Crossfit?

Options
Hi guys, was wondering if anybody was into crossfit and would recommend it as a good way of keeping fit, and getting leaner and stronger?
By the end of April I was in decent fitness and was regularly dancing, going to the gym and doing metafit classes, but after 5 months or so of relaxing and doing very little exercise and eating lots of junk (I did spend three months in the USA) this summer I am looking to kickstart my routine again. I've gained around 7lb which isn't too much, and I am back on eating well now (mostly) and I started back at dance last week (I dance with my university society, nothing professional, just for fun really).
I have a wedding in November that I already have my dress for and at the minute it is small and won't do up all the way. Ideally I'd like to lose around 10-14lb and I have just under two months to do so.
Anyway, one of my friends at university is really into crossfit and she is in amazing shape. One of the most muscular yet feminine girls I know, she's stunning. We were talking about it today and it does sound great. However I have a very busy schedule at the moment with Uni, studying, my job, dance and church and I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit it all in. I'd love to be in great shape though and feel like crossfit is a lot more helpful that just doing it yourself at the gym as they coach and encourage you through everything. It's also quite expensive at around £65 a month for my nearest centre.
If anybody has any advice, that'd be much appreciated. I really would like to burn fat and build some more muscle again, as earlier this year I was getting in the best shape I'd ever been in in my life. I I still have a lot further to go though and I think that crossfit may be the answer.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to be in good physical shape then give CF a shot, just try and vet the different boxes in your area for the best coaches so you are taught properly and can avoid injuries. CF coupled with good nutrition and you'll be able to manage your weight as you want to.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, was wondering if anybody was into crossfit and would recommend it as a good way of keeping fit, and getting leaner and stronger?
    By the end of April I was in decent fitness and was regularly dancing, going to the gym and doing metafit classes, but after 5 months or so of relaxing and doing very little exercise and eating lots of junk (I did spend three months in the USA) this summer I am looking to kickstart my routine again. I've gained around 7lb which isn't too much, and I am back on eating well now (mostly) and I started back at dance last week (I dance with my university society, nothing professional, just for fun really).
    I have a wedding in November that I already have my dress for and at the minute it is small and won't do up all the way. Ideally I'd like to lose around 10-14lb and I have just under two months to do so.
    Anyway, one of my friends at university is really into crossfit and she is in amazing shape. One of the most muscular yet feminine girls I know, she's stunning. We were talking about it today and it does sound great. However I have a very busy schedule at the moment with Uni, studying, my job, dance and church and I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit it all in. I'd love to be in great shape though and feel like crossfit is a lot more helpful that just doing it yourself at the gym as they coach and encourage you through everything. It's also quite expensive at around £65 a month for my nearest centre.
    If anybody has any advice, that'd be much appreciated. I really would like to burn fat and build some more muscle again, as earlier this year I was getting in the best shape I'd ever been in in my life. I I still have a lot further to go though and I think that crossfit may be the answer.

10-15 pounds by November is going to be a long haul, unless you have a ton of water weight to lose 15 lbs in two months is hard. I agree with the other post CF is not what is on the website, and it is. The gyms that pay thousands of dollars a year for the Crossfit name vary. Try to find one that uses a linear progression style programming with a solid beginner program that will teach you the proper movements without a clock or competition mentality. Save competing until you can meet the strength, flexibility, and endurance abilities necessary to do it safely. One the other hand the "main site" is a sham with no programming and no real way to track progress.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    I love crossfit because it helps me to see results in a variety of ways. Weight coming off, body shape changing, and gaining strength.
  • franfran1821
    franfran1821 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit! I just started at the end of august
  • helenmelon17
    helenmelon17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. I am gonna contact my local centre and give it a go. My friend who's already really into it has agreed to come along with me for the first session so I don't find it too daunting :smile:
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome! Just a heads up you usually get leaner but sometimes the scale wont move much. That is because you are also building muscle which is a good thing! I totally suggest you contact a gym and see about trying it. Some gyms offer a try it free class and then they have a beginning program that helps prepare you for the regular class. But depending on how your trainer/gym owner is I believe its worth the money! Be sure that they are paying attention to form and keeping you from getting hurt. Sometimes in crossfit they get all about how fast and forget the form which equals hurt. Good luck to you!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome! For everyone and for every goal!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    Crossfit is awesome! For everyone and for every goal!

