Crossfit?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    tufel wrote: »
    No. There are no "studies" that say it occurs. There are reports. A few reports. Show me one "study" that concludes that rhabdo is a common problem in Crossfit, one study that shows that it happens frequently enough to be a legitimate concern in Crossfit specifically.
    i would also be interested to know where you got the idea that good coaches are "not the norm." How many Crossfit gyms have you visited? How many Crossfit coaches do you know? And, do you have any legitimate reason -- facts, please -- to believe that Crossfit coaches are less trained and less knowledgeable than the average personal trainer?

There are a ton of them in my area and I have two friends that are certified coaches and they completely agree with that statement. I have an education in Exercise Science, two certifications and I know how to program for strength and your typical WOD does not do that. One friend in particular quit CrossFit to focus on strength and power development and trains with John Broz here in Vegas; if you don't know who that is I suggest you look him-up.

Your typical strength & conditioning coach, notice I didn't say the word "trainer", will have some certification from the NSCA, NASM, or the ACSM. Of which is also accompanied by at least a BAS in Exericse Science, Exericise Physiology, or Kiniesiology. That's not always true of NASM, but to be an S&C a degree is typically required along with an appropriate certification. NONE of this is required to become a level 1 coach. Does this mean that no CF coaches have those certification? Of course not, I'm sure many do but not all and it's not a requirement. If you compare apples-to-apples a CF coach is generally less educated.

I can see you're the type of person that has made up their mind and even though I am supportive of CF you want to argue with me like I'm a f'ing idiot. I'm done, if you take the time to re-read my comments and don't put words in my statements, IM me and we can have an intelligent conversation as we've side-tracked this thread enough.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2015
    Your NASM strength and conditioning coach might be available at a university, but they are not available to the average lifter in a Gold's.
    You have sidestepped my question. What about your claims that the injury rate is higher than other forms of weightlifting? Show me a study that has tried to quantify the injury rate and found it to be unreasonably high. Show me a study that rhabdo is a serious concern, that it happens, say, more frequently than a bicyclist gets in a serious accident.
    You don't like Crossfit. That is fine. But, you don't have to chime in and try to put it down with unsubstantiated claims. I don't like swimming. But when someone asks about it here, I don't post: "You know, swimming really isn't the optimum way to build strength and people drown! Sometimes they get bit by sharks too. it's dangerous and it's really not the best training. Plus, most of those swim teachers at the 'Y'? They're not the best. They've never swam intercollegiate division !. They really don't know what they are talking about."
    Oh yes, and you say you know two Crossfit coaches, and you said previously that there are a lot of bad coaches out there. So, I guess that means you think your two coaches are bad coaches? The fact that they say the other guys aren't any good is meaningless and not credible. Those other Crossfit coaches they criticize are their competitors. What do you expect them to say? I'm a journalist, and I have never met another journalist who isn't convinced he's better than all the others, and that those other guys are a little suspect...
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    People get hurt going anything. I believe people are more prone to be hurt in crossfit because they are all about speed and lose thier form! Good crossfit trainers will encourage form over speed any day. I attend a gym where the owner was a wieght lifting coach before doing crossfit. So form is the up most importance. plus all the classes are small so there is always time with the coach. There is even a 65 year old women that attends and she has been going for years and no injures.
    Just like all gyms try the crossfit in your area and see how it is! If therr is alot of pressure and not much coaching on form I wont suggest it.
  • antennachick
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Don't forget the part about you must eat Paleo. Must. That seems to be an immutable premise of the whole Crossfit craze."

OK there's a deal breaker. Thanks for the heads up
    I have been to 3 different crossfit gyms and they never recommended paleo...just saying
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I have a friend on Facebook who does it, and talks about it a lot.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Don't forget the part about you must eat Paleo. Must. That seems to be an immutable premise of the whole Crossfit craze.

That's my general impression. That, and the jargon, and the apparent pushing you too hard make it seem almost like a cult.

But I haven't tried it, so I can't knock it. Just like meth must be good although I haven't tried it. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2015
    "Don't forget the part about you must eat Paleo. Must. That seems to be an immutable premise of the whole Crossfit craze."

