Kind of Cool Fitbit thing

Options
This seemed like a good place to share this as I think it's a little too silly a thing to be excited about anywhere else. BUT...I got a fitbit charge hr a month ago and have been tracking my calories each day. So I just did the calculation of my avg daily burn vs avg daily intake to get my avg daily calorie deficit, which I then multiplied by 30 days and divided by 3,500 to get the amount of weight I should have lost if my logging and fitbit's stats were both accurate. It turns out, I should have lost 8.8 pounds in this time; I, in fact, lost 8.2. So I then took the difference, divided by 35 to get the calories this equals and then divided by 30 to find out how off my info was each day. It was exactly 70 calories - an insignificant amount.

Now, it turns out that I have not been logging my 1-2 espressos (made with a tablespoon or two of half and half and a tsp or two of sugar - neither measured) because it just didn't really seem worth it as I figured it was under 100 calories and is the only thing I don't bother with. But that's right about 70 calories. MEANING...my logging and my fitbit are both essentially 100% accurate. My logging is really pretty precise so it also means that I can feel very confident in my fitbit numbers.

This is exciting because it's really empowering because I feel like I have real data I can assess, trust and work with. Obviously, there are lots of other variables and it will not always work out this neatly, but it means I have tools that can help me to figure out a basic trend - hopefully downwards:)

Wanted to share because it was exciting, but also to share that I really do think you can count on fitbit (at least the HR one). And for the record, my calorie burns are pretty high - on a day where I feel like I do almost nothing, I'll burn 2,400 - 2,600 and on a day where I walk a lot (over 14,000 steps) or workout (couch to 5k or bike ride), I'll burn 2,600-3,300. My averages are 2,900 cals burned and 1,900 cals eaten. So I definitely do not feel deprived - I eat a desert most nights and have a beer or 2, 1-3 nights/week.

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit the first of July and have been using a spreadsheet to calculate pretty much as you have. In that time mine has been consistently over 90% accurate. As of today it is 98.79% accurate. That is good enough for me. It is one of the two best weight loss purchases I have ever made. The other is my digital food scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a jawbone or fitbit, but have used GPS apps to count my distance and estimate steps. The new iPhone does it for me now.

A friend of mine got an Apple watch last week and I was checking out the stuff he showed me. It's fun. I won't be buying one - I'll let my phone do it - but I get why people enjoy it.

I'm glad you enjoy yours. :)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!! 100 cals per day = 10 pounds per year, and that's basically how I got from 150 to 300 pounds over the course of many years.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NYC- thanks for sharing! I have a charge HR and love it; good to know how accurate it is!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it and have found it to be very accurate as well. Now I just need to log my food accurately... ;)
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I too have the Fitbit Charge and love it. But as well as the previous poster mentioned, I too need my logging to be more accurate.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Great news! I got a very similar result--like within 1% of theoretical. I actually wondered whether I had unconsciously biased my logging so that my calculated deficit would match actual weight lost, over a 14 week period. But that would be crazy, right? Or genius.
  • pandyg180
    pandyg180 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just bought a charge this past weekend. I'm in love! It is great how I wake up each day with calories burned just from sleeping. I log my food on MFP and I synced it to fitbit. Also every step gets counted and I dont have to worry about having my phone on me all the time to track my steps on an app.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing with the data from my Fitbit charge HR as you did and my results were also spot on. As long as you log your food intake accurately you can can pretty much use it to make sure you maintain your 1000 calorie deficit each day. I average about 2500 burned per day which allows me to eat 1500 calories. But I have also noticed that as I have lost weight I now have to exercise more to get to that 2500 calories burned. It does get me off my couch because I like up the 2 pounds per week loss. It's a very useful tool.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I love the geekiness of this post! I can relate; I did pretty much the same thing with my Fitbit Flex and my spreadsheet data. Post is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10092120/30-days-with-fitbit-warning-long-and-geeky

Mine wasn't quite as accurate as yours. Over a 30-day period it was off by roughly 100 calories per day or so. But I also had to take into account how arbitrary the start and end dates were since the Fitbit is calculating instantaneous velocity (more or less) while the spreadsheet was calculating average velocity. In plain English, I could've started or ended my 30-day period on an unusually high or low weight day, which would throw off the data. So I also compared the Fitbit data to the trend weight for the same time period as logged by my Libra app, and I got a difference of roughly 100 calories... in the other direction.

