Day 4 of low carb

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat keto, whch is what your carb macro will put you into. My macros are about 20g C, 110g F, and approximately 85g P (5/70-75/20-25%). I eat 1500calories per day, give or take 500 calories.

My guess is that your body is going through the keto flu, or fat adaption, so your stores of glycogen are down and your body has not started relying on fat oxidation. No fuel = no energy.

Also, when you cut carbs you lose water weight, which will result in a loss of electrolytes. Low sodium (salt), magnesium and potassium can cause you to feel ill (keto flu). Headaches, fatigue, moodiness, constipation and nausea can result. Up your salt and you will probably feel better. Have a bowl of salty broth every day, salt all the food that could use it, and maybe even add some salt to water (I add a tsp of salt to water every day because I don't salt all my food). 3000-5000mg of salt per day will be needed for the next few weeks.

Hang in there! Once you up your electrolytes, and maybe your calories too, you'll feel better soon.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I switched to low carbs about 9 months ago and have lost almost 50lbs, it was a bit odd at the start, almost like my body was getting used to running on the new kind of fuel but I feel so much better these days and do not plan to go back to higher carbs if I can help it.

I dont feel hungry and generally have plenty of energy which was very different to the way I used to feel when still eating carbs
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Eat more fats.....

How much fat? I have my goals set at
    20grams carbs 90 grams fat and 75grams protein. Last time I just went to 20 net carbs(Atkins) but didn't track fat or protein.

But how many total calories did you eat? I think you should eat more overall calories.

No idea probably a lot at first till I lost my hunger then actually probably less. I didn't track it so it's hard to say.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more fats.....

20grams carbs 90 grams fat and 75grams protein. Last time I just went to 20 net carbs(Atkins) but didn't track fat or protein.

But how many total calories did you eat? I think you should eat more overall calories.

No idea probably a lot at first till I lost my hunger then actually probably less. I didn't track it so it's hard to say.
    So maybe comparing what you did then to what you're experiencing now isn't really fair? Now you ARE tracking calories. If you want the experience you had before, you could try going back to not tracking overall calories.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Eat more fats.....

So maybe comparing what you did then to what you're experiencing now isn't really fair? Now you ARE tracking calories. If you want the experience you had before, you could try going back to not tracking overall calories.

Point taken.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Eat more fats.....

I get the "eat more fats" advice but, really, if you're cutting out carbs you're going to be eating lots of fats and protein because that's what is left. :smile: Just make sure you aren't eating mostly lean protein and your fats will be where you need them to be.

You said earlier that you don't eat back your extra calories from Fitbit. I'd suggest that you simply listen to your body and if you find yourself feeling lethargic or foggy, eat a bit more.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, from veggies. So I'm getting carbs just not grains. A couple of years ago I tried the no carb / low carb thing and it was awful. Anyway... if you have huge overwhelming deadlines at work what are you doing hanging out on a forum? :wink:
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I eat carbs, from veggies. So I'm getting carbs just not grains. A couple of years ago I tried the no carb / low carb thing and it was awful. Anyway... if you have huge overwhelming deadlines at work what are you doing hanging out on a forum? :wink:

Trying to stay awake! Gives me a break now and then. Otherwise I would go crazy. Had to be up early to get my boys to the rink at 5
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.

The fitbit calorie adjustment is the most accurate of all the estimators to date, so what makes it so crazy? Just seems like justification to eat low calories to me.

Yup, I've found mine to be very accurate.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.

The fitbit calorie adjustment is the most accurate of all the estimators to date, so what makes it so crazy? Just seems like justification to eat low calories to me.

Is it really? I don't feel as though I could burn that many calories simply walking around the office and back and forth to the bathroom.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Is it really? I don't feel as though I could burn that many calories simply walking around the office and back and forth to the bathroom.

There are tons of people here (including myself) who are eating back their Fitbit adjustments and losing/maintaining weight just fine. You DO burn calories doing everyday tasks. I'm not sure what you find so crazy about that.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    This is just a quick question for anyone that is doing or has done low carbs. I am starting day 4 and this morning I woke up at 4:30am feeling great but now at 9:30 I am feeling really off. Like about to cry over nothing. I will admit I am at work and have huge deadlines that are very overwhelming so I'm not sure if that could be it. Has anyone else experienced that kinda low / emotional reaction on low carb?

LoL
  • Gigilauriemarie
    Options
    Low carbs for anyone menopausal or post menopause is the only way of eating that I have found to get any poundage off. Be sure to eat your low/no carb items frequently and hang in there.
  • superhockeymom
    Options

There are tons of people here (including myself) who are eating back their Fitbit adjustments and losing/maintaining weight just fine. You DO burn calories doing everyday tasks. I'm not sure what you find so crazy about that.

Just seems high to me not sure why I know I burn calories doing everyday activities good thing since most of the time u feel like I am sitting at my desk or driving someone somewhere. I tried for a while to eat back some when I was hungry my problem now is I am always hungry so thought I would try to low carb to reduce the need to eat and drink everything I see. Once I accomplish that i will be very happy and will try different things but if I really burn that much why the heck can't I lose weight. Been up and down same 10 pounds since summer started.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Low carbs for anyone menopausal or post menopause is the only way of eating that I have found to get any poundage off. Be sure to eat your low/no carb items frequently and hang in there.

I'm confused: are you talking about your own personal experience or are you saying this is the only way for ANYONE who is menopausal/post-menopausal to lose weight?
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You might just need more protein and/or small , healthy snacks throughout the day. I went gluten-free for almost 6 months and what helped me was snacking on nuts, baby carrots, hummus, sliced turkey, apple,....etc...in between meals. Now, I eat everything because it is hard to maintain (unless you have a medical issue and CAN"T eat gluten) . Low- carb is easier ....you just have to eat smarter. Try (1/2 cup) brown rice or quinoa with your lunch or dinner....or avocado for healthy fats. You will have more energy throughout the day! ALSO, make sure you still eat at least 1200 calories a day. Good luck! Oh and don't forget vegetables! :)
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    You might just need more protein and/or small , healthy snacks throughout the day. I went gluten-free for almost 6 months and what helped me was snacking on nuts, baby carrots, hummus, sliced turkey, apple,....etc...in between meals. Now, I eat everything because it is hard to maintain (unless you have a medical issue and CAN"T eat gluten) . Low- carb is easier ....you just have to eat smarter. Try (1/2 cup) brown rice or quinoa with your lunch or dinner....or avocado for healthy fats. You will have more energy throughout the day! ALSO, make sure you still eat at least 1200 calories a day. Good luck! Oh and don't forget vegetables! :)

I love vegitables but I totally forgot about nuts not sure why oh that's it I'm going to get some walnuts tonight
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This. To me, if you are getting really large FitBit exercise adjustments, that's a sign that 1) your calories are probably set too low in MFP to begin with or 2) your activity level is set too low or 3) a combination of both.

When I first got my FitBit I had very large exercise adjustments (600-700 cals) because I was set at Sedendary. FitBit was telling me, and MFP, that I'm not sedentary when I average 14K steps/day. I increased my activity level to lightly active, then active, and it increased my baseline calories, and now my adjustments are only 300 or so, which is more in line with the true amount of exercise I'm doing, not the every day activity.

To me this just seems like a reason to keep your calorie intake low... that you don't trust the tools...
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This. To me, if you are getting really large FitBit exercise adjustments, that's a sign that 1) your calories are probably set too low in MFP to begin with or 2) your activity level is set too low or 3) a combination of both.

When I first got my FitBit I had very large exercise adjustments (600-700 cals) because I was set at Sedendary. FitBit was telling me, and MFP, that I'm not sedentary when I average 14K steps/day. I increased my activity level to lightly active, then active, and it increased my baseline calories, and now my adjustments are only 300 or so, which is more in line with the true amount of exercise I'm doing, not the every day activity.

To me this just seems like a reason to keep your calorie intake low... that you don't trust the tools...

Ok I changed to lightly active and it made no difference in my calorie allowance. That is what happened before. I remember I figured at least earn more and maybe eat them if hungry or earn less and then if I am hungry?????