158 calorie blueberry muffins (store bought: 450+ cals)

Options
FarAway02
FarAway02 Posts: 211
2lw598g.jpg

Ingredients:

- 140g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 70g butter
- 70g blueberries
- 50g fruit sugar
- 20ml milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder

Method:

Melt the butter and allow it to cool on the side.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and stir well. In a SEPARATE bowl beat the eggs, then add the milk and butter and beat some more.

Bit by bit add the liquid mixture into the flour/baking powder/sugar mix, stirring as you go.

GENTLY stir in the blueberries - don't break them!

Fill muffin cases 2/3 full and bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F / gas mark 4. They really do take 30 minutes to cook so don't open the door to check them until close to the 30 minute mark - nobody wants a sunken muffin!!

Variations (gluten free etc)

You can replace the butter with vegan spread (Pure, etc) or margarine if you wish. The cows milk can be replaced with almond or soya milk (tried and tested, tastes fine).

For GLUTEN FREE you can replace the flour with a gluten free flour of your choice. If the flour you're replacing with is NOT self raising I would add 3 teaspoons of baking powder to make them rise.

I often add a couple of chunks of chocolate to each muffin... blueberries & chocolate isn't a well known combination...but trust me when I say it SHOULD be!

Note 1: I have yet to achieve the insanely perfect muffin as pictured above... but they do come out quite pretty.
Note 2: These aren't as sickly sweet as store bought muffins. But as a guilt free treat they're FANTASTIC. I love them.
Note 3: Add as many blueberries as you like! I just use however many I've got that I need to use up before they go bad. The more the merrier!

Replies

• Freefatty
    Freefatty Posts: 9
    Options
    Looks great! I saw your post on the 600 calorie muffin thread and wondered if I could find a recipe. (I didn't even think to ask you) Thanks for sharing!
  • FarAway02
    Options
    Looks great! I saw your post on the 600 calorie muffin thread and wondered if I could find a recipe. (I didn't even think to ask you) Thanks for sharing!

You're more than welcome!! I had a few messages from people who saw that post asking me to share the recipe so I figured I'd better get posting!! I've always been an avid baker and so now my aim is to fill my personal recipe notebook with some LOW CAL tasty treats.

These are the same cals as the oykos yoghurt I treat myself with.... I'm happy to trade in yoghurt for a muffin sometimes (who wouldn't be??)
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying these for breakfast! Thanks for posting :)
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    looks great girl! i'll have to try them :) how many muffins does the recipe make?
  • FarAway02
    Options
    It normally makes around 10 (8 - 11 depending on how generous you are with how much you put put in to your cases/how many blueberries you're using)

:)
  • elainealfons
    Options
    can you put that recipe in units like cups and tablespoons etc--i would love to try it but i do not get the gram thing
  • FarAway02
    Options
    can you put that recipe in units like cups and tablespoons etc--i would love to try it but i do not get the gram thing

I'm not going to spend my time making the conversions when you can google it just as easily as I can :) google is your friend!
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Get a food scale and measure your food in grams using that.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilpocketrocket
    lilpocketrocket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds ymmo...will try this for sure.

Thanks for sharing :)
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yummmm saving for later :) this may become our road trip snack !!
  • tmccarter11
    Options
    bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yum! Only problem would be I couldn't stop at one if they are homemade. :smile:
  • FarAway02
    Options
    Yum! Only problem would be I couldn't stop at one if they are homemade. :smile:

Actually I find it quite easy to stop at one.... they're not as sickly sweet as a 'normal' muffin or cupcake so they don't really have a more-ish edge to them :)
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, they sound great! :-)
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, this looks like just what I've been looking for! Thanks for sharing, the recipe went straight into my Food Planner app :)