13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.

The fitbit calorie adjustment is the most accurate of all the estimators to date, so what makes it so crazy? Just seems like justification to eat low calories to me.

Yup, I've found mine to be very accurate.

Is it really? I don't feel as though I could burn that many calories simply walking around the office and back and forth to the bathroom.

There are tons of people here (including myself) who are eating back their Fitbit adjustments and losing/maintaining weight just fine. You DO burn calories doing everyday tasks. I'm not sure what you find so crazy about that.

This. To me, if you are getting really large FitBit exercise adjustments, that's a sign that 1) your calories are probably set too low in MFP to begin with or 2) your activity level is set too low or 3) a combination of both.

When I first got my FitBit I had very large exercise adjustments (600-700 cals) because I was set at Sedendary. FitBit was telling me, and MFP, that I'm not sedentary when I average 14K steps/day. I increased my activity level to lightly active, then active, and it increased my baseline calories, and now my adjustments are only 300 or so, which is more in line with the true amount of exercise I'm doing, not the every day activity.

To me this just seems like a reason to keep your calorie intake low... that you don't trust the tools...

Ok I changed to lightly active and it made no difference in my calorie allowance. That is what happened before. I remember I figured at least earn more and maybe eat them if hungry or earn less and then if I am hungry?????

Well I don't know what your stats are or how much you are trying to lose. If you set yourself up to lose 2 lbs/week, it is likely that it is always going to set you at 1200 cals.

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I have actually done low carb before and loved it. Not sure why I stopped probably got sick of cooking 2 seperate meals one for kids plus hubby and one for me. I have received some pm's with some very useful advise that I am going to try. As far as yesterday. I do not eat back what my Fitbit adds I think it is crazy if I do something seperate like run or use the elliptical I eat 1/2 those.

The fitbit calorie adjustment is the most accurate of all the estimators to date, so what makes it so crazy? Just seems like justification to eat low calories to me.

Is it really? I don't feel as though I could burn that many calories simply walking around the office and back and forth to the bathroom.

There are tons of people here (including myself) who are eating back their Fitbit adjustments and losing/maintaining weight just fine. You DO burn calories doing everyday tasks. I'm not sure what you find so crazy about that.

This. To me, if you are getting really large FitBit exercise adjustments, that's a sign that 1) your calories are probably set too low in MFP to begin with or 2) your activity level is set too low or 3) a combination of both.

When I first got my FitBit I had very large exercise adjustments (600-700 cals) because I was set at Sedendary. FitBit was telling me, and MFP, that I'm not sedentary when I average 14K steps/day. I increased my activity level to lightly active, then active, and it increased my baseline calories, and now my adjustments are only 300 or so, which is more in line with the true amount of exercise I'm doing, not the every day activity.

To me this just seems like a reason to keep your calorie intake low... that you don't trust the tools...

Ok I changed to lightly active and it made no difference in my calorie allowance. That is what happened before. I remember I figured at least earn more and maybe eat them if hungry or earn less and then if I am hungry?????

Well I don't know what your stats are or how much you are trying to lose. If you set yourself up to lose 2 lbs/week, it is likely that it is always going to set you at 1200 cals.

Yes 2 pounds a week perhaps that's it. But when I get it all set up it tells me I will only lose 1.6 anyway.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Low carbs for anyone menopausal or post menopause is the only way of eating that I have found to get any poundage off. Be sure to eat your low/no carb items frequently and hang in there.

59, 13 years post-surgical menopause, not eating low-carb, almost no exercise, 52 pounds lost so far.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Yes 2 pounds a week perhaps that's it. But when I get it all set up it tells me I will only lose 1.6 anyway.

That's your sign that 2 pounds per week is not achievable for you, which is true of most people. That rate of loss is really reserved for those with 100+ pounds to lose. It takes a 1000 calorie deficit every day to lose 2 pounds per week. Most of us simply can't create that large of a deficit on a daily basis. I'd suggest changing that to 1.5 or even 1 pound per week which is more realistic for your 44 pounds left to goal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How much fat? I have my goals set at
    20grams carbs 90 grams fat and 75grams protein. Last time I just went to 20 net carbs(Atkins) but didn't track fat or protein.

