Easier to lose in the 80s?

Options
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/09/why-it-was-easier-to-be-skinny-in-the-1980s/407974/

"A study published recently in the journal Obesity Research & Clinical Practice found that it’s harder for adults today to maintain the same weight as those 20 to 30 years ago did, even at the same levels of food intake and exercise.

The authors examined the dietary data of 36,400 Americans between 1971 and 2008 and the physical activity data of 14,419 people between 1988 and 2006. They grouped the data sets together by the amount of food and activity, age, and BMI.

They found a very surprising correlation: A given person, in 2006, eating the same amount of calories, taking in the same quantities of macronutrients like protein and fat, and exercising the same amount as a person of the same age did in 1988 would have a BMI that was about 2.3 points higher. In other words, people today are about 10 percent heavier than people were in the 1980s, even if they follow the exact same diet and exercise plans."

"“Our study results suggest that if you are 25, you’d have to eat even less and exercise more than those older, to prevent gaining weight,” Jennifer Kuk, a professor of kinesiology and health science at Toronto’s York University, said in a statement. “However, it also indicates there may be other specific changes contributing to the rise in obesity beyond just diet and exercise.”

Just what those other changes might be, though, are still a matter of hypothesis. In an interview, Kuk proffered three different factors that might be making harder for adults today to stay thin.

First, people are exposed to more chemicals that might be weight-gain inducing. Pesticides, flame retardants, and the substances in food packaging might all be altering our hormonal processes and tweaking the way our bodies put on and maintain weight.

Second, the use of prescription drugs has risen dramatically since the ‘70s and ‘80s. Prozac, the first blockbuster SSRI, came out in 1988. Antidepressants are now one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S., and many of them have been linked to weight gain.

Finally, Kuk and the other study authors think that the microbiomes of Americans might have somehow changed between the 1980s and now. It’s well known that some types of gut bacteria make a person more prone to weight gain and obesity. Americans are eating more meat than they were a few decades ago, and many animal products are treated with hormones and antibiotics in order to promote growth. All that meat might be changing gut bacteria in ways that are subtle, at first, but add up over time. Kuk believes the proliferation of artificial sweeteners could also be playing a role."

Study: http://www.obesityresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S1871-403X(15)00121-0/abstract

Replies

• newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    But it's all calories in calories out. IF people are struggling they just need to weight their food and be more accurate loggers. Sarcasm of course. Obvious point being that people were no more likely to accurately log and use a digital scale in the 80s either
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I dont believe some of this study. I also think because a child is active or has high energy should be placed on meds. There seems to be labels for every thing now. I think more people eat out now for convience. As far as Monsanto creating GMO foods for supply and demand adding chemicals to food is easily fixed with buying organic as much as possible. Corn related sugars are used now more then ever and is hidden in many packaged foods.

Social media with computers and cell phones consumes more time lounging around as in the 80s this was not common then as access was not available

It still comes down to overeating and metabolism changes as we age as well as CICO.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    But it's all calories in calories out. IF people are struggling they just need to weight their food and be more accurate loggers. Sarcasm of course. Obvious point being that people were no more likely to accurately log and use a digital scale in the 80s either

So if we can assume that people were just as likely to err in portion / calorie estimation or logging (although this could have changed, seems unlikely), that's constant, and other things come into play, no?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    $2800 gym membership?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    The findings were:

Between 1971 and 2008, BMI, total caloric intake and carbohydrate intake increased 10–14%, and fat and protein intake decreased 5–9%. Between 1988 and 2006, frequency of leisure time physical activity increased 47–120%. However, for a given amount of caloric intake, macronutrient intake or leisure time physical activity, the predicted BMI was up to 2.3 kg/m2 higher in 2006 that in 1988 in the mutually adjusted model (P < 0.05).
  • tomatoey
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    $2800 gym membership?

