Frozen/canned vegetables - how do I make this stuff edible?

Options
13»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hello!

I've just moved to a part of the country where fresh produce is in very short supply and is astronomically expensive relative to what I am used to spending and my current budget.

What's left as an option is basically frozen produce (I just cannot stomach canned veg besides beans). Also isn't cheap but will at least keep for a longer term so at least I'm not wasting money via spoilage.

How in God's name does one make frozen vegetables palatable?! I typically roast my veggies with herbs and S&P for flavor and I'm not sure how to go about doing that with frozen, or if it's even possible. I can only handle so many microwave steamed broccoli florets before I lose my marbles.

Are there secrets to taming frozen veg that I'm just not aware of? Suggestions or advice are much appreciated!

Frozen broccoli & cauliflower is great in soups and casseroles. The texture of these hold up pretty well to freezing.

Frozen green beans hold waaaay to much water. I opt for frozen French style green beans. I can actually just thaw these and use in a salad. Good in a stir fry too.

Frozen carrots (ugh). These have a weird texture. Soups and casseroles maybe. Maybe puree it for soup.

Frozen squash is yummy in soups.

Canned.....blech! Grew up on these too.....blech!

So weird. Frozen green beans are the only one I can stomach as an actual side and not mixed into anything. I put them in a super hot pan and let all the water steam out, then add butter, salt and pepper until they're browned.

Eta, I'm lying because the fire roasted butter balsamic vegetables from Aldi or TJ I also eat as a regular side, but they need to be with some kind of starch or even a starch sub.

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love frozen veggies and make a big bowl with them in it once a day. They are the best.

.5 cup each of spinach, kale, "mixed", and broccoli (holy cow, I spelled it right without looking it up!)
    dump in bowl
    add seasoning: Lite Salt, Nu Salt, and Mrs. Dash
    drizzle some olive oil on it
    add various frozen meat: bird, pig, cow
    add sauces: BBQ, "southwestern" marinade, and a lil' Sriracha
    microwave for 3 minutes

When it comes out, chop and mix it all up with knife and fork. Put scrambled eggs on top of all this glorious mess, and eat. Awesome.

I do something similar.

Frozen broccoli, carrot and cauliflower.
    microwave 4 minutes
    Ground meat: chicken, beef or turkey coked in oil and burger seasoning
    Mix with veggies and 1ounce grated sharp cheddar cheese.

It's not awesome, but it's low cal and reasonably healthy.

• carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Some things to try:
    1. 1/2 slice of bacon fried dry with paper towel and crumble over vegs (I like to add sautéed onion w/bacon)
    2. Use stick butter and (Very) thinly slice 1/4 - 1/2 Tablespoon for flavor
    3. Chicken or Beef stock (Powdered - usually sold w/boullion) Chicken is my preference
    4. Bake skinless chicken in oven - add frozen vegs, salt/pepper/flavored powder stock/tomatoes and little water
    5. When making fajitas before fully cooked - slice and add thawed frozen vegs
    6. Great to add in any kind of healthy soup/stew/quinoa