Exercice, when?

Hi, I'm wondering if it makes a difference when I exercise during the day? I normally exercise after diner and I was losing weight almost every day and last week I started exercising before diner and I'm stuck at the same weight. Any suggestions!

Replies

• Exercise whenever is convenient for you. You don't lose more weight exercising at certain times of the day. I personally don't work out close to when I need to go to bed because I'm too amped to fall asleep. If it's only been a week that the scale hasn't moved, don't worry too much. Weight loss isn't linear. Give it a couple more weeks.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Exercise at whatever time you are available.
    Eating at a deficit is for body weight loss.
    Exercise is for fitness and good health.
    If you burn enough calories with exercise, you can also eat some more food.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    The best time is whenever you'll do it. I only get about 6 hours of sleep as it is, so no way in hell am I getting up earlier. I workout after work in the evenings.
  • syl20rochon
    syl20rochon Posts: 9 Member
    Same here, normally after diner but lately I get on the treadmill while diner is cooking.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Doesn't matter when, unless you have problems sleeping already. I had insomnia as a side effect of bipolar, so my doctor suggest getting my more intense workout done in the morning because the raised body temp would keep me up.

But if that isn't the issue, whenever is convenient for you. And weightloss isn't linear. Because you didn't lose this week has nothing to do with the time of your workout.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Whenever you're motivated to do is the best time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Whenever you can get it in. Like many people, I do it earlier because unless I exhaust myself, I cannot sleep for a few hours after exercising. I try to get a walk and swim in first thing in the morning. Peps me up and is an easy habit to form and keep.

Whenever works for you is best. :)
  • LeahEstevez4
    LeahEstevez4 Posts: 16 Member
    I have a question, do you guys log sex as exercise?
  • Liftng4Lis

Start a thread and no, that's normal daily activity.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Not sure how accurate this is but could there be issues with lifting weights first thing?

My understanding is your spine becomes more hydrated at night and early morning there is greater risk of injury.

Probably not an issue if doing cardio/body weight exercises.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Start a thread and no, that's normal daily activity.

lol...you go girl!
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited September 2015
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate this is but could there be issues with lifting weights first thing?

My understanding is your spine becomes more hydrated at night and early morning there is greater risk of injury.

0jjrv4o5xypl.gif
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited September 2015

I've been lifting heavy at 5 am for the past year with no issues. This is the first I'm hearing about spinal hydration. Do you have a source for this information ?

Just make sure to warm up properly and stretch and you should be good to go op.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Hi, I'm wondering if it makes a difference when I exercise during the day? I normally exercise after diner and I was losing weight almost every day and last week I started exercising before diner and I'm stuck at the same weight. Any suggestions!

@syl20rochon based on your info it sounds like exercising after diner works best for weight loss in your case.

We know the hormone Insulin can best help convert carbs to fat and store them when blood sugar is >100 (USA). When you exercise AFTER dinner I expect you may have been burning glucose so dropping your blood sugar levels before bedtime giving your body a better chance to lose weight.

If possible you could try to exercise after dinner again and see the results.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Carbs don't become fat, excess calories do.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member

@syl20rochon based on your info it sounds like exercising after diner works best for weight loss in your case.

We know the hormone Insulin can best help convert carbs to fat and store them when blood sugar is >100 (USA). When you exercise AFTER dinner I expect you may have been burning glucose so dropping your blood sugar levels before bedtime giving your body a better chance to lose weight.

It doesn't matter when you exercise. Only a few IF protocols call for exercising on an empty stomach before your 8 hour eating window for complicated biochemical reasons. It's all theory.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited September 2015

Please stop giving out advice!!

OP exercise whenever you want it.

To lose weight you need to be in a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis

You DO realize that exercise is unnecessary to weight loss right?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Exercise for health not for weightloss. Diet for weightloss. That is create a calorie deficit based on diet alone and only exercise if you feel like it and enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, exercise is great but people often lose motivation or don't feel like it and then their whole project falls apart becuase they get the guilts and which adds to the spiral.

So if you are doing it because you love it, fine. And exercise when it fits in with your day and energy levels.

if you have not lost anything over hte last week because or exercising before dinner, i'd suggest its your calories are too hight and not when you did your exercise.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

Nope. Just nope.