How do you track these calories?

Options
If you make a stock and intend to discard the stuff going into the stock, do you count the calories in the ingredients or no?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    alphaloria wrote: »
    If you make a stock and intend to discard the stuff going into the stock, do you count the calories in the ingredients or no?

You mean like carrots, celery, and onions? They really very low in calories, hardly worth bothering with, IMO.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just use the oxo versions calories in the database. There is no way to be truly accurate.
  • establishingaplace
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    alphaloria wrote: »

You mean like carrots, celery, and onions? They really very low in calories, hardly worth bothering with, IMO.

Yep, similar low-cal stuff.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I count them as though they stayed in the stock because 1) there isn't a lot of calories anyway and 2) i would rather overestimate my calories than underestimate.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I just use an entry for a low-sodium or salt-free commercial stock (since I don't salt my stock) for whatever kind of stock I made (veggie, chicken, or beef).
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one if you're using things like a a whole chicken with skin. It obviously will have a lot more fat and calories than one made from a cube.

After doing some research, this is what I figured for my homemade chicken stock. 86 calories per cup, and 2.9g of fat.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Since I always save the veggies and use them for something else, yes.