I have been to 3 different crossfit gyms and they never recommended paleo...just saying

Strange. I know at least two dozen people who do (or did) Crossfit (in several different "boxes") and every.single.one of them switched to Paleo when they started Crossfit, at the urging of their trainer and/or 'boxmates" (or whatever they call them).
  • GiddyupTim
    So...........you're afraid to go near Crossfit because you'll get contaminated, or indoctrinated, or whatever, and you'll swear off bread?
    There are worse things.
    Paleo actually takes a lot of discipline.
    Far as I know, nowhere in the Crossfit Cult Rule Book does it say you "must" be paleo. As a matter of fact, there isn't one "must" in the Book. You do something if you can, and want, and you don't if you don't want.
  • antennachick

Strange. I know at least two dozen people who do (or did) Crossfit (in several different "boxes") and every.single.one of them switched to Paleo when they started Crossfit, at the urging of their trainer and/or 'boxmates" (or whatever they call them).

Probably depends on the state and the trends there. Actually one of my coaches was vegan so that was different. Another one was just was clean eatting. And the other one eat pizza ha. So it varies but I won't say that paleo is required for crossfit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    So...........you're afraid to go near Crossfit because you'll get contaminated, or indoctrinated, or whatever, and you'll swear off bread?
    There are worse things.
    Far as I know, nowhere in the Crossfit Cult Rule Book does it say you "must" be paleo. As a matter of fact, there isn't one "must" in the Book. You do something if you can, and want, and you don't if you don't want.

It's not a matter of being 'afraid'. I won't go near Crossfit because I don't like the way they train and don't like the cult feeling of it. That's my opinion and personal preference, nothing more. I don't do Olympic lifting, powerlifting, yoga, Pilates or marathon training either, doesn't mean I'm afraid of them.

I'm not one of the critics who blindly condemns Crossfit without knowing anything about it - I've looked into it, talked to people who do it, seen the workouts ("WODs"), understand their reasoning for what they do - I just don't like it or agree with it. If I walked into my gym to start my workout (which I've designed for my specific purposes, goals and circumstances) and a bunch of guys said I had to do snatches, kip pullups and box jumps instead, I wouldn't stay in that gym either.

As far as Paleo taking discipline, sure it does - so do many other fad diets. Eating raw vegan takes even more discipline, but it's not something I have any interest in pursuing. The amount of discipline required to adhere to a diet doesn't correspond with the diet being proper, virtuous or scientifically sound. I think the principles behind Paleo are flawed and based upon pseudo- /junk science, and I don't believe in diets which arbitrarily exclude foods or entire food groups for no good reason. I prefer to eat in a way that's enjoyable and sustainable for me, and Paleo is neither.

Regardless of what the "Crossfit Cult Rule Book" says or doesn't say, all I know is my my own personal observations, which, as I said before, are that every single person I know who started Crossfit (somewhere in the two dozen range) also immediately went Paleo. Whether it's required or not, it's been my experience that the two seem to go hand in hand and there certainly seems to be some kind of pressure or indoctrination involved for the correlation to be that high.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
  • Orphia
    There are worse things.

It's not a matter of being 'afraid'. I won't go near Crossfit because I don't like the way they train and don't like the cult feeling of it. That's my opinion and personal preference, nothing more. I don't do Olympic lifting, powerlifting, yoga, Pilates or marathon training either, doesn't mean I'm afraid of them.

I'm not one of the critics who blindly condemns Crossfit without knowing anything about it - I've looked into it, talked to people who do it, seen the workouts ("WODs"), understand their reasoning for what they do - I just don't like it or agree with it. If I walked into my gym to start my workout (which I've designed for my specific purposes, goals and circumstances) and a bunch of guys said I had to do snatches, kip pullups and box jumps instead, I wouldn't stay in that gym either.

As far as Paleo taking discipline, sure it does - so do many other fad diets. Eating raw vegan takes even more discipline, but it's not something I have any interest in pursuing. The amount of discipline required to adhere to a diet doesn't correspond with the diet being proper, virtuous or scientifically sound. I think the principles behind Paleo are flawed and based upon pseudo- /junk science, and I don't believe in diets which arbitrarily exclude foods or entire food groups for no good reason. I prefer to eat in a way that's enjoyable and sustainable for me, and Paleo is neither.

Regardless of what the "Crossfit Cult Rule Book" says or doesn't say, all I know is my my own personal observations, which, as I said before, are that every single person I know who started Crossfit (somewhere in the two dozen range) also immediately went Paleo. Whether it's required or not, it's been my experience that the two seem to go hand in hand and there certainly seems to be some kind of pressure or indoctrination involved for the correlation to be that high.

Well said.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    There are worse things.

Well said.

