When exercising how does the body distinguish which calorie to burn off?

Replies

• TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    edited September 2015
    And what else would have to go along with those 50g of trans-fats? What am I realistically going to eat to get 50g of trans-fats in a day?

Doesn't matter. Supposedly a calorie is a calorie is a calorie to the human body. You can buy trans fat all by itself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Doesn't matter. Supposedly a calorie is a calorie is a calorie to the human body. You can buy trans fat all by itself.
    For the purposes of energy, a calorie is a calorie. But I suspect you knew that. Plus, it has the benefit of being relevant to the OP's actual question.

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    To be more sciencey (but very general and not particularly precise), your muscles will burn the energy store within them (glycogen) first, then use blood sugar (glucose) when that is consumed, (blood sugar is harvested from or built out of the stuff you eat) and finally will go to your stored body fat when all the food energy is used up.

There's no preference given to 'good' or 'bad' foods by your body, because it's all just food.

You are absolutely correct in how the muscles use their sources of energy during exercise, but fat is more energetic than carbs or protein. (Also, skeletal muscle primarily uses fats at rest, not exercise.) Protein and carbohydrates both contain 4 calories/gram, and fat has 9 calories/gram. This is where the earlier poster made the error.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    And what else would have to go along with those 50g of trans-fats? What am I realistically going to eat to get 50g of trans-fats in a day?

And a calorie is a calorie. A kilocalorie is a kilocalorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius.
    Nutrition from foods != calories
    Cut out the crap or if you're gonna post hyperbolic crap at least do it properly and ask them to drink kerosene (which also contains calories, since calorie is a measurement for energy and not limited to food).
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    edited September 2015
    For the purposes of energy, a calorie is a calorie. But I suspect you knew that. Plus, it has the benefit of being relevant to the OP's actual question.

The OP wants to know the difference between "good" calories and "bad" calories and people are saying "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie". This is simply not true. If it were true, our bodies would feel exactly the same whether we were eating 50g of fat from an avocado or 50g of trans fat. And we don't even need to do a test to prove that isn't true.

From a very simple energy standpoint, you are correct. However, that simplistic mindset does no one any good when it comes to the human body since it is an extremely complex organism.
  • DeguelloTex

The OP wants to know the difference between "good" calories and "bad" calories and people are saying "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie". This is simply not true. If it were true, our bodies would feel exactly the same whether we were eating 50g of fat from an avocado or 50g of trans fat. And we don't even need to do a test to prove that isn't true.
    She asked, "...How does the body distinguish which calorie to burn off?"

How does bringing up trans-fats answer that? How does it even relate to that?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    I would love for someone to eat all of their fat from trans fat (the processed stuff) and let me know how they feel within a few days.

To be fair, OP asked about metabolic pathways for different nutrients. "How does the body distinguish..." She didn't ask about how different nutrients make you feel.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    It doesn't. all calories are equal. It's a measurement of energy.
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    *shakes head*

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Fragmoss wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm about 80% carbs 10% protein and 10% fat, also a vegan. I don't get my carbs from breads or pastas. Mainly root veggies & greens.

How do you feel on these macros? While an omnivore myself, I whole heartedly support veganism and have known vegans who did great on much higher carbs and lower protein than I would, but that seems pretty low fat and protein.

Based on your macros, I recommend you spend your extra calories on nuts to bump your fat and protein, rather than sugars, which will of course bump your carbs up at the expense of protein.

• DeguelloTex
    "How does my hybrid determine when to use gas and when to use battery?"

"Solar power is better than fossil fuels."

"That's not what she asked."

*shakes head*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    I would love for someone to eat all of their fat from trans fat (the processed stuff) and let me know how they feel within a few days.

In a few days? Doubt they'd notice anything unless, in order to do that, they drastically changed everything they ate. But then it wouldn't be due to the trans-fats.

Trans-fats are a longer-term risk factor.

Doubt it hardly scientific. Eat 50g of trans fat in one day. Do it. I dare you.

Five servings of Popeye's hash browns: https://www.yahoo.com/food/13-foods-highest-in-trans-fats-121672025241.html
  • DeguelloTex
    kshama2001 wrote: »

In a few days? Doubt they'd notice anything unless, in order to do that, they drastically changed everything they ate. But then it wouldn't be due to the trans-fats.

Five servings of Popeye's hash browns: https://www.yahoo.com/food/13-foods-highest-in-trans-fats-121672025241.html
    Popeye's web site says 1g of trans-fats. Even apart from that, that's 1800 calories of hash browns. Seems pretty atypical.

• A calorie is a calorie and an inch is an inch, they're both units of measurement. You can easily make the claim that an inch of puppies is better than an inch of excrement, but they're both inches. The quality is not the discussion at hand.
  • stevencloser

*shakes head*

"A kilometer is a kilometer. 1000 meters."
    "Oh yeah? Run a marathon then drive one with your car, what is healthier for you, huh? checkmate, Cicopaths."
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Pretty sure I already have. Wasn't that long ago that trans-fats weren't widely known to be a concern. My guess, one meal at Claudia Sanders in the 80's and 90's (fried chicken, biscuits, dressing, cobbler, etc) would have done it. I ate there numerous times. Sometimes twice in one day.

For the record, I wasn't overweight. I didn't feel any ill effects from eating there. Not even simple digestive issues.

I can tell you what does make me feel bad. Drastically and suddenly changing my dietary habits. Such as going from eating a couple of servings of cooked vegetables per day to eating double that in raw vegetables a day. Major intestinal havoc, I'm telling you. Thanks, fiber.

Doesn't mean that eating the raw vegetables is bad for me, I just need to adjust. Just like eating trans-fats and feeling fine doesn't mean it's good for you.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Brilliant question! From what I've read, if you're in a calorie surplus then fat is worse than carbs - with carbs at least your bodies will 'waste' a few calories digesting them and converting them to fat (thermogenesis I think it's called) - whereas your body will store excess dietary fat with minimum fuss if it's not needed for energy.

If you're calorie neutral or in a calorie deficit it doesn't matter much (see twinkie diet mentioned above).

Whether you do low-carb or low-fat dieting is about what you find suits you better - I personally find it easier to quit cheese and bacon than marsh mallows and bread, so cutting the calories mainly from fat is easier.

• AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member

*shakes head*

"A kilometer is a kilometer. 1000 meters."
    "Oh yeah? Run a marathon then drive one with your car, what is healthier for you, huh? checkmate, Cicopaths."

Cicopaths! Love it. Seen a few of those here!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
  • stevencloser
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Brilliant question! From what I've read, if you're in a calorie surplus then fat is worse than carbs - with carbs at least your bodies will 'waste' a few calories digesting them and converting them to fat (thermogenesis I think it's called) - whereas your body will store excess dietary fat with minimum fuss if it's not needed for energy.

If you're calorie neutral or in a calorie deficit it doesn't matter much (see twinkie diet mentioned above).

Whether you do low-carb or low-fat dieting is about what you find suits you better - I personally find it easier to quit cheese and bacon than marsh mallows and bread, so cutting the calories mainly from fat is easier.

Fat does not make you fat (unless it's consumed on a caloric surplus). That is a notion leftover from the 90's and has been pretty much debunked across the board.

Seriously, it's the only thing clean eaters, low-carbers, and CICOphants generally agree on - and that's really saying something.

Correct. What he meant though is that if you're in a surplus, fat can just be stored as fat, while carbs aren't fat so they have to go through some processes to be turned to fat. And because carbs are the first thing your body takes as energy source, that rarely ever happens.