Day 4 of low carb

Options
This is just a quick question for anyone that is doing or has done low carbs. I am starting day 4 and this morning I woke up at 4:30am feeling great but now at 9:30 I am feeling really off. Like about to cry over nothing. I will admit I am at work and have huge deadlines that are very overwhelming so I'm not sure if that could be it. Has anyone else experienced that kinda low / emotional reaction on low carb?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It can also be a reaction to simply not eating enough.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

You need more fats and oils like butter, bacon, avocados, fried eggs. Go get a cheeseburger at some place nearby and skip the bun.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Low-carb isn't for everyone. I simply cannot handle "low carb" as I get hungry very quickly after eating and also get very grumpy. Low carb might not be for you either.

However... Yesterday you had a very low calorie day. You were meant to eat 1700 and only ate 1000. Even if you aim to eat only ate half of your exercise calories, you are still really far behind. You might be "banking" some, but such a big deficit would make most people a little moody the next day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Low-carb isn't for everyone. I simply cannot handle "low carb" as I get hungry very quickly after eating and also get very grumpy. Low carb might not be for you either.

However... Yesterday you had a very low calorie day. You were meant to eat 1700 and only ate 1000. Even if you aim to eat only ate half of your exercise calories, you are still really far behind. You might be "banking" some, but such a big deficit would make most people a little moody the next day.

This^

If there is a medical reason for low carb - then plan your day better so you can come closer to goal. You just need a calorie deficit to lose weight. The method you use to arrive at the deficit is up to you.

But, if there isn't a medical reason then low-carb may not be for you (it's not for me either). I don't do low carb because it won't be a lifestyle change for me. If I eat one way to lose weight....then maintenance is what exactly? I don't want to have to figure that out down the road.
  • Drum722
    Drum722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You need more fats and oils like butter, bacon, avocados, fried eggs. Go get a cheeseburger at some place nearby and skip the bun.

This is more or less what I was going to say. I experienced the same thing after starting a modified paleo diet and was so confused as to why everyone was saying they felt great all the time. So I started adding more healthy fats to my diet and I definitely noticed the difference. In the mornings I'll usually eat eggs with a whole avocado and some black coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It can also be a reaction to simply not eating enough.

This.

The way low carb works is you up the fats to compensate for the lowered carbs.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I tried 'low carb' for literally, one day and I felt exactly how you are feeling. By the evening, I was miserable and depressed, mainly at the thought of having to go low carb from there-onwards! I stopped there and then and went and ate a baked potato! Low carb isn't for everyone - it CERTAINLY isn't for me. It also isn't necessary for weight loss. Most of my calorie allowance is made up of carbs of all kinds and I'm VERY content, not miserable and most definitely losing weight :)

A lot of this is trial and error.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Low-energy as a result of going low-carb is part of the transition and yes it can be a bummer. You try to do your regular workout and feel as though your energy level keeps dropping ..... but it will plateau. After that it starts going back up. In the meantime, it is very tempting to give in to a quick-fix of high-carb food. Don't do it.

What's happening is you are conditioning your body to transition from carbs as your main energy source to fat. The good news is that as a carbohydrate centered energy system you have roughly 2,000 calories of reserve energy but as a fat centered energy metabolism, you have roughly 20,000 calories of energy reserve.

Work through it and you will see the reward.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    This is just a quick question for anyone that is doing or has done low carbs. I am starting day 4 and this morning I woke up at 4:30am feeling great but now at 9:30 I am feeling really off. Like about to cry over nothing. I will admit I am at work and have huge deadlines that are very overwhelming so I'm not sure if that could be it. Has anyone else experienced that kinda low / emotional reaction on low carb?
    You're probably either not getting enough fat or simply not getting enough calories overall. Maybe both. Fats are essential for our endocrine system to function.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Perhaps go maintenance or don't count calories at all the first two weeks if you are going very low carb (as in ketosis). Your body has enough to deal with without a deficit, too. Or mine always does. I love low carb, but for at least a few days of the first two weeks it's rough.

I also get the crys as I transition (not depressed, just sentimental over everything). It's just my brain's own weird little reaction to switching fuels. After that, I get happier. So well worth it.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Low-energy as a result of going low-carb is part of the transition and yes it can be a bummer. You try to do your regular workout and feel as though your energy level keeps dropping ..... but it will plateau. After that it starts going back up. In the meantime, it is very tempting to give in to a quick-fix of high-carb food. Don't do it.

What's happening is you are conditioning your body to transition from carbs as your main energy source to fat. The good news is that as a carbohydrate centered energy system you have roughly 2,000 calories of reserve energy but as a fat centered energy metabolism, you have roughly 20,000 calories of energy reserve.

Work through it and you will see the reward.

This. The first few days are usually a bit rough but once your body makes the transition you'll feel normal again if not even better.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advise. I will not give in I know I can do this just was a bit shocked as I don't remember it happening before.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Eat more fats.....
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    There are several low carb/keto forums worth joining. Go to Groups, enter nothing in the search box, just hit search groups or whatever it says. It default sorts by number of members. This makes it likely you'll find the most active groups. Join several. Lots of help there. Mindset is a huge part of low carb. We are not trying to willpower our way through this. Low carb is a tool to reduce the need for willpower by satiating our hunger (the first two weeks are still sometimes rough, so I don't mean that will be as easy!).

Also just in case: If you are diabetic, tell your doctor you are going low carb, you might need to change some medication amounts. You might even be able to come off some medications, but to do it safely, you need your doc!
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Jonny Bowden, PhD has written a lot on the subject of Low-Carb. He also has a lot of information on You-Tube.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Eat more fats.....

How much fat? I have my goals set at
    20grams carbs 90 grams fat and 75grams protein. Last time I just went to 20 net carbs(Atkins) but didn't track fat or protein.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Your calories are only 1190? That is too low.
    Eat more fats.....

20grams carbs 90 grams fat and 75grams protein. Last time I just went to 20 net carbs(Atkins) but didn't track fat or protein.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.

If you are set for sedentary, it doesn't matter if you "think" it's crazy, you should be eating some of the calories Fitbit sends you. It accounts for your activity setting and gives your adjustments based on activity above that level.

You have history of not eating enough, so beware of not using your device properly if you don't want to go down that path again.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more fats.....

But how many total calories did you eat? I think you should eat more overall calories.