Honest thought. Am I wrong?

Options
13»

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Am I projecting my negative thoughts onto them? Can you truly look and feel attractive and happy when you are obese?
    Yes and yes. Work on your mind.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight all of my adult life. I have always loved the plus size bloggers and follow what they wear and wish I had their confidence. To clarify I'm talking about the very large bloggers 250lb plus. But since I've started this weight lose journey I've started to look at them differently. I've been on diets all my life loosing a stone here and there and then always putting it back on and more within a few months. This time its so different. I'm weighing myself which I've never done before, I'm changing everything about how I eat, buy food, move, think about food. I'm cooking, I'm using MFP religiously and I'm truly starting a real journey of being fitter and thinner. Now I look at these bloggers with sympathy and I'm feeling so guilty. I suppose deep down I don't believe that they really are as happy and healthy as their blogs and photos make them out to be. I've got so much weight still to loose but now I've made the choice to change and it's really working I can finally admit to myself that I was unhealthy, unfit and unattractive and making myself ill. Am I wrong for feeling this way toward these women that have inspired me for so long. Am I projecting my negative thoughts onto them. Can you truly look and feel attractive and happy when you are obese?

Yes, you are projecting your thoughts about yourself onto them. Don't pity them, that's patronizing. I don't believe that anyone is as happy as their blog/instagram/facebook makes them out to be. That's partly social media and partly how some people earn money and create a brand. Just because you follow them on social media doesn't mean you know their internal experience. They may well be genuinely happy with themselves. I don't believe that self-confidence, self-love and happiness are dependent on your weight. For many people there may be a correlation, but just as there many thin people who profoundly lack in self-love/happiness/confidence, there are also larger people who feel truly beautiful and confident. And that's not for you to judge. Furthermore, you can love yourself and feel good about yourself and still decide at some point that you want to improve your fitness or make lifestyle changes. Whether people look attractive or not is purely subjective to whoever is looking at them. Sure there are culturally accepted standards of beauty but that varies according to the time and place. It also doesn't account for individual preferences.

I agree 100% with this. I was obese for almost 25 years. I was always happy with myself, even when I was second category obese. I never internalized being "fat", I just was. It was my knee that decided enough was enough, so when I started having pain, I decided I needed to lose weight. It wasn't because I hated being fat. It was for my health because although my bloodwork had always come back good, I have a low pain threshold (and the thought of being disabled scared the crap out of me). Strength training and losing 72 pounds took care of my knee issues.

OP - the mental aspect of losing weight can be hard. Not many people talk about it, but it is real and it definitely takes some getting used to. Knowing yourself and how you react to things can be helpful. I, for example, didn't have any issues until I got to a US size 6 and was still 10 pounds overweight. At that point, my mind decided I didn't want to be too small. I liked having a bit of "heft". I started to feel that if I weighed less, I would be less. I changed my goals and have spent the last 14 months five pounds overweight. My mind has now caught up to my body, and last week I decided to finally get down into normal BMI. It took me 14 months to become comfortable with myself in this new body.
    Don't feel bad if you feel the need to get some help wading through the emotions. Many successful weight losers have sought help along the way.

Thank you for that, you are right in hat it's rarely talked about but it's a powerful driver for most everybody.

I had become so comfortable as a "big guy" that I have found my self at a tense crossroads between my goals of being healthy lean and strong and my old comfortable existence as a large guy and all that entailed.

Hell, just the normal experience of getting bumped into and being moved where a year ago most of the time people just bounced off me has given me a new and not always comfortable perspective lol.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been overweight all of my adult life. I have always loved the plus size bloggers and follow what they wear and wish I had their confidence. To clarify I'm talking about the very large bloggers 250lb plus. But since I've started this weight lose journey I've started to look at them differently. I've been on diets all my life loosing a stone here and there and then always putting it back on and more within a few months. This time its so different. I'm weighing myself which I've never done before, I'm changing everything about how I eat, buy food, move, think about food. I'm cooking, I'm using MFP religiously and I'm truly starting a real journey of being fitter and thinner. Now I look at these bloggers with sympathy and I'm feeling so guilty. I suppose deep down I don't believe that they really are as happy and healthy as their blogs and photos make them out to be. I've got so much weight still to loose but now I've made the choice to change and it's really working I can finally admit to myself that I was unhealthy, unfit and unattractive and making myself ill. Am I wrong for feeling this way toward these women that have inspired me for so long. Am I projecting my negative thoughts onto them. Can you truly look and feel attractive and happy when you are obese?

I am sorry in advance if I offend anyone, I am not trying to. But I think these bloggers try to make the best out of a not ideal situation. No one wants to be at a heavy weight, even if they are healthy at the moment eventually it can lead to all types of health problems. Also weight is heavy on us, I am not very overweight but I did gain more weight than I am used to and it is very hard on my body. I feel it in my knees and legs and notice I can't do activities as quickly as I used to. So I think these bloggers try to make the best out of the situations they are in and at the same time it is very nice of them to help others with fashion and advice who are in the same situation but in the end everyone should be working on a healthy life style.
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in the medical field, and I can tell you for a fact that a hundred pounds of excess weight is just not healthy. It causes so many problems. Everyone is living their own life and everything, people can look out for themselves, but you are trying to make yourself healthier and you should never feel bad for that. It's one thing to be happy with how you look; it's quite another to be healthy. Lots of people are skinny and unhealthy as well as fat and unhealthy. You do you, okay? You should never compare yourself to anyone else, just try to be the happiest healthiest you that you can be!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    We can all think what we like inside our heads, I know I have a lot of unpopular opinions that have to stay in there.

