158 calorie blueberry muffins (store bought: 450+ cals)

Options

Replies

• jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question but what is fruit sugar? I have granular sugar, brown sugar, confectioners sugar, extra fine granular sugar (for frostings) but I've never had any recipes call for fruit sugar : )

Nevermind... I googled it ; ) My extra fine sugar for frosting will work!!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Going to try with a sugar sub .....yum!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How I wish they were Eggless.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options

Have a google to see what you could replace the eggs with.... I've definitely made vegan cupcakes before but I can't remember what I used instead of the eggs!
  • FarAway02
    Options
    This may be a stupid question but what is fruit sugar? I have granular sugar, brown sugar, confectioners sugar, extra fine granular sugar (for frostings) but I've never had any recipes call for fruit sugar : )

Nevermind... I googled it ; ) My extra fine sugar for frosting will work!!

Normal sugar will work fine... I've always used a low GI sugar that I had lying around. Just be aware that you may need to adjust the calories accordingly as your chosen type of sugar may contain a higher calorie count.
  • FarAway02
    Options
    This is the fruit sugar I use...

bh470079__78416_zoom.jpg
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    thankyou.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    :love: bump :love:
  • TendaiMa
    TendaiMa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There is no way this recipe will make muffins the size of that picture. They will be smallish cupcakes at best. That picture you've listed is for a muffin that's the size of a fist in real life. If yours were that big they'd be at least 300 cals. It's impossible to get it lower because flour is a stupid amount of calories.

Would also suggest substituting part of the flour for wholemeal and replacing the butter with coconut or almond oil. Sugar can also be subbed with natural maple syrup or honey. Doesn't really impact the cals but better nutritionally. Can also apparently up the protein by replacing some/all the flour with ground almonds. I've not actually tried that though so don't know if it works.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Have a google to see what you could replace the eggs with.... I've definitely made vegan cupcakes before but I can't remember what I used instead of the eggs!

Oil.
  • kaidee33
    kaidee33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump, saving this for later!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    stupid question ..... whats fruit sugar (like powder or tabs ect) and where do you buy it im in the UK ??

sorry !!! just read above lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Looks great! I saw your post on the 600 calorie muffin thread and wondered if I could find a recipe. (I didn't even think to ask you) Thanks for sharing!
  • viclaw81
    viclaw81 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump!
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :heart: