I am rude to woo labels

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
I'm trying to make some seitan with a more complete amino acid profile, so I'm taking Bob's Soy Protein with its proud gluten free label, and mixing it with pure gluten.
And yes, I'm aware of legitimate reasons to avoid gluten like celiac disease, but I'm also aware of why the label is more common now.vzf07paikmfl.jpg

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair to Bob's ... they process both gluten and gluten-free foods and have been doing so for a long time. They've worked closely with the celiac associations and have been a trusted source for gluten-free goods for celiac sufferers for a while. I was diagnosed 18 years ago and they were a brand I knew of back then I could trust, as long as it was their gluten free stuff.

So that gluten free on the soy is letting you know that it was produced on a clean line, at least when it's coming from Bob's.

Now, I know all of this because I know the company.

There are other companies that will slap that gluten free label on naturally gluten free foods because it's all the rage. I just laugh and shake my head.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So that gluten free on the soy is letting you know that it was produced on a clean line, at least when it's coming from Bob's.

Pet peeve, fat-free Jell-O. I don't think they sell it that way any more.

How about "high protein" cereals? Touting between 10 and 15 g of protein a serving. How about an egg instead?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

How about "high protein" cereals? Touting between 10 and 15 g of protein a serving. How about an egg instead?
    cheerios-protein-cereal-560x387.jpg
    The "with milk" irks me every time
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I agree with @PeachyCarol . its sometimes laughable to see some products labeled as gluten free , they definitely throw it in there because its the current craze. It also makes me feel bad for celiacs because they have a real reason to avoid gluten .
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Stocking health and beauty, I thought the gluten free labeled soaps were pretty unnecessary, until someone came in specifically asking for gluten free soap. Once I googled it and found it it was a real thing, I felt bad for mocking the labeling.

Right? I mocked a pack of instant soup for listing celery as an allergen, then I Googled and found out it was a real, serious thing!
  • senecarr
    Options
    Well, to be fair to Bob's ... they process both gluten and gluten-free foods and have been doing so for a long time. They've worked closely with the celiac associations and have been a trusted source for gluten-free goods for celiac sufferers for a while. I was diagnosed 18 years ago and they were a brand I knew of back then I could trust, as long as it was their gluten free stuff.

There are other companies that will slap that gluten free label on naturally gluten free foods because it's all the rage. I just laugh and shake my head.

Not surprised. Given what their products are for, I imagine their lines have always indicated when they're gluten free (for some of their products, that's the point), but I'm guessing 18 years ago, they didn't have quite the graphic design on there in the same size proclaiming gluten free.
    I just also find it funny that being a company that revolves around flour / powdered baking stuff, they sell both a lot of gluten free items, and they sell raw, pure gluten.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between excitement that it's easier to cook for the people in my life who have legitimate allergies, and laughing my face off when I see a gluten free tag on my spinach. Really?
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have pure gluten stocked and make protein breads all the time.
    My cheesy breads (Harzer) are less than 140 calories per serving and 20g of protein. Pure win! ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Stocking health and beauty, I thought the gluten free labeled soaps were pretty unnecessary, until someone came in specifically asking for gluten free soap. Once I googled it and found out it was a real thing, I felt bad for mocking the labeling.

One of the forms celiac disease can take is dermatitis herpetiformis, and yeah, the people who have that have to be extra careful with skin products with gluten. Even people without DH can have issues with gluten-containing skin products.

I don't have DH, but Aveeno products and I do not get along. I doubt they use gluten free oats.

• PeachyCarol
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Not surprised. Given what their products are for, I imagine their lines have always indicated when they're gluten free (for some of their products, that's the point), but I'm guessing 18 years ago, they didn't have quite the graphic design on there in the same size proclaiming gluten free.
    I just also find it funny that being a company that revolves around flour / powdered baking stuff, they sell both a lot of gluten free items, and they sell raw, pure gluten.

I think the sale of pure gluten became popular with the advent of home bread making machines. A lot of recipes for use in those call for adding vital wheat gluten. I remember starting to see it in stores around when those first appeared on the market.