Have to agree.
  • Blossom41290
    Blossom41290 Posts: 27 Member
    i injured my back in crossfit and it is super expensive and all the extra gear is expensive, the special shoes and gloves. I would only suggest to do it if you are wanting to get serious about it as an actual sport.

Some people it is great but it is not for me, that is my personal opinion.
  • GiddyupTim
    There are worse things.

But, why the hate? Why not just don't post at all.
    As I mentioned in previous posts, I don't like swimming. But I do not feel the need to pipe up with criticisms of swimming.
    Many here in this thread seem to feel the need to chime in with unsubstantiated statements about Crossfit. Such as: that there is this surfeit of incompetent coaches; that it is unreasonably dangerous; and that practitioners are dropping like flies from rhabdo. (Yes. i am exaggerating your statements a bit to make a point. But, the fact is, for instance, that one would not feel the need to warn of bad coaches unless one believed it was a common problem. Otherwise, why bother?)
    These statements are backed up only with hearsay and a few anecdotes. There is no substantive evidence that any of those things are true.
    And, if Crossfit is such a subpar and inherently dangerous workout, why is it's popularity growing so fast? And, why is powerlifting still a fringe sport?
    (BTW, on the paleo. I am going to guess that any diet not specifically prescribed for an individual by a qualified nutritionist is going to have some shortcoming. But, the point is, often one develops discipline in their eating by practicing vegetarianism, or whatever, and once they start watching what they eat that closely they tend to cut out much processed foods and they eat healthier overall. You can criticize their paleo. i can criticize yours (and my) white bread and occasional soda.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Actually, there is no evidence that people who do Crossfit are any more prone to injury than people who do any other form of strenuous activity. And, when people have attempted to collect fair and accurate data on injury rates they have found that the injury rate is about the same as for any type of weight lifting in the gym, and less than for running or any type of active sport. The injury rate found in one of those studies was 3.1 injuries per 1,000 hours of participation. That was no different from the rate for Olympic lifting, powerlifting, and general fitness workouts. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294)

That is just one study and if you do a search on "rhabdomyolysis and crossfit" I'm sure you'll find research indicating that there have been incidence of rhabdomyolysis with CrossFit. Bottom-line, all forms of exercise and training need to be intelligently applied.

I've done CrossFit. My main focus, longer distance triathlon, doesn't allow for me to do CrossFit as well right now. I know tons of people who do it or have done it, including those who compete. I've only known one person to suffer from Rhabdo, a rather mild case. He just finished an Ironman distance triathlon. Guess I should quit triathlon.
    Yes, you can end up with rhabdo in CrossFit. But you can with many other popular sports as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Mark Rippetoe put it best: Crossfit is fine "exercise" but it's not "training".

I prefer regular strength training over crossfit shenanigans.

21st Century, Mycophilia!
    My son, 21 years, does Crossfit. He deadlifts over 450 pounds and backsquats above 300 pounds and can clean-and-jerk 185 pounds.
    I'm pretty sure Crossfit has been "training" for him. Oh, and by-the-way, he can run and has a pretty awesome vertical leap too -- unlike your bodybuilders!
    I have watched those Crossfit competitions too. The thing that strikes me about them is how all the competitors look like super-heroes, with cut abs and big shoulders.

Your son probably found a good CF coach to have developed strength. Generally speaking of course, CF does not have good program design for really growing strength; it's more of general physical preparedness, which is not a bad thing by any means. But it's just the difference between strength training and exercise, I'm not knocking it.

Yes, CF athletes are in good-shape but they do train differently. Many of the CF competitors are already accomplished Olympic Lifters or Power Lifters which is where their strength comes from, so there is a difference between what you see in competition versus your local box. Lastly, CF has been hit by PED usage which helps build such physiques. My understanding is that PED testing is still not good and a lot of it slips through. Not that I even have a problem with intelligent PED usage but it does change how one performs while maintaining low body-fat.

The owner of the CrossFit box has his own Olympic lifting coach specifically to gain strength. The box I went to both offers regular CrossFit class (which often include a strength building component) but there is also the opportunity to work on strength outside of the WOD. Most people there who are looking to compete work on strength outside of the daily WODs.
    NOt everyone wants to build strength. Some people are just happy to do the workout and make some small gains with that. Those who do want to make gains can also work for that as well.
  • GiddyupTim
    Thank you, Ms Dogs!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I'll let Dom explain.

https://youtu.be/qnjYyfkcaNI
  • Orphia
    :smiley: LOL, nice, @cityruss