If the thoughts of pity keep you motivated to improve yourself then just go with it, but don't expect to have a civil conversation on the topic in most venues.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think there's plenty of evidence that fat shaming only provides more stress to its victims, which in turn makes it more difficult to lose weight . . . and for many women, they're not just fighting our society's propensity for fat shaming but also their own genes, career stress, you name it. Every fights their own battles, everyone has their own journeys. The bloggers who fight back against fat shaming are heroes - they know that for most people, change can't happen until fat shaming ends. They also know that sometimes there's no diet or work out plan that will change their body to fit our 'standards', so in order to be accepted, they have to fight the standards. They don't sound like victims to me. I think they're making a great difference in how we approach health, wellness, and perception of beauty.

I can tell you from my journey, I put on about thirty pounds over the past ten years or so just from stress and aging. After I switched to new job with much less stress about a year ago, I lost about twenty pounds. It wasn't any real special realization, epiphany or change in my thinking, it was just that I finally had enough money and time to join a gym and cook for myself. I don't think that anyone talking to me about my weight before my job switch would have made a big difference, honestly. I was pretty stressed out and glued to the computer all the time. There wouldn't have been much I could do to lose the weight, and it probably would have just upset me more.

But the reaction I received from people surprised me - a gentleman in my church insists that I must be starving myself, (I'm still ten pounds over that useless BMI standard, so I don't have a clue as to why he thinks I'm suffering from malnutrition). I'm pretty appalled that people would think that's what's happening, or that I'm doing something very special or different - I just got lucky this past year to actually achieve what I've been trying to do for a while. And yeah okay it took some hard work . . . . but it wasn't going to happen until I got my career path in order and could settle into a decent 9-5.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that every health journey is personal. You don't have to feel anything for or about your bloggers - it's not your job to tell them that they're wrong, they're just on a different journey.

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't judge obese people when they say they're happy, although I may not believe them in every case. I DO judge when they argue that being obese isn't a health risk factor, when I see that they're not raising their kids with healthy eating and exercise habits (I'm talking about people who have the means to do so.). I do judge when they act as if the world should accommodate them, for example, larger theater and subway seats, instead of looking at their own behavior.

A couple of years ago, I watched an HBO documentary about a group of morbidly obese women in the South. Supposedly, they were a happy, close-knit group, content with their weight. Then one succeeded in losing weight. There was a rift, as she began to look at them differently and they accused her of acting superior. One broke down and cried saying that many of the men interested in her were fat fetishists, not interested in her as a person. One died because of complications related to her weight.

Needless to say, I'm not talking about people who have no control over their weight because of genetic or medical issues or medication. But those people are not the ones arguing that being overweight doesn't matter.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only one who felt that way! I started blogging my story after I had lost about 50 lbs. When I started my blog, I started subscribing to other fitness and weight loss bloggers. There are links for the most popular weight loss blogs and that's how I found them. As I've continued blogging and writing about my story, my success and my journey along the way, I've continued reading their stories. Where I see progress in mine, I see sadness in theirs. I do feel badly for them and I wonder why they are so popular? Is their LACK of progress really inspirational? Is there inability to overcome life's challenges preventing them from working towards their fitness goals? I mean, that, to me is tragic.

My life is not that difficult. I have normal, every day challenges. But I have had my share of trials and I remain committed to my fitness journey.

On that note... happiness is something from within. I am not happy because I've lost weight. Losing weight has allowed me to feel better, to enjoy life, and THAT has made me happy. When I weight 232 lbs., I was in constant pain and depressed. I felt like my life was out of control. Now, I go hiking on the weekends. I ride my bike and enjoy nature. I pursue new opportunities. I feel alive. That makes me happy.

Here's my story: http://traceyfit.blogspot.com
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't know a 2nd language (unless you count computer programming). I really wish I did though, and I think I'd be a better person for it. Happier even. All else equal, people who are bilingual have advantages in employment, many social situations, and can have culturally rich experiences traveling to those countries where their 2nd language is spoken. Whenever I'm asked if I can speak more than one language, it is assumed that an affirmative answer is better. Yet, somehow, I've never felt the urge to start a blog reveling in the fact that I'm happy being monolingual. That would be rather odd, I think.
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    After I quit smoking, when I saw someone smoking I felt sorry for them and so proud of myself. That didn't feel very good to me. So I started to just send a quick blessing to them in my thoughts so they might find the power to quit too. I do that when I see overweight people too. Just a quick "I honor you and your path." We can never really know what is best for someone else or what their journey entails. Everyone is just doing the best they can.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!