Damn, I'm old.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm torn between excitement that it's easier to cook for the people in my life who have legitimate allergies, and laughing my face off when I see a gluten free tag on my spinach. Really?

I was going to say lettuce; definitely the most ridiculous I've seen.

I had a similar knee jerk reaction to vitamins, but I could see tons of different things used as fillers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why is that funny? Different people want/need different foods.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Oh, I've met some people who have gluten sensitivities that are so bad, they're able to detect the slightest trace. They'd probably welcome a "gluten free" label on everything that was legitimately free of all traces, even if it was an obvious food.

I have a friend who once had a fairly violent reaction because she accidentally drank out of her husband's water bottle and he'd eaten something with gluten in it hours before. She has special containers that she uses to transport her own food (because she can't eat out anywhere or risk using a container that her husband had stored food in), and she has to wash them in a separate dishwasher load from her husband's dishes.

Before she and her doctor determined the serious level of her allergy, she would trust "obvious" foods, but occasionally, that food would have been exposed to gluten in processing, or would have included an ingredient that one would think wouldn't be on certain foods and end up sick. (One of her lessons was never to trust meat kabobs. Apparently there's a common seasoning with gluten that's used in a lot of restaurants.)

Knowing her has really taught me some things about gluten sensitivities. I still roll my eyes at the people who claim their obesity was caused by gluten and that I should totally pick up the "Wheat Belly" book though.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Oh, I've met some people who have gluten sensitivities that are so bad, they're able to detect the slightest trace. They'd probably welcome a "gluten free" label on everything that was legitimately free of all traces, even if it was an obvious food.

I have a friend who once had a fairly violent reaction because she accidentally drank out of her husband's water bottle and he'd eaten something with gluten in it hours before. She has special containers that she uses to transport her own food (because she can't eat out anywhere or risk using a container that her husband had stored food in), and she has to wash them in a separate dishwasher load from her husband's dishes.

Before she and her doctor determined the serious level of her allergy, she would trust "obvious" foods, but occasionally, that food would have been exposed to gluten in processing, or would have included an ingredient that one would think wouldn't be on certain foods and end up sick. (One of her lessons was never to trust meat kabobs. Apparently there's a common seasoning with gluten that's used in a lot of restaurants.)

Knowing her has really taught me some things about gluten sensitivities. I still roll my eyes at the people who claim their obesity was caused by gluten and that I should totally pick up the "Wheat Belly" book though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am going to play devil's advocate. There are a lot of people who have peanut allergies that could kill them with such minimal contact as you're describing. They always have to scour the back of label's tiny print to determine if something could have been possibly processed anywhere near peanuts. Gluten free has become a screaming label on the front of things that is like a proclamation of its health qualities and has created a culture of people going gluten free for absolutely no reason.

Your friend is proof that labels are important and necessary, but it should be for allergy purposes...not a proclamation of health benefit for anyone else.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

sometimes i don't want an egg
  • senecarr
    Options

Why is that funny? Different people want/need different foods.

And yet I find it very hard to buy a diet coke at Whole Foods? Is that funny instead?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Stocking health and beauty, I thought the gluten free labeled soaps were pretty unnecessary, until someone came in specifically asking for gluten free soap. Once I googled it and found out it was a real thing, I felt bad for mocking the labeling.

One of the forms celiac disease can take is dermatitis herpetiformis, and yeah, the people who have that have to be extra careful with skin products with gluten. Even people without DH can have issues with gluten-containing skin products.

I don't have DH, but Aveeno products and I do not get along. I doubt they use gluten free oats.

This is me...in our house, all shampoo, conditioner, bodywash...all gf...otherwise, I'd be covered in rash, ALL the time. As it is, I get "fooled" by products claiming to be GF, then within moments, I can prove the mfr's wrong....
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Off track, but don't eat GF at Kelsey's....been fooled TWICE by their gf menu!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Exactly.

And, I always laugh at those "naturally gluten free" labels too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I laugh at the candy cereals that say "part of this nutritious breakfast" (and there's a photo of a glass of milk and an apple with the candy cereal).