When to let go??

Options
So i just need some advice..i deleted my mfp to start over because i had hundreds of followers not supporters..i also have other newtworks where i have thousands of followers..i am a person who loves to help people and try to save everyone ansd ive done this my whole journey people consider me to be very inspirational and motivational. However, Heres the problem.. Often times people like myslef are taken for granted and are used and not viewed as people but public figures of some sort. While i did not ask for this i have felt blessed to be a motivation and inspiration to others. Ive been on my journey for almost 2 years come june 28th 2011 and have lost 132 pounds since then. So heres my question..im to a point where i want to let go because i feel i dont get the support i always need but i constantly give it in these places..ive tried talking to others about this..and most say just stay their for the ones that are their for you..that you are helping..but when only have a handful out of thousands that follow you support you and give you feedback it can be frustrating because you need support too! fortunantly ive made this new MFP and i have a handfull of people i consider the most supportive peeps ever! they are my support something i havent had in looonngg time..but i still have this other networks..is it time for me to delete them and walk away 4 good?? hmmmm what to do..its really hard because i dont want to leave the few who do support me behind..what to do what to do :/

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Give them another means to contact you by (mfp? Facebook?). That way they can choose to maintain the connection or not.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    yeh, you sound like you should step away from the computer. your thousands of followers probably need a break too I imagine.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    1) (and I'm saying this because of your claim of fame) Who are you? I've been here for 1.5 years and don't recall you.

2) Being famous on the internet isn't really something to be proud about. Cats are popular. I don't think they care.

3) Congrats on your work and progress. Keep at it.

4) If you feel like you're giving too much support and not recieving it... heres an idea... cut those friends lose...

5) If you wanna walk away, thats fine. If you wanna just lose the weight without any friends, i'm sure that would be fine too. I decline abotu 20 friend requests per week. People talk behind my back. I don't really care because I like having a small number.

tl;dr: you should feel free to do whatever you wish. Including thinking that you're to famous for mfp and not using paragraphs
  • nikilis
    Options

1) (and I'm saying this because of your claim of fame) Who are you? I've been here for 1.5 years and don't recall you.

Yah, I've been on here for a year daily.... no recollection of you at all, and I get the feeling you are someone I would remember.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Messiah complex on line one, please hold.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

^The Messiah himself have spoken!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Starting over is a good thing. Just keep the people you want to be friends with and let the others go, they'll be fine, don't worry about them. This time I suggest you keep your friends list down to manageable numbers, only accept requests from people you think at the outset you might have something in common with and prune your friends list frequently. It's only the internet, they can manage without you.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    35iszg1.gif
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    1st world problems right here!:laugh:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I see this alot. People lose a little weight and think they're the god or goddess of fitness and health. Congrats on your huge accomplishment but you are no celebrity.

Finding a cure for Cancer and other horrible diseases ....that makes you someone special in my eyes.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This does sound a bit self-indulgent OP. Clearly, if you feel that you have "clingers" who don't give much back to you, you'd surely delete them? As for being a public figure or whatever, sure - I'm not disputing that but I don't know who you are (I don't know that many people on here, to be fair) but there are a lot of users on here in similar situations - big weight losses, MFP famous or whatever.

My advice is to cull your friends list - if you are giving out advice/support and nothing in return, well, that is pretty much self explanatory. Don't fret about it, this is YOUR journey, not done for anyone else - if you get support from others, that's great. If you can support people, even better. But remember this is about you and not them.

I add most people that FR me - purely because I don't have the time to weed out. If I see they are engaging in ED type behaviour, I'll delete them but let them know I'm here if they want to chat and make changes. I have to delete them because ED is a trigger for me.

I don't have the time to spend hours commenting on statuses or goals or losses or NSV. I hope my friends do know that I am proud of them though.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Personally, I keep as many followers as I can, as I know that they could eventually come in handy in my quest for world domination.

KDj9EQy.jpg
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of your weight loss and inspired by yourself and others.. If you don't like the people you are friends with, heres an idea, delete them! Actually, delete yourself if you honestly think that way.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Never. You need them more than they need you!. This is who you are. This is what makes you YOU!
    You are blessed in order to be a blessing.

You have a gift. Your support is coming from this gift that you have to help people. By helping and motivating others, you are in reality helping yourself. Perhaps your desire for support is derived from knowing your own weaknesses and not
    completely taking the time to apply some advice to yourself. Listen to what you are saying to others. Listen to what you already know what to do and apply it to your life on a level that only God and You would know. It is a quiet still voice that you have to really take a moment to yourself and listen and hear. The kind motivation you desire comes from within YOU. That weakness or feeling lack of support is what is driving You to become more enriched with the need to tackle your personal issues.
    The more you continue to help others, the easier it will become for you to not feel the need for support. Your weakness is your strength!

Letting Go. is not within you. You need to continue this journey. This is Your Journey and the people that of which you have been a blessing to will also be a blessing to you. You are a beautiful person. where it really counts. Within your heart.

MFP(what a wonderful website to find people like you)
    Thank you, stay and continue this journey. "Letting Go" is Not the answer. It's something else.

God bless.
  • nikilis
    Options
    ryan-reynolds-green-lantern-320x400.jpg

Ryan Reynolds thought he was awesome as green lantern.

I think you know how he feels now.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Personally, I keep as many followers as I can, as I know that they could eventually come in handy in my quest for world domination.

KDj9EQy.jpg
    I'm proud to be your henchman in the quest to World Domination! :bigsmile:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I do feel bad that I forgot to say well done on your loss.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    fortunantly ive made this new MFP and i have a handfull of people i consider the most supportive peeps ever! they are my support something i havent had in looonngg time..
    so, stick with those who are supportive.

Nobody *needs* friends lists of hundreds and thousands, believe me. And really - how supportive can YOU be, if you have lists of 1000s? it takes time and effort to give support.

Kudos for losing the weight and sticking to a healthier you!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options

i don't hold, i'm the messiah!
This discussion has been closed.