October 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options
Welcome to our October Cycling Thread! If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

There are no rules to how or what you post. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivates you to get on your bike.

Cheers

Replies

• HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am going to stick to the same goal I had last month and shoot for 250-300 miles.
    October is an interesting month in MN weather-wise so this month should be a fun one.
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in!
    I just purchased the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike and am really excited!

It was just delivered today, so I have to put it together (I should be doing that instead of typing here LOL), but as fate would have it, just saw this thread started and it will be perfect for me and my new bike --- WOOT WOOT!

Now, off to put it together so I can start 10/1 B)
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need to get back into biking to work any way, this will help me keep motivated.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    CaseyGwaltney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to do this!

I've been doing 30 min of 'hills' on the bike at the gym! Are we going to have goals or anything??
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I think I'll aim for two goals: 125 miles for the month and at least a 21 mile ride to beat my previous 20 mile ride record :)
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Dang lol that's a lot! I think I'm at like 5 a day
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    MFP October 2015 Cycling Challenge:
    I have been doing the running challenge for a couple of months and it has drastically improved my running. I cycle some(mostly stationary) and think I will join this thread to improve my cycling as well. I gonna set my goal for 25 miles.

GOAL:25 miles
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Review ...

March: 409.33 km (254.34 miles) = 21 hours 55 min
    April: 384.15 km (238.7 miles) = 20 hours 35 min
    May: 259.06 km (160.9 miles) + 45 min cycling inside
    June: 493.53 km (306.6 miles) = 25 hours 31 min + 215 minutes (3 hours 35 min) cycling inside
    July: 130 km in 405 min + 280 min cycling inside
    Aug: 129.25 km in 474 min + 225 min cycling inside
    Sep: 224.8 km in 697 min + 35 min cycling inside

DST starts this weekend so we should have daylight in the evenings again, and I might actually start cycling outside in the evenings again. :grin:
    As for goals ... more than September.
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'll be doing mostly indoor riding - Spin classes and individual bike sessions.

No specific mile goal as I'm trying to mix up the cardio sessions to keep things interesting. But I'll post my stats periodically.

Happy riding everyone! :)
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm in, but with the haze still blowing in from Indonesia and the Pollutant Standard Index (PSI) consistently over 200 for most of the last three weeks, my goal for this month will be to get out every day if the PSI is below 130.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in again... setting my goal at 200.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Started my first day at 5.4 miles! I usually only workout 5 days a week due to working 2 jobs blah blah lol.

My goal is going to be 155 miles! About 5 miles a day. Not including the rest of my workout.

This is so exciting!!!

Good luck everyone :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got through 500 for September, October has extra days, and I'm upping my running total (to 170 miles), so I figure I'll just go for 550 this month.
  • SteveCro
    Options
    @ caseyGawaltney- welcome to the challenge, good start!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Calling for 60-100 MPH winds here Saturday. I think I'll wait and set a goal after I make sure my bike and the garage it lives in are still OK. :)

Does anyone use a trainer? I've thought about it, but compared to getting outside it just seems... blah. I guess it wouldn't be any more boring than the elliptical, and easy enough to put it inside in front of a monitor or something. Hmmm....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Calling for 60-100 MPH winds here Saturday. I think I'll wait and set a goal after I make sure my bike and the garage it lives in are still OK. :)

Does anyone use a trainer? I've thought about it, but compared to getting outside it just seems... blah. I guess it wouldn't be any more boring than the elliptical, and easy enough to put it inside in front of a monitor or something. Hmmm....

You're not in Australia are you? The wind storm blew in tonight and it is howling out there, it is supposed to ease up a tiny bit tomorrow, and then Saturday we're supposed to be blasted.

I've got a trainer. It's in our basement pointing at the TV and despite the fact that it doesn't get particularly cold here over the winter, it's been the preferable option to riding outside in chilly, wet, windy weather.

• the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would also like to join! I've only been biking for about a month, so I'm setting my goal to 75 miles. I have a daily commute of 1.5 miles roundtrip that I'll be including into this figure.

10/1 -

Goal: 75 miles
    Total: 0 miles
    Remaining: 75 miles
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    October
    Goal: 333.34 km (207.13 m)

Same goal as September though I feel this will be MUCH more difficult to accomplish. October weather is not known for stability.

I would greatly prefer my cycling to be out doors and GPS tracked, but if I can find a low cost trainer I may pick up the slack indoors.
  • SteveCro
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Yes I do.. I built a stand for my laptop in front of my bike so the front wheel straddles. I watch hulu, and youtube has some interesting cycling videos to watch. Sometimes I turn on Pandora and just jam out to some videos too. It is just way to blah to go at it with nothing.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wowie -- this is looking like one heck of a group so far. Cool to see so many new faces along with the usual suspects as well.