Fruit diet

Options
Hello I'm currently 13 stone I'm 5ft 5 want too lose around 3 stone I'm going too try the just eat fruit diet for one week has anyone ever done this and wat was your results ?

Replies

• mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you just eat fruit? for a week? I see lots of carbs and no protein for that week... to me that sounds silly... but i do Low carb/Med protein/higher fat... so to me that would not work... but i suppose go for it?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do a fad diet to lose weight, you just need to be in a calorie deficit. Have you run your numbers on MFP and figured out how many calories you should eat per day? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No fad diets! Make sure you get all of your nutrients. You just need to track everything and make sure you are burning more than you are eating.
  • SyahidahKamal83
    Options
    Yes.. I agree with mousie1973.. U should eat some protein.. To keep urself from starving@ craving.. N also to keep ur metabolism on going..
  • candygibbons26
    candygibbons26 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yeah I dun that I'm
    New too all this never dieted or anything in my life use too weigh 8 stone had two kids and now ballooned lol I'm Spose too be eating 1.200 calories a day but I thought I will do the fruit diet just too kick start the whole process
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. Fruit is not going to provide all the nutrient you need (fat? protein? B12? iron?) It's also entirely possible to eat more calories that you use, even on fruit.

Why not use this system as intended? With less than 50 pounds to lose, you can aim for 1 pound a week. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, protein, etc. at the calorie level suggested. Do some extra moving. You'll reach your goal better than way than trying some extreme elimination diet.

And, FTR, I haven't tried a fruit only diet, but I do know that when I eat a lot of fruit, I tend to have tummy/digestive upset for a few days. I can't imagine the time spent in the bathroom on fruit only!
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    I've spoken too
    A couple of people and they have do t the fruit diet and have lost between 7 and 10 pounds in a week just wanted too kick start my weight loss
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I could see you gaining weight on this diet. So many calories and nothing but fibre to make you feel full. You'll probably over eat.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do a fad diet to lose weight, you just need to be in a calorie deficit. Have you run your numbers on MFP and figured out how many calories you should eat per day? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

I don't know if we are looking for an "easy" way to lose weight but it does seem that we over think the process. To lose weight you must take in fewer calories than you expend. That's it. Simple. You can eat too much in fruit just as you can eat a deficit in pizza. Calories in vs calories out. In MUST be less than out. It really is that simple. Eat whatever you want so long as caloires in<calories out.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Yeah I dun that I'm
    New too all this never dieted or anything in my life use too weigh 8 stone had two kids and now ballooned lol I'm Spose too be eating 1.200 calories a day but I thought I will do the fruit diet just too kick start the whole process

Honestly, you'd be better off to buy a food scale, and just weigh and log accurately. Choose low calorie foods that will fill you up (More low calorie veggies and fruits such as berries, lots of protein, less high calorie foods such as peanut butter and oils, since 1200 calories won't go far.)

How aggressive are your weight loss goals? I'd rather lose a bit slower but get a few more calories, makes it more sustainable.
  • smileneworleans
    Options
    Hi Fruit Diet. Recently I have been reading a lot about Jackie O. I had visited Dallas the Texas Book Depository Museum and it got me reading about her life. She looked great! I read that she weighed herself everyday and always stayed at 120. She was 5'7". I honestly couldn't have this goal but one of the things she did was: if she went above 120 she would only eat fruit the next day to get back to her goal. just a little FYI.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Hi Fruit Diet. Recently I have been reading a lot about Jackie O. I had visited Dallas the Texas Book Depository Museum and it got me reading about her life. She looked great! I read that she weighed herself everyday and always stayed at 120. She was 5'7". I honestly couldn't have this goal but one of the things she did was: if she went above 120 she would only eat fruit the next day to get back to her goal. just a little FYI.

Even if this is true, since she weighed every day, she never would have had more than a pound or two to cut. Just because someone else did it, doesn't mean anyone else should. I'm sure all of us have heard our mothers say "Well, if your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    Thankyou everyone guess it's a bad idea then
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    What is the best foods too eat I'm
    In need of help
    I don't know wat is the best way too lose weight guess I'm just looking for a quick fix which is not a good idea!!!!
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    And erm if I loved my friend very dearly then maybe I would jump
  • candygibbons26
    Options
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Thankyou everyone guess it's a bad idea then

Candy, you can do this though! I'm 44, hypothyroid, with a bum knee, and I managed to lose 38 pounds over about 7 months by maintaining a consistent deficit and working out. Read my post I linked above, and start. That's the best thing you can do, is start, and then not give up. My motto this time was 'If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up', and that's just what I did. And now that I'm in maintenance, that has to stay my motto, because I am going to have to continue to be vigilant, but it's worth it!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    What is the best foods too eat I'm
    In need of help
    I don't know wat is the best way too lose weight guess I'm just looking for a quick fix which is not a good idea!!!!

Best foods? That totally depends on what you like, but in general, some foods that I like are:
    Chicken (high protein and low in calories, helps fill me up)
    shrimp (ditto)
    greek yogurt
    berries (much lower in calories than fruits like bananas and apples!!)
    peas, beans, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts

Things I cut back on when I am on limited calories: (meaning smaller portions, not eliminate!)
    rice
    potatoes
    pasta
    oils
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    fruit diet yes it can be done, i know someone has done it for few months and as a result he did go slim and he was fine after his wife pushed him to take blood tests etc, end of the day one should consider their own health and check with doctor etc if its ok with you and your doctor i cant see any problem with that
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    Once I put my mind too
    Summing I
    Do
    It !! I have this small
    Dress hanging up
    That I use too love I imagine myself fitting in it again I have two children so I'm
    Always running around also
    Go on my exercise bike everyday for half hour at a time about 4 x a day maybe I should do it try see wat works best for me Thankyou blankiefinder