Nutty, hey?
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    high fructose corn syrup
    i even blame it when i get a flat tire

lol

I think their speculation is that food packaging might come into it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

So if we can assume that people were just as likely to err in portion / calorie estimation or logging (although this could have changed, seems unlikely), that's constant, and other things come into play, no?

I would actually say no.

Think about how portion sizes have changed since the 80's, and how much more skewed our view of what a 'normal' amount to eat is. I would lay odds that the estimation error of calorie intake was higher in 2006.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I would actually say no.

Think about how portion sizes have changed since the 80's, and how much more skewed our view of what a 'normal' amount to eat is. I would lay odds that the estimation error of calorie intake was higher in 2006.

That's very possible, come to think of it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Did it take in to account daily activity? I can't be bothered to read the link but I don't believe that the human body has evolved much in just 30 years.
    I do believe it is harder now but only down to the fact that we do less as technology has progressed and we give in to temptation more now that food is every where in our faces and ready to just munch on.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    $2800 gym membership?

Nutty, hey?

What is nutty is that they suggest it is what people pay today. Um, no!
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Did it take in to account daily activity? I can't be bothered to read the link but I don't believe that the human body has evolved much in just 30 years.
    I do believe it is harder now but only down to the fact that we do less as technology has progressed and we give in to temptation more now that food is every where in our faces and ready to just munch on.

I only have access to the abstract (below). They looked at "leisure time physical activity". I would guess that would mean deliberate recreational / fitness activity, not NEAT.

They're not suggesting we've actually physically evolved, though, I don't think!

Summary
    Background

To determine whether the relationship between caloric intake, macronutrient intake, and physical activity with obesity has changed over time.
    Methods

Dietary data from 36,377 U.S. adults from the National Health and Nutrition Survey (NHANES) between 1971 and 2008 was used. Physical activity frequency data was only available in 14,419 adults between 1988 and 2006. Generalised linear models were used to examine if the association between total caloric intake, percent dietary macronutrient intake and physical activity with body mass index (BMI) was different over time.
    Results

Between 1971 and 2008, BMI, total caloric intake and carbohydrate intake increased 10–14%, and fat and protein intake decreased 5–9%. Between 1988 and 2006, frequency of leisure time physical activity increased 47–120%. However, for a given amount of caloric intake, macronutrient intake or leisure time physical activity, the predicted BMI was up to 2.3 kg/m2 higher in 2006 that in 1988 in the mutually adjusted model (P < 0.05).
    Conclusions

Factors other than diet and physical activity may be contributing to the increase in BMI over time. Further research is necessary to identify these factors and to determine the mechanisms through which they affect body weight.
  • sunandmoons
    edited September 2015
    Options
    high fructose corn syrup
    i even blame it when i get a flat tire

Well its true. Corn starch is used in the molds before pouring in rubber in the manufacturing of tires. Also in manufacturing corn products are used in creating synthetic rubber.

My father in law used to own a tire shop.
  • sunandmoons
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Double post in error.

• cmtigger
    Options
    $2800 gym membership?

Nutty, hey?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I would actually say no.

I'd guess this is most likely the cause.

Personally, I weigh less now than I did when I was dieting in the 80's and I'm eating more to lose weight. I'm accurately counting calories this time instead of doing a program. I think this is why I have the inkling you might be right.

• sunandmoons
    Options
    $2800 gym membership?

Nutty, hey?

No way. There are way to many fitness centers that are no where near this amount. Vasa fitness is 30 dollars a month....Blue moon fitness is 10 bucks a month. Some studies are created by people that do not have scientific background to back up information given.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The numbers here are all taken from self reported data. How reliable can that possibly be? I'd say they can be confident that their findings show present day activity estimates are more inflated than the self reported estimates from the 80's. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The interesting and factual part is that for self-reported dietary intake, we're 10% heavier today. Before I read your synopsis, I assumed it was because there were younger people back then. But the researchers age-adjusted their results.

As for blaming chemicals or gut bacteria, that's all speculation the author's part. He hasn't studied that yet (to rule them out).