Easier to lose in the 80s?

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Bigger portions and less activity. I may have missed it but did it mention the activity level outside of exercise? Not only were there few computers to sit in front of at home, our jobs were more active as so much was done manually. Fewer tv channels too. I think for almost the whole of the 80s we had no more than 4 or 5 channels. We were outside a lot as were the neighbors.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    But it's all calories in calories out. IF people are struggling they just need to weight their food and be more accurate loggers. Sarcasm of course. Obvious point being that people were no more likely to accurately log and use a digital scale in the 80s either

So if we can assume that people were just as likely to err in portion / calorie estimation or logging (although this could have changed, seems unlikely), that's constant, and other things come into play, no?

Yes. That was my point. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    People were much more active in the 70s than they are now. Children, especially, were much more active, but everyone was. Even the lazy were more active because they had to be.

They took fewer drugs and ate different food.

It's very difficult to compare.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Bigger portions and less activity. I may have missed it but did it mention the activity level outside of exercise? Not only were there few computers to sit in front of at home, our jobs were more active as so much was done manually. Fewer tv channels too. I think for almost the whole of the 80s we had no more than 4 or 5 channels. We were outside a lot as were the neighbors.
    It depended on where you lived. We got cable in 1982. Not cable like we have today, with 800 channels, but your basic MTV and HBO and whatever else got added at first.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    It depended on where you lived. We got cable in 1982. Not cable like we have today, with 800 channels, but your basic MTV and HBO and whatever else got added at first.

Yeah, I know it came early. Still though, as you said, nothing like the past 15 years or so.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    There are rodent studies showing air pollution, among other things, may lead to insulin resistance adiposity and inflammation as well.

Conclusion—Early-life exposure to high levels of PM2.5 is a risk factor for subsequent development of insulin resistance, adiposity, and inflammation. Reactive oxygen species generation by NADPH oxidase appears to mediate this risk.

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/30/12/2518.short

Agree with others, though, it would be so easy to not get accurate information to base the study on feeding behavior. Also, hasn't Type 2 Diabetes risen sharply? Harder to lose weight on that, from my understanding. What about metabolic/thyroid disorders like Hashimoto's, aren't these on the rise? Not that pollutants might not be at least partly responsible for this as well.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I was in school in the 70s and 80s, there was only one fat child in my year. Now, every where I go I see over weight children. It's very sad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have fewer pollutants today than in the eighties, in a few key areas. The air is cleaner. And we've eliminated lead in fuel and paints.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615
  • fatbottomgirl930
    Options
    Maybe it's the 10-14% increase in carbs.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Have you all seen charts juxtaposing HFCS production and US obesity rates by year? That data seems pretty compelling to me. Maybe food packaging and pesticides disrupt endocrine processes, but Ockham's razor suggests we've been supersized, and we undercount calories by a supersized amount. That's really the simplest explanation.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    $2800 gym membership?

Nutty, hey?

What is nutty is that they suggest it is what people pay today. Um, no!

That's how much it costs for an older person to join the gym around here. (They're priced by age, and you have to pay a $350 fee for joining on top of that if you're over 40.) It also happens to be one of the top ten athletic clubs in the country.

People obviously need to go to a fancy gym just to lose weight. :D

I would find a new fitness center. Ive never heard if this rediculousness.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    ...but Ockham's razor suggests we've been supersized, and we undercount calories by a supersized amount. That's really the simplest explanation.

I'm with you. How about a study that compares a subjects's perceived portion sizes to the actual weight? Here's a device that I dearly hope does NOT take off.

WearSens_mid.jpg

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/necklace-and-smartphone-app-developed-at-ucla-can-help-people-track-food-intake
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    wow. It looks like it cleverly estimates the weight of solids & liquids consumed, but nothing about their caloric composition. I agree with your point, also, that many environmental contaminants are better now than in the 80's.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Right off I'm wondering, how could it ever tell the difference between a diet and a full sugar coke?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    high fructose corn syrup
    i even blame it when i get a flat tire

SNORT!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    But it's all calories in calories out. IF people are struggling they just need to weight their food and be more accurate loggers. Sarcasm of course. Obvious point being that people were no more likely to accurately log and use a digital scale in the 80s either

So if we can assume that people were just as likely to err in portion / calorie estimation or logging (although this could have changed, seems unlikely), that's constant, and other things come into play, no?
    Why do we assume, in a culture that has actually adopted calorie and protein in their daily vocabulary, that there is an equal tendency to log exercise, physical activity, and food just as correctly. Particularly in a culture that is growing in its willingness to shame those things as the connection between them and obesity (which has been shamed the whole time, but not as strongly linked to the prior things in the past)?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    There are rodent studies showing air pollution, among other things, may lead to insulin resistance adiposity and inflammation as well.

Conclusion—Early-life exposure to high levels of PM2.5 is a risk factor for subsequent development of insulin resistance, adiposity, and inflammation. Reactive oxygen species generation by NADPH oxidase appears to mediate this risk.

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/30/12/2518.short

Agree with others, though, it would be so easy to not get accurate information to base the study on feeding behavior. Also, hasn't Type 2 Diabetes risen sharply? Harder to lose weight on that, from my understanding. What about metabolic/thyroid disorders like Hashimoto's, aren't these on the rise? Not that pollutants might not be at least partly responsible for this as well.
    I would say if insulin resistance does anything, it would be to increase calorie burn, not decrease it. So if calories and activity are the same, insulin resistant are going to weigh less, though I don't think it has statistically strong enough effect either way. At least since this study assumes the difference exists independent of activity and calorie intake.
  • senecarr
    Options
    I dont believe some of this study. I also think because a child is active or has high energy should be placed on meds. There seems to be labels for every thing now. I think more people eat out now for convience. As far as Monsanto creating GMO foods for supply and demand adding chemicals to food is easily fixed with buying organic as much as possible. Corn related sugars are used now more then ever and is hidden in many packaged foods.

Social media with computers and cell phones consumes more time lounging around as in the 80s this was not common then as access was not available

It still comes down to overeating and metabolism changes as we age as well as CICO.
    GMOs are actually usually used to reduce chemicals used in growing food. Particularly reducing overall effective dose.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Why do we assume, in a culture that has actually adopted calorie and protein in their daily vocabulary, that there is an equal tendency to log exercise, physical activity, and food just as correctly. Particularly in a culture that is growing in its willingness to shame those things as the connection between them and obesity (which has been shamed the whole time, but not as strongly linked to the prior things in the past)?

I was thinking about what are thought to be universal cognitive biases. It seems unlikely that our basic memory or tendency to underestimate portions has changed dramatically. Someone above pointed out that portion sizing might make throw another wrench in there, though, that seems plausible.

It's possible that emotional responses to norms might affect reporting - though tbh, without digging much further, I'd guess shaming of bodies and food choices was just as common back then (just with different targets). What reason do you have for believing that's changed?

Re body shame, if anything, overweight and obesity are considered to be more socially acceptable now than before.