This is an unusual request

Today I'm going to be helping unload pumpkins from a truck for a pumpkin patch. It takes a couple hours of lifting, bending, carrying pumpkins. How do you think i should log that?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I think there are entries in the exercise database for moving if you're looking for something that should match.
    Not sure how accurate the calorie burn listed for it is even when it is applied to actual typical house moving stuff.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I wouldn't log it...for me to log "exercise" it has to be purposeful exercise not a random chore I am doing.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Lol....

"I just cleaned the house, how many calories did I burn?"

"just walked to the fridge, how many calories did I burn?"

This is called living, you don't need to account for all physical activities, jeez.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Lol....

This is called living, you don't need to account for all physical activities, jeez.

I agree with you 100%, but don't understand why you are so nasty about making a simple statement of opinion.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    missheidi wrote: »
    Today I'm going to be helping unload pumpkins from a truck for a pumpkin patch. It takes a couple hours of lifting, bending, carrying pumpkins. How do you think i should log that?

I would log it, that is a crazy amount of work. I'd log half the amount of time that you actually do as moving boxes.

And ask for some free pumpkins :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member

Miss heidi, I would only log any calories for it if I was trying to maintain an aggressive rate of weight loss. For example, if I only had 1200 calories allowed, then I would log some of the calories, because you might be hungrier after your efforts. I would use the entry senecarr mentioned, but I would be careful how many calories I logged for it.
  • williamwj2014
    I didn't think it was rude, maybe you guys took it that way but it's so common that people want to account for all activities that they go as far as getting a step tracker. It's easier to just live and go about your day than to worry about things like that. I thought the question was quite funny which is why I replied that way.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    I think there are entries in the exercise database for moving if you're looking for something that should match.
    Not sure how accurate the calorie burn listed for it is even when it is applied to actual typical house moving stuff.

You could do this, but from what I remember, it's super high. I'd log maybe 33-50% of the calories it gives you. Or, don't log it and just consider it bonus movement for the day. And you're going to be sore tomorrow, so make sure you drink plenty of water! :)
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    unloading pumpkins from a truck for a couple of hours is not a daily chore. How many of you unload pumpkins (from a truck for a couple of hours) as many times as you clean your bathroom? Bet there is a huge difference in numbers unless you are a farmer with a huge pumpkin patch then that number might be a little closer. :D

OP i bet there is an exercise in there for moving stuff. Hope that helps.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,957 Member
    edited September 2015
    Perhaps gardening! I'd log it. Just like I logged that day that I built part of a house. It wasn't something I typically do, so of course it's exercise. Just because you're not in a gym doesn't make it not exercise. I am not sure where people came up with that idea. It's called active living.
  • williamwj2014
    edited September 2015
    Oh lawd. I personally think even logging exercise is a waste of time (but if it works for you, awesome) and your so called calorie "burn" isn't accurate whatsoever. It doesn't account for effort or anything. Unless your hooked up to a machine which measures everything in your body, it's merely an estimate. Some days you will have bigger 'burns' than others, but to sit here and say that unloading a truck full of pumpkins or unloading a truck after moving into a new place isn't active living... -_- They might not be daily but there really isn't a reason as to why you should even log it.. unless your one of those people who gets a thrill over the "NICE BURN!!!" comments on here (LOL)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Oh lawd. I personally think even logging exercise is a waste of time (but if it works for you, awesome) and your so called calorie "burn" isn't accurate whatsoever. It doesn't account for effort or anything. Unless your hooked up to a machine which measures everything in your body, it's merely an estimate. Some days you will have bigger 'burns' than others, but to sit here and say that unloading a truck full of pumpkins or unloading a truck after moving into a new place isn't active living... -_- They might not be daily but there really isn't a reason as to why you should even log it.. unless your one of those people who gets a thrill over the "NICE BURN!!!" comments on here (LOL)

My job day to day is just lightly active (7500 steps), yet every 3-4 weeks I hand ball roller cage after roller cage of stock from one place to another. Pretty much like the task the OP is asking about.
    I never used to log it. Only logged my 10k runs.
    The day after doing this I'd gain 2lbs and have DOMS in my hands and fore arms so bad despite being very fit normally.
    3-4 days later I'd lose 2lbs, the water weight from the sore muscles. That week I'd lose 1lb-2lbs in weight.
    I track/weigh everything I eat and have for 11 years. Hand balling is a gruelling work out on the body.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    MFP exercise data bank:

Moving household items, carrying boxes
    for me @ 201 pounds= 640 calories for 60 minutes. Start there. Pays your money make your choices
  • williamwj2014

My job day to day is just lightly active (7500 steps), yet every 3-4 weeks I hand ball roller cage after roller cage of stock from one place to another. Pretty much like the task the OP is asking about.
    The day after doing this I'd gain 2lbs and have DOMS in my hands and fore arms so bad despite being very fit normally.
    3-4 days later I'd lose 2lbs, the water weight from the sore muscles. That week I'd lose 1lb-2lbs in weight.
    I track/weigh everything I eat and have for 11 years. Hand balling is a gruelling work out on the body.

I see where you're coming from but this is another thing people forget while using MFP to lose or maintain (gain even) that weight flunctuates, ALL THE TIME. I'm at maintenance now and I gain weight, and I lose weight, it's a never ending cycle. Of course, it depends on the activities every day which aren't always constant. When I was losing, I'd eat the same amount of calories regardless of how hard I worked out (sometimes an extra 100 calories if I knew it was a demanding day) I'm not sure what people use the calorie burns for though, never quite understood it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

I see where you're coming from but this is another thing people forget while using MFP to lose or maintain (gain even) that weight flunctuates, ALL THE TIME. I'm at maintenance now and I gain weight, and I lose weight, it's a never ending cycle. Of course, it depends on the activities every day which aren't always constant. When I was losing, I'd eat the same amount of calories regardless of how hard I worked out (sometimes an extra 100 calories if I knew it was a demanding day) I'm not sure what people use the calorie burns for though, never quite understood it.

Most people use the calorie burns to fuel their activity as opposed to incurring a steeper deficit. Depending on how much you were eating while losing, you may not have needed to do that. But considering that many people, especially women, on MFP are working with relatively low daily goals, eating exercise calories are a good way to stay on track with overall physical fitness while also losing weight.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Thanks. I asked bc it's certainly not a daily chore and its crazy hard. The pumpkins are up to 30 pounds and there's two semis full.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    _DaniC wrote: »
    Lol....

I agree with you, but no need to be rude! Jeez!

can you explain what's rude about it?

I wouldn't necessarily agree- I don't pick up and move things like that (outside of scheduled weight lifting)- so to me it would be an added burn- BUT it's not particularly rude- it's just not fluffy with smilies on it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Thanks. I asked bc it's certainly not a daily chore and its crazy hard. The pumpkins are up to 30 pounds and there's two semis full.
    When we go to get wood in the fall (5 cord) I don't log it as it is part of my normal life...

I consider it a bonus burn hence my original statement that I only log purposeful exercise.

Yes all things we do burn calories and we sometimes do "extra" stuff in life like help a friend move or help a friend load pumpkins but in the large scheme of things you aren't going to make or break your weight loss with this stuff...so why log it?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I wouldn't log it...for me to log "exercise" it has to be purposeful exercise not a random chore I am doing.

^
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Good answer! :)