but I'm moody as hell and that doesn't fly too well with the pregnant wifey
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    jtitus311 wrote: »
    I'm trying but I'm moody as hell and that doesn't fly too well with the pregnant wifey

I'm with you there...I was definitely a bit more on edge the first week or so.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    If your carbs are quite low, or it is a large difference, consider upping your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium). When someone goes into ketosis, electrolytes must be (approximately) doubled because so much water is being lost. If your carb intake has changed drastically, your electrolyte imbalance could cause that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you reduce carbs, you increase fats and oils. Add butter, nuts, eggs, dark meat chicken, bacon.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Honestly your diet could be adjusting just fine, two weeks should be long enough to get over the hump of sugar withdrawal. Maybe it's more of your body getting used to a new workout routine. Exercise is a healthy stressor, but a stressor Non the less. Most of the time it takes a good 3 to 4 weeks before you feel energized from working out, until then it might make you drag. I say push through a modest fatigue and rest if you become increasingly tired. You're in a major adjustment and seem to be on the right track.
    It took my a good 3 months before I felt the energy boost from working out, now I look forward to it and feel awake and refreshed after.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal?

No, there's no such thing as sugar withdrawal (no more than there's food withdrawal just because starvation is unpleasant). Especially if you are eating sugar (which is in fruits and vegetables also).

I wonder how much you are sleeping. When I changed my diet I cut caffeine (diet coke, tried to drink less coffee) and also stopped using sugar/quick carbs as a pick-me-up. What this revealed was not only my over-use of caffeine, but how much I'd been using food to compensate for too little sleep. My body started demanding more sleep, but that was good--I felt so much better. Now I've been falling back into my not sleeping ways (due to stress and life stuff), and find that makes eating properly so much more challenging -- for me it has much more of an effect on how hard this is than what I eat (although I do eat a mostly healthy diet).

Also, what about exercise? Have you changed anything?

If you have actually cut carbs dramatically, it could be low carb flu, too.

Anyway, if you are sleeping well, I think this will pass. What would be an issue is if you were tired but could not sleep.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal?

No, there's no such thing as sugar withdrawal (no more than there's food withdrawal just because starvation is unpleasant). Especially if you are eating sugar (which is in fruits and vegetables also).

....If you have actually cut carbs dramatically, it could be low carb flu, too.

Those two statements are a bit contradictory, IMO. There is a sugar withdrawal for many as there body adapts to a new way of using fuels. It is called the low carb flu when carbs are dropped a great deal. It is also called fat or keto adaptation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Those two statements are a bit contradictory, IMO. There is a sugar withdrawal for many as there body adapts to a new way of using fuels. It is called the low carb flu when carbs are dropped a great deal. It is also called fat or keto adaptation.
    They're only contradictory if one presumes that "sugar withdrawal" == "low carb flu." It's certainly possible that "low carb flu" is not, in fact, "sugar withdrawal."

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, if you are still tired at this point, I would maybe talk to a doctor about it. Then again, when I dropped almost all sugars from my diet and went to 1500 calories a day, I had a headache for a few days and felt weak for about a week and a half. I'm just now starting to get my energy back.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I wonder how much you are sleeping. When I changed my diet I cut caffeine (diet coke, tried to drink less coffee) and also stopped using sugar/quick carbs as a pick-me-up. What this revealed was not only my over-use of caffeine, but how much I'd been using food to compensate for too little sleep. My body started demanding more sleep, but that was good--I felt so much better. Now I've been falling back into my not sleeping ways (due to stress and life stuff), and find that makes eating properly so much more challenging -- for me it has much more of an effect on how hard this is than what I eat (although I do eat a mostly healthy diet).

Also, what about exercise? Have you changed anything?

If you have actually cut carbs dramatically, it could be low carb flu, too.

Anyway, if you are sleeping well, I think this will pass. What would be an issue is if you were tired but could not sleep.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

There is in rodents. I guess I have to face facts..I'm a rodent.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

They're only contradictory if one presumes that "sugar withdrawal" == "low carb flu." It's certainly possible that "low carb flu" is not, in fact, "sugar withdrawal."

This. Low carb flu is indeed the body adjusting to using ketones rather than glucose (this is not the same as fat adaption -- people not in ketosis can still burn fat, of course). But that doesn't mean that there was something "addictive" or maladapted about the body's use of glucose. If the keto flu is "sugar withdrawal," than the symptoms of starvation are "food withdrawal" and dehydration is "water withdrawal."
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 34. Weigh 295 and I'm just shy of 6'3. I'm eating between 1700 and 2000 calories a day and exercising for about 1.5 hours a day

That seems a bit low isn't it? Calorie wise. If you're working out? I'm not exercising, I'm 5'4" and 190lbs and I am losing eating 1,500-1,700 calories per day without exercise. With some processed food too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks in to my new lifestyle and it is going really well. I'm exercising a lot and eating right. I'm down 8lbs so far. I'm now noticing just how much garbage I was putting into my body (ie sugars, fats and sweets). Even though I'm putting really healthy and nourishing things in my body, I feel extremely tired and worn down. I'm sleeping better than I ever have before. Is this sugar withdrawal? I haven't cut it out 100% but I have significantly reduced my consumption of it. I just thought I would feel better right now. Thanks for your feedback

It can take a good few weeks to become more efficient at utilizing ketones as fuel and being less reliant on glucose.

You are exercising a lot. For the first couple of weeks it is generally recommended that you reduce your exercise until you are over that period.

Increase your potassium (green leafy veg is great for this), even better when it's cooked in butter with salt and pepper and some chopped up bacon (better taste wise).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

This. Low carb flu is indeed the body adjusting to using ketones rather than glucose (this is not the same as fat adaption -- people not in ketosis can still burn fat, of course). But that doesn't mean that there was something "addictive" or maladapted about the body's use of glucose. If the keto flu is "sugar withdrawal," than the symptoms of starvation are "food withdrawal" and dehydration is "water withdrawal."

Wouldn't that be:

The symptoms of food withdrawal - starvation
    The symptoms of water withdrawal - dehydration

?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

That seems a bit low isn't it? Calorie wise. If you're working out? I'm not exercising, I'm 5'4" and 190lbs and I am losing eating 1,500-1,700 calories per day without exercise. With some processed food too.

That should be plenty to the required vitamins and minerals and depending on the output of the activity level, at 295lb the body has probably a few million calories to draw on for fuel.

OP once you are through the carb flu period, if you do find any of your workouts are lack luster, it may just mean a change around of meal timings.