So true! There are ways to modify or make it more intense so its for every level! And its know for making you overall stronger to do anything. I know a 65 year old that has been doing crossfit just so she could be able to lift heavy things around the house herself.
  • taterfit
    taterfit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Started crossfit two months ago and got hooked immediately. Not only from the aspect that it has helped me get into the best shape of my life but mentally it has helped to teach me that I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to even when you hit those moments when you feel like you can go any further. Good luck!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    ...eating lots of junk (I did spend three months in the USA)

What's that supposed to mean? lol

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like crossfit...with some caveats. 1 it varies widely from box to box, a good box is great, a bad box is horrible. 2 adjust your ego to your fitness level, don't be afraid to push, but also don't be afraid to back off. 3 use open gym to work on things rather than relying solely on the wods. 4 work a lot of the movements strict if you want to gain strength, before moving on to some of the bizarre incarnations used to gain speed.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Every Cross Fit Competition I see on TV shows me people doing many many reps of an exercise with poor form just looking to get injured. Is this an exercise program for regular people looking to get/stay in shape?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Every Cross Fit Competition I see on TV shows me people doing many many reps of an exercise with poor form just looking to get injured. Is this an exercise program for regular people looking to get/stay in shape?

Crossfit should not be judged by what you see on tv during the games & competitions. That isn't what it looks life in real life with regular people.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Crossfit should not be judged by what you see on tv during the games & competitions. That isn't what it looks life in real life with regular people.

Agree.

1. The big competitions display competitors that train for the event that don't really use the traditional WODS to get in-shape; they train differently for competition. Many of the men and women you see that blow through the Power Snatch or Deadlift ladders have a background in competitive Olympic Lifting and / or Powerlifting, so it's not a good representation of your typical CF box.

2. Go to any gym and watch people doing more traditional strength training and let's talk about poor form and poor programming. As somebody said above, a good box is great and a bad box is horrible; just as a good trainer is going to be great and a bad trainer is going to be horrible.

There are a handful of exercises that CF uses that I don't like but by in-large CF has done a great thing for our society in that it's motivated people to get off their *kitten* and exercise and exercise intensely at that. Don't hate on CF in-general, hate on the bad coaches that run a box.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

You say this, yet during the broadcast, below the name of every competitor at every event is the name of the Crossfit organization they represent. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a full competition on ESPN, but do they have a disclaimer that says something to the effect of what you're saying?.........."even though ESPN calls this the CrossFit Games, this isn't what real CrossFit looks like in real life with regular people"
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

There are a handful of exercises that CF uses that I don't like but by in-large CF has done a great thing for our society in that it's motivated people to get off their *kitten* and exercise and exercise intensely at that.

Watching the CrossFit games has motivated me to say "nope, nope, nopiddy, nope.....big bag of nope"
    Don't hate on CF in-general, hate on the bad coaches that run a box.

Can I just hate that CrossFit refers to their gym as a "box"?
  • cdlee1010
    cdlee1010 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a month now and love it. I played hockey growing up so it really reminds me of a great mix of strength and cardio that push your body. I'm not training for any type of games either so I really don't pay much attention to PR's or Metcom times...just get moving!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe put it best: Crossfit is fine "exercise" but it's not "training".

I prefer regular strength training over crossfit shenanigans.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

There are a handful of exercises that CF uses that I don't like but by in-large CF has done a great thing for our society in that it's motivated people to get off their *kitten* and exercise and exercise intensely at that.

Watching the CrossFit games has motivated me to say "nope, nope, nopiddy, nope.....big bag of nope"
    Don't hate on CF in-general, hate on the bad coaches that run a box.

Can I just hate that CrossFit refers to their gym as a "box"?

Yes, calling it a "box" is f'ing stupid.

I'm not into CF style of training by any means, primarily because the programming for strength is generally not there unless the coach is awesome at what they do.
    Mark Rippetoe put it best: Crossfit is fine "exercise" but it's not "training".

In-large that is true, but there are good coaches that do take the time to do real programming for strength with CF. I've listened to some interesting podcasts, so they're out there but probably the minority.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OK so CrossFit isn't what is presented on TV as CrossFit. So what is CrossFit, how is it different that what is presented on TV, and why is it better than lifting, cardio and/or body weight routines?

Truly, I only know about it what I have seen.