Washing a car (calories burned)

Options
Does anybody know how many calories you burn if you wash a car and it takes you 1 hour? Yes, I'm slow - I know it has to be under something under 'exercise' but I am not finding it. Thanks,

GRITSandSLUTS

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    How big is the car? 10 calories for a Smart Car and 100 cals for a Limo is the rule I live and die by.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would just count that as a bonus burn and not worry about logging it.
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You could try logging it as a light walk, although I imagine a good lay burns more lol.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    BULL! I put it as heavy cleaning and went with the number it gave me. I am so tired I am laying down . . . not a good time for jokes. ... I'm doing this myfitnesspal and turning it in to my MD, so it is important when it comes to losing weight.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Ok, if your not in the mood for jokes. Washing a car will probably just be considered as an everyday activity (although not done everyday) and will be included in your overall TDEE. To some people washing their car might mean standing with a hose pipe aimed at it so it's hard to track.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My understanding has always been that logged exercise is that which significantly raises your heart rate. That being said, were constantly burning calories just by being alive, so theoretically you did burn something. I'd log it as 50cals as well. It's great that you're working with a doc on your endeavor. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    _DaniC wrote: »
    Some advice, which you can choose to ignore and I will totally respect that lol I wouldn't log it as exercise. The reason is that technically it isn't exercise. Yes you burn calories, but why not make them "bonus" calories. I used to log all the walking I did daily (about 20 mins) as exercise and it hurt my cause more than it helped. It gave me an entitled feeling that I could skip my workout because at least I did some walking, plus it gave me more calories. It hindered my progress and motivation to do actual exercise.

I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS A FORUM FOR SUPPORT
  • slideaway1
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    _DaniC wrote: »
    Some advice, which you can choose to ignore and I will totally respect that lol I wouldn't log it as exercise. The reason is that technically it isn't exercise. Yes you burn calories, but why not make them "bonus" calories. I used to log all the walking I did daily (about 20 mins) as exercise and it hurt my cause more than it helped. It gave me an entitled feeling that I could skip my workout because at least I did some walking, plus it gave me more calories. It hindered my progress and motivation to do actual exercise.

I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS A FORUM FOR SUPPORT

:D
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No jokes now. She's tired guys, she washed a whole car...For a whole hour... slowly... I'm lazy as hell though so I can't criticize too much... That being said though, if your DR. wants numbers I would advise to log as 50 cals. as well...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BULL! I put it as heavy cleaning and went with the number it gave me. I am so tired I am laying down . . . not a good time for jokes. ... I'm doing this myfitnesspal and turning it in to my MD, so it is important when it comes to losing weight.

No, not bull. Don't make the mistake of directly linking calorie burn with perceived effort. A fit person your weight would burn essentially the same calories performing the task as you did, but would not be collapsing afterwards.

Just because it wore you out does not mean the calorie burn is necessarily greater. What it means is that you are quite unfit at present (no insult intended) and what should be a relatively easy task is more difficult for you at present.

Being unfit does not elevate calorie burn, not by enough to matter.

Been there, done that.

As an example, when I first started running at my heaviest (255) I would burn almost exactly the same calories per mile as I would three weeks later. The only difference was that three weeks later I was somewhat more fit and didn't feel like I was about to die, and could run 1 or 2km non stop, even though I wasn't that much lighter.

What changed in three weeks? Miles did not get shorter and I was much the same weight. My pace did not change, either. I simply perceived less effort because I was more fit, but the actual work effort (speed, distance, weight) remained the same, therefore same calorie burn.

Back to you: Imagine you wash your car every day for a month but lose zero weight, intentionally. Do you think car washing will be easier or harder by the end of the month?

Easier, because your fitness will have improved.

Same calorie burn though.

You'll be doing yourself and your progress a disservice if you overestimate effort and calorie burn due to your perceptions based on your current level of fitness.

Best of luck
    Mike

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    How dirty was this car?
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Whoa, lighten up, friend.

In all seriousness, I live by the rule that unless I had to put on a sports bra for it, I don't count it on the tracker (with the exception of a planned walk). Count this as a bonus, as others have said, and feel proud of it. :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My brain burns 250- 300 calories a day the rest of my body around 1600 calories just laying on the couch. Did you burn calories washing your car YES 100% did you burn many more than you would have laying on the couch not that many more maybe an extra 100 calories. The fact that your tired is because your cardio system is out of shape not because you did something your body can easily do everyday if you had a well working cardio system..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. It's NOT exercise. If you feel you must, enter it with about 5 calories burned.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

In all seriousness, I live by the rule that unless I had to put on a sports bra for it, I don't count it on the tracker (with the exception of a planned walk). Count this as a bonus, as others have said, and feel proud of it. :)

Twinsies! I have the same rule!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Twinsies! I have the same rule!

Picture or it didn't happen

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you're so tired you're laying down? what does that even mean?
    how does that become a prerequisite for calories burned?

I'm assuming your a poor excuse for a troll because no one could possibly believe washing a car is heavy cleaning. that's just absurd.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that being exhausted after washing your car is a wake-up call to improve your fitness.......