Bottom line: It's never going to be 100% accurate. But it's a pretty decent guide.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit for about 3.25 years. When you compare my logging to my Fitbit burns during that time, I "should" have lost approximately 167 pounds. I've actually lost 0.6. Now, obviously there's an issue with my logging as well (admittedly, I go through fits and spurts where I will weigh and measure EVERY morsel that enters my mouth for weeks and weeks, and then I get burnt out on that and go a little lax for a few days-weeks, rinse and repeat, though I'd say I've got pretty darn accurate logging about 80% of the time since May of 2012, and very generous estimates entered on the less-than-accurate days), but not to the tune of 500+ calories per day, every single day, for over 3 years - for me, personally, Fitbit's calculations MUST be significantly off as well. So, I'm sincerely very happy for you, and I mean absolutely no snark nor any disagreement with your results, but I just felt like I needed to mention the other side of the coin for other Fitbit users who read this post - YMMV, basically.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting! I have an HR and love it. I confess too that my logging isn't spot on so I can't run these kind of calculations - I'm a stickler during the week, but slack off on the weekend - that hasn't stopped me losing weight, just means I can't look at my data with your sort of accuracy!
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there's a way to change your weight to your goal weight in fitbit for a day to see what your calories burned for the same activity would be at that weight? I find my fitbit tdee is pretty far above what most standard calculators assume it should be and so I would love to have a more accurate idea of what my calories would be at maintenance. I tried doing this yesterday by just switching the weight, but the cals burned didn't change. Is this something I would need to do at the beginning of the day? And if so would it throw off all my calculations or could I go back in and change it at the end of the day?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Great post and totally agree! Fitbit is pretty accurate I've found but it does take logging really accurately to get results.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there's a way to change your weight to your goal weight in fitbit for a day to see what your calories burned for the same activity would be at that weight?
    Have you posted this question in the Fitbit Users group? I think you would get a lot of answers there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Great post! I love my Fitbit and never leave home without it! :smile: I haven't tracked with a spread sheet but I can say for sure that the calories consumed and burned synced with MFP is extremely accurate!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I did all the same math at one point. I too was off by about 75 calories every day and I was vexed. I was weighing everything. I later realized that fitbit has a way of extrapolating your exercise through to midnight. Whenever I'd have an evening class with a high step count late in the day, it would give me extra calories assuming I'd stay active. But I'd eat a late dinner and then crash. I finally started looking back the morning after a sync and realized it would change by about 50-60 calories the next day and I'd be in the red. I still eat back my exercise calories, but I always leave a 75 calorie buffer if I exercise after 6, lol.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Those are very exciting numbers and results, thank you for sharing!
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm one for which it's not accurate. I weigh and measure all of my food, I cook from scratch a lot so I manually enter all my recipes, etc. but I should have reached my goal weight a long time ago with the Fitbit numbers and I should be able to eat much more than I can to lose weight. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but unfortunately the numbers just don't add up for me. It's very, very frustrating.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Even if the Fitbit numbers are off for you, they still give you a baseline from which you can develop usable data. You can do the same exercise I did to determine the daily variance (eg, you seem to be burning 300 cals less than Fitbit says) and the you can create a food called Fitbit adjustment and enter those calories or enter a negative cal exercise for that amount. This adjustment should then give you a working number tailored to your actual experience.

I should also note that I have a charge HR, which I think is much more likely to be accurate.