Looks fairly typical

• superhockeymom
    Options
    I know this will never be read, so many better threads above it. Thank you all for your advise, criticism and encouragement. You are why this site rules. I have had a very hard day, have done a lot of thinking and walking with the dog. Good night tomorrow is a new beginning.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I know this will never be read, so many better threads above it. Thank you all for your advise, criticism and encouragement. You are why this site rules. I have had a very hard day, have done a lot of thinking and walking with the dog. Good night tomorrow is a new beginning.

I read it. :smile: You are welcome and you're right; tomorrow is always a new beginning.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Thanks
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR (basic metabolic rate--what your body needs to just function, outside of activity) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure--what your burn daily, includes activity level and type). Keeping in mind the general idea is to lose .5 pounds/week for every 25 you have to lose. You want weightloss that is sustainable and provides your body enough nutrients to minimize muscle loss. These numbers can help you set the right amount manually in MFP. Scooby can help you calculate them:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I eat keto, whch is what your carb macro will put you into. My macros are about 20g C, 110g F, and approximately 85g P (5/70-75/20-25%). I eat 1500calories per day, give or take 500 calories.

My guess is that your body is going through the keto flu, or fat adaption, so your stores of glycogen are down and your body has not started relying on fat oxidation. No fuel = no energy.

Also, when you cut carbs you lose water weight, which will result in a loss of electrolytes. Low sodium (salt), magnesium and potassium can cause you to feel ill (keto flu). Headaches, fatigue, moodiness, constipation and nausea can result. Up your salt and you will probably feel better. Have a bowl of salty broth every day, salt all the food that could use it, and maybe even add some salt to water (I add a tsp of salt to water every day because I don't salt all my food). 3000-5000mg of salt per day will be needed for the next few weeks.

Hang in there! Once you up your electrolytes, and maybe your calories too, you'll feel better soon.

Second what @nvmomketo said. You definitely have the Keto flu. Increase your water & sodium. Also make sure you are getting enough magnesium & potassium. Bone broth is really good where this is concerned. The keto flu is why the first 2 weeks of keto are the most difficult.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My first two weeks of eating <50 grams of carbs daily was hellish then the cravings just faded away. Had I not been facing the risk of cancer and other health issues had I started Enbrel injections to manage my arthritis pain I am not sure I would have made the jump to living in nutritional ketosis. Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years which I expect made it harder for me.

@superhockeymom I think you will love it if you make it over, under, around or through the initial barrier.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Still on track feeling better thank you all for your encouragement. Made it through 5 days!!!!!
  • Chrisbande
    Chrisbande Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    With low carb u need to up your protein level a lot I have been doing the high protein low carb now for about six weeks now and its working excellent so far.. Keep in mind you may need to eat more smaller meals a day to keep your energy up. Feel free to view my diary. I start my first 2 meals a day with carbs (starches) and taper off for the next 3 meals. I also take fish oil during the day. I cant stress enough, protein level. You need to at least have half your weight I'm Grams of protein.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Chrisbande wrote: »
    You need to at least have half your weight I'm Grams of protein.

that makes no sense - have another go.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Low carbs for anyone menopausal or post menopause is the only way of eating that I have found to get any poundage off. Be sure to eat your low/no carb items frequently and hang in there.

59, 13 years post-surgical menopause, not eating low-carb, almost no exercise, 52 pounds lost so far.

This^

I'm sure there are women that have huge hormonal changes and maybe they need to adapt their diets. BUT, this is not true for me either. Not doing low carb.....modest exercise.
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Low-energy as a result of going low-carb is part of the transition and yes it can be a bummer. You try to do your regular workout and feel as though your energy level keeps dropping ..... but it will plateau. After that it starts going back up. In the meantime, it is very tempting to give in to a quick-fix of high-carb food. Don't do it.

What's happening is you are conditioning your body to transition from carbs as your main energy source to fat. The good news is that as a carbohydrate centered energy system you have roughly 2,000 calories of reserve energy but as a fat centered energy metabolism, you have roughly 20,000 calories of energy reserve.

Work through it and you will see the reward.

This is really well said and explains it so well.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Low energy from a diet showing extremely low net calories over the past week (based on the OP's diary) is indicative that it is the lack of fuel leading to the low energy.