The i am not fat anymore struggle?

I know i am not fat and i feel much slimmer but there is still a voice in my head saying i am fat. I look in the mirror and see some of the negative parts of my body despite the fact that there is a lot less of me, people say i have lost weight, i look slim but i am just finding it all too much at the moment.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Replies

• veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    I have the same thing! I was just had surgery about 2 weeks ago and the doctor said "You will recover fast, your healthy and thin" I couldn't believe he said that, I don't consider myself thin.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Yes. I used to be 190 pounds 12 years ago. I went all the way down to 109 and ever since I've fluctuated between that and 140 when I stop working out/caring what I eat. 140 pounds is my "oh my god you're going to be 190 again if you don't step it up right now" weight. Whenever I see it on the scale, I lose weight again. When I lose weight, my mind still focuses on the negative parts of my body and the parts I want to change. My line of thinking varies between me thinking "Wow, I really did lose weight!" and "Hmm, this still looks the same and you still don't look right here." I think the fact that we used to be obese is going to stick with us for a long time. It's that mentality of "this was me once, so will this be me again if I slip up down the line?" People will tell us we look good, not to worry, etc. but it doesn't matter in the end. It sucks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    It takes quite a while for the head to catch up with the body, it took me about a year to starting thinking that I was slim.... there are still days I feel fat though!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Yes, but I'm actaully still pretty fat.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    I'm partway through my weightloss journey and am down 56 pounds. I still see myself as the same as i was before, still putting on my fat clothes even tho they are too big lol. My friends are coming over soon & doing a clothes purge for me :)
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Yup I still fill the same way, even though it's been a year and 20lbs lost. Everyone always tells me "you're not fat, stop!" But to me, I'm still that same almost 200lb girl.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Yes. This is more common than you might think, I assure you. I think the important thing is to always remember just how far you have come. Before and after photo's are an amazing way to notice differences as well as keeping a pair of jeans from 'before' and putting them on from time to time when you need that assurance. You've done fantastically and you look fabulous. Remember that!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I still have a way to go, so I'm not necessarily thin, but I'm no longer obese.

I've lost 60lbs since my highest weight. About 10 lbs ago, I was over the moon and saw how amazing I look. Suddenly, I feel like I don't look any different. I know that I do, but I don't see it anymore. I don't see it in pictures, I don't see it in the mirror, I just don't see it. I know that the clothes I used to wear are hanging off of me. I know that the pants I'm wearing used to not even pull all the way up. I'm just at a weird place right now.

It ebbs and flows. Eventually your brain will catch up. It helps to have other people around you that you can talk to about this stuff. My husband is great and reminds me that I look amazing. It really does help.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    yes, of course. I'm wearing a dress today that I've had forever and it is ALOT larger on me than its been in the past, despite the fact that I still suck in my tummy when I walk by a window or mirror... I know I'm way down in weight but sometimes we still see the negative. Just remember you are doing great and you are looking amazing!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Yes, I go through that. We see ourselves every day, so the changes are hard to notice. These days, I notice my loose skin hanging down more and know I've lost. That is a better gauge for me, lol. That's not something I'm used to seeing, so it screams "You've lost more weight!"

Just the other day, I logged my weight as 175.2. I was like, "Is that wrong? No, that's what the scale said. It was .2." I kept thinking it was off, though, and suddenly realized DUH! I'm 157, not 175! The transposition didn't look wrong. I'm not at these new weights long enough for them to seem correct, ever. 175, 157...it's all the same to me at this point.

My thought about my size have changed, though. It took a long time (certainly longer for me than for others I've seen post about this), but it's starting to happen. Some of the Fat Girl thoughts have left my brain. I think my brain is sometimes still a little behind my body, but I'm catching up.

It just takes time. When everything is constantly changing, it's hard for the brain to keep up.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Photos help me way more than the mirror. Both ways. I take one and go oh wait, not fat anymore! If I've been gaining weight, however, the mirror will lie, the camera will often tell the sad truth.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I may always feel fat.

I really hate my loose skin. X( It makes me look flabby IMHO.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I'm the opposite. I don't feel fat or think of myself as fat, but I am most certainly fat. I'm 40lbs overweight. Which actually puts me in the obese bmi range. But I feel good and I still think I'm cute.

Self perception is a funny thing.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    I'm the opposite. I don't feel fat or think of myself as fat, but I am most certainly fat. I'm 40lbs overweight. Which actually puts me in the obese bmi range. But I feel good and I still think I'm cute.

Thinking you're cute, you might really be. Plenty of women I know carry way more fat than I ever could while still being cute. Also, yay confidence, which always makes anyone cuter!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    *Grabs XL size from clothing rack.*
    Says: "I'm so glad I'm not a size 22/24 anymore. Doo, doo, doo..."
    *Tries on XL and looks in mirror*
    Says: "How come this XL size is so big?!?"
    *Remembers she's now actually a M.*

I have accepted I'm not obese. Seven years later I still don't understand that the size Ms on the rack will fit me now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yes, though I've been slowly starting to see myself as a thinner than i was.
    I wouldn't worry too much. maybe it takes our brain a minute to catch up with our bodies
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I think we are all our own worst critic and I see things I want to improve all the time. I think it's important to recognize how far you have come and not overly obsess on things, wanting to get better is a good thing!
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Just the other day, I logged my weight as 175.2. I was like, "Is that wrong? No, that's what the scale said. It was .2." I kept thinking it was off, though, and suddenly realized DUH! I'm 157, not 175! The transposition didn't look wrong. I'm not at these new weights long enough for them to seem correct, ever. 175, 157...it's all the same to me at this point.

This exactly happened to me the other day down to the numbers. I looked at the scale and saw 157 and thought, the scale is broken, you didn't lose 20 pounds in a couple days. 176 was my starting weight, so I have that number stuck in my head and so it is easy for me to believe I'm still there. I'm healthier than I've been in a long time, and that's what matters, even if I still want to lose a bit more.

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    *Grabs XL size from clothing rack.*
    Says: "I'm so glad I'm not a size 22/24 anymore. Doo, doo, doo..."
    *Tries on XL and looks in mirror*
    Says: "How come this XL size is so big?!?"
    *Remembers she's now actually a M.*

I have accepted I'm not obese. Seven years later I still don't understand that the size Ms on the rack will fit me now.
    This is me to a "T". I was doing some volunteer work and we all had to wear the logo'd tshirt, the director hands me a shirt and said, "Here you go, medium right?" I said, "No, XL a medium is too small." She looked at me like I was crazy and told me to put on the shirt and come back if I still needed the XL. She didn't know me at the heavier weight. Yes, the medium fit just fine.

• RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member

This is so me, except that I am good 100lbs overweight. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I'm fat, but I don't feel how fat I really am until I see a picture or my refection. That's depressing!!! :(