Cheat days and Pepsi Max

Options
13»

Replies

• jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see a study where sodas diet and otherwise improve the quality of my life, and Health {bones, teeth, hair, metabolism , weight , energy levels}

You would think with the multi millions the soda industry are making they would be able to come up with one.

While I don't drink Pepsi Max, I will drink the heck out of regular Coca-Cola. It does improve my life, since I enjoy drinking it. I don't expect it to do much more than that (and keeping me awake with caffeine).

Food intake isn't about "all or nothing." Moderation, man, moderation.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    4. Aspartame is a popular artificial sweetener, both as a stand alone product and as a food and beverage ingredient.

Several rat studies have shown aspartame to cause leukemia and tumors. However, industry sponsored studies and heavy pressure on the FDA have allowed aspartame to receive the coveted GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation.

How about quoting the dosage?

This!!!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how it affects your weight, you have to bear in mind that artificial sweeteners as with any other substance that has "artificial" in its name, are probably not the best stuff to put into your body. And diet soda is full of exactly that.

I'm sure if you have a can of Pepsi Max every once in a while that's not a problem (and given the tons of sugar in normal Coke/Pepsi probably the more sensible choice), but pumping your body full of caffeine, food colouring, and artificial sweeteners on a daily basis (and swishing fizzy drinks round your teeth) sounds pretty awful.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how it affects your weight, you have to bear in mind that artificial sweeteners as with any other substance that has "artificial" in its name, are probably not the best stuff to put into your body. And diet soda is full of exactly that.

I'm sure if you have a can of Pepsi Max every once in a while that's not a problem (and given the tons of sugar in normal Coke/Pepsi probably the more sensible choice), but pumping your body full of caffeine, food colouring, and artificial sweeteners on a daily basis (and swishing fizzy drinks round your teeth) sounds pretty awful.

So...if something is natural, then it's automatically good for you? Man made doesn't mean bad, natural doesn't mean good. There are good and bad foods in both areas.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You can ignore Minnie and the copy and paste stuff.
    Sugar substitute sodas have no correlation to the high blood sugar or depression studies she's posting.
    For each pH study posted there are real studies with actual long term use of soda that show no correlation at regular amounts of soda drunk. If you drink 5+ cans per day, yes perhaps think about reducing a bit. Otherwise, meh.

And i'm not trying to justify my own behavior, I don't drink soda because I don't like the taste.
    The epidemiological studies show that people that have poor nutritional behavior are likelier to drink soda; not that soda is always bad, particularly diet soda.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is go to Science Daily and do a search on Diet Sodas , sugar, high fructose corn syrup,

eg here are some of the studies that have come up
    Soda and Illegal Drugs Cause Similar Damage to Teeth: Acids Erode Enamel

May 28, 2013 — Addicted to soda? You may be shocked to learn that drinking large quantities of your favorite carbonated soda could be as damaging to your teeth as methamphetamine and crack cocaine use. The ... > full story

So, we should also stop ingesting any acidic foods?

Hold the Diet Soda? Sweetened Drinks Linked to Depression, Coffee Tied to Lower Risk

January 8, 2013 — New research suggests that drinking sweetened beverages, especially diet drinks, is associated with an increased risk of depression in adults while drinking coffee was tied to a slightly lower ... > full story

"The study involved 263,925 people between the ages of 50 and 71 at enrollment. From 1995 to 1996, consumption of drinks such as soda, tea, fruit punch and coffee was evaluated. About 10 years later, researchers asked the participants whether they had been diagnosed with depression since the year 2000. A total of 11,311 depression diagnoses were made. People who drank more than four cans or cups per day of soda were 30 percent more likely to develop depression than those who drank no soda. Those who drank four cans of fruit punch per day were about 38 percent more likely to develop depression than those who did not drink sweetened drinks. People who drank four cups of coffee per day were about 10 percent less likely to develop depression than those who drank no coffee. The risk appeared to be greater for people who drank diet than regular soda, diet than regular fruit punches and for diet than regular iced tea."

Also, I hate to do the 'correlation' thing....

In addition, sounds like coffee is a good thing...makes me happy!
    Even in Normal Range, High Blood Sugar Linked to Brain Shrinkage

September 3, 2012 — People whose blood sugar is on the high end of the normal range may be at greater risk of brain shrinkage that occurs with aging and diseases such as dementia, according to new ... > full story

This is about blood sugar levels...not soda specifically and definitely not about diet soda. You do realize that other things spike your blood sugar levels, right? The study was also conducted on 60 - 64 year olds who I assume were not particularly active.

"The study involved 249 people age 60 to 64 who had blood sugar in the normal range as defined by the World Health Organization. The participants had brain scans at the start of the study and again an average of four years later. Those with higher fasting blood sugar levels within the normal range and below 6.1 mmol/l (or 110 mg/dL) were more likely to have a loss of brain volume in the areas of the hippocampus and the amygdala, areas that are involved in memory and cognitive skills, than those with lower blood sugar levels. A fasting blood sugar level of 10.0 mmol/l (180 mg/dL) or higher was defined as diabetes and a level of 6.1 mmol/l (110 mg/dL) was considered impaired, or prediabetes."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitute sodas have no correlation to the high blood sugar or depression studies she's posting.
    For each pH study posted there are real studies with actual long term use of soda that show no correlation at regular amounts of soda drunk. If you drink 5+ cans per day, yes perhaps think about reducing a bit. Otherwise, meh.

And i'm not trying to justify my own behavior, I don't drink soda because I don't like the taste.
    The epidemiological studies show that people that have poor nutritional behavior are likelier to drink soda; not that soda is always bad, particularly diet soda.

Werd.

I do not drink soda, diet or otherwise myself as I prefer my lattes - which apparently will make me less depressed according to one of the studies. :happy:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Werd.

I do not drink soda, diet or otherwise myself as I prefer my lattes - which apparently will make me less depressed according to one of the studies. :happy:

Werd to you werd.
    I love my coffee, as you know. But alas correlation, umhnmhm, causation isn't..... :bigsmile: