I am rude to woo labels

Options
2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    So that gluten free on the soy is letting you know that it was produced on a clean line, at least when it's coming from Bob's.

Pet peeve, fat-free Jell-O. I don't think they sell it that way any more.

How about "high protein" cereals? Touting between 10 and 15 g of protein a serving. How about an egg instead?
    cheerios-protein-cereal-560x387.jpg
    The "with milk" irks me every time
    I laugh at the candy cereals that say "part of this nutritious breakfast" (and there's a photo of a glass of milk and an apple with the candy cereal).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdjacentToThisCompleteBreakfast
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Well, to be fair to Bob's ... they process both gluten and gluten-free foods and have been doing so for a long time. They've worked closely with the celiac associations and have been a trusted source for gluten-free goods for celiac sufferers for a while. I was diagnosed 18 years ago and they were a brand I knew of back then I could trust, as long as it was their gluten free stuff.

So that gluten free on the soy is letting you know that it was produced on a clean line, at least when it's coming from Bob's.

Now, I know all of this because I know the company.

There are other companies that will slap that gluten free label on naturally gluten free foods because it's all the rage. I just laugh and shake my head.

Not surprised. Given what their products are for, I imagine their lines have always indicated when they're gluten free (for some of their products, that's the point), but I'm guessing 18 years ago, they didn't have quite the graphic design on there in the same size proclaiming gluten free.
    I just also find it funny that being a company that revolves around flour / powdered baking stuff, they sell both a lot of gluten free items, and they sell raw, pure gluten.

Why is that funny? Different people want/need different foods.

And yet I find it very hard to buy a diet coke at Whole Foods? Is that funny instead?

Because Diet Coke is not "whole"? Hysterical!! ::laugh::
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm torn between excitement that it's easier to cook for the people in my life who have legitimate allergies, and laughing my face off when I see a gluten free tag on my spinach. Really?

Oh, I've met some people who have gluten sensitivities that are so bad, they're able to detect the slightest trace. They'd probably welcome a "gluten free" label on everything that was legitimately free of all traces, even if it was an obvious food.

I have a friend who once had a fairly violent reaction because she accidentally drank out of her husband's water bottle and he'd eaten something with gluten in it hours before. She has special containers that she uses to transport her own food (because she can't eat out anywhere or risk using a container that her husband had stored food in), and she has to wash them in a separate dishwasher load from her husband's dishes.

Before she and her doctor determined the serious level of her allergy, she would trust "obvious" foods, but occasionally, that food would have been exposed to gluten in processing, or would have included an ingredient that one would think wouldn't be on certain foods and end up sick. (One of her lessons was never to trust meat kabobs. Apparently there's a common seasoning with gluten that's used in a lot of restaurants.)

Knowing her has really taught me some things about gluten sensitivities. I still roll my eyes at the people who claim their obesity was caused by gluten and that I should totally pick up the "Wheat Belly" book though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am going to play devil's advocate. There are a lot of people who have peanut allergies that could kill them with such minimal contact as you're describing. They always have to scour the back of label's tiny print to determine if something could have been possibly processed anywhere near peanuts. Gluten free has become a screaming label on the front of things that is like a proclamation of its health qualities and has created a culture of people going gluten free for absolutely no reason.

Your friend is proof that labels are important and necessary, but it should be for allergy purposes...not a proclamation of health benefit for anyone else.

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad deal. But if a company wants to use it a sales gimmick, that's not necessarily wrong (as long as it's 100% true). I come from a neighborhood with a lot of Orthodox Jewish people. In my local store, you'll see "Kosher!" often printed on items in big, bold-face font, whereas at other stores, it'd probably limited to the (k) or (U) symbol on the back near the ingredients list.

In fact, they even have a giant display in the front with a big banner that reads "Kosher Pepsi," so the store's in on it too, not just the product.

It's totally a sales gimmick, but the people who buy kosher appreciate the big text, and it probably helps sell certain items, so why not?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Well, to be fair to Bob's ... they process both gluten and gluten-free foods and have been doing so for a long time. They've worked closely with the celiac associations and have been a trusted source for gluten-free goods for celiac sufferers for a while. I was diagnosed 18 years ago and they were a brand I knew of back then I could trust, as long as it was their gluten free stuff.

There are other companies that will slap that gluten free label on naturally gluten free foods because it's all the rage. I just laugh and shake my head.

Not surprised. Given what their products are for, I imagine their lines have always indicated when they're gluten free (for some of their products, that's the point), but I'm guessing 18 years ago, they didn't have quite the graphic design on there in the same size proclaiming gluten free.
    I just also find it funny that being a company that revolves around flour / powdered baking stuff, they sell both a lot of gluten free items, and they sell raw, pure gluten.

And yet I find it very hard to buy a diet coke at Whole Foods? Is that funny instead?

It is whole. I don't feel complete without it.
    AH screw it, I'll just go to Plum Market instead. I won't see my cousin, but seeing as he was almost written up for wearing his Coca-Cola shirt to work at Whole Foods, I think he'll understand.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

AH screw it, I'll just go to Plum Market instead. I won't see my cousin, but seeing as he was almost written up for wearing his Coca-Cola shirt to work at Whole Foods, I think he'll understand.

I've shopped in a whole foods while drinking a 20 oz Coke Zero before...

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna play a bit of devil's advocate too.

I'm sure most who suffer from celiacs/gluten sensitivities are well aware of what they can/cannot eat.

My best friend's wife has celiac, and we get together quite often for shared dinners/cookouts, etc. And I try very hard to ensure whatever my contribution to the meal is, is something that she can eat. Now, I'm getting better at realizing and remembering what products & brands are no-nos for her, but I'll admit for a while having that label on a few things I was unsure about helped me - as someone who previously had no need to educate himself on such issues.

Now, things like lettuce, well yeah duh, it's obviously a stupid marketing ploy.

But (for example) I could never remember which grains she could and could not have. Or which brands processed "safe" grains on the same lines as "unsafe". So the labeling helped me quite a bit.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm gonna play a bit of devil's advocate too.

I'm sure most who suffer from celiacs/gluten sensitivities are well aware of what they can/cannot eat.

My best friend's wife has celiac, and we get together quite often for shared dinners/cookouts, etc. And I try very hard to ensure whatever my contribution to the meal is, is something that she can eat. Now, I'm getting better at realizing and remembering what products & brands are no-nos for her, but I'll admit for a while having that label on a few things I was unsure about helped me - as someone who previously had no need to educate himself on such issues.

Now, things like lettuce, well yeah duh, it's obviously a stupid marketing ploy.

But (for example) I could never remember which grains she could and could not have. Or which brands processed "safe" grains on the same lines as "unsafe". So the labeling helped me quite a bit.

Second that! The grains really throw me off.
  • senecarr
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

I've shopped in a whole foods while drinking a 20 oz Coke Zero before...
    Well be glad you were shopping and not working. It could get you fired if the customers see.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between excitement that it's easier to cook for the people in my life who have legitimate allergies, and laughing my face off when I see a gluten free tag on my spinach. Really?

Took a pic the other day of certified non gmo salt at whole foods. All the salt was labelled as such.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    I then ripped off all the non gmo labels and stuck them on the underside of the shelf. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.
  • senecarr
    Options

Took a pic the other day of certified non gmo salt at whole foods. All the salt was labelled as such.
    I enjoy the Himalyan and sea salts that advertise containing traces of 80 elements.
    Well, doing some math, there's 92 natural elements. 6 are natural gases that aren't really going to appear in food, so that leaves 86. That leaves at most 6 more to dump and still be 80. My problem with that is there 29 radioactive elements - some like potassium, okay, deal, but others, I don't really want in my salt. Similar to the toxic heavy metals.
    But hey, all natural, right?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I then ripped off all the non gmo labels and stuck them on the underside of the shelf. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Fight the Power, sister. That being said, that's vandalism so don't expect mercy if your friendly retailer or his loss-prevention staff catch you at it.

@senecarr Here's the spectral analysis on your salt. Mmm... natural uranium. Incidentally, if you really need this stuff, you can buy "kala namak" at any South Asian grocery for a fraction of the Whole Foods price.

• senecarr
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

Fight the Power, sister. That being said, that's vandalism so don't expect mercy if your friendly retailer or his loss-prevention staff catch you at it.

@senecarr Here's the spectral analysis on your salt. Mmm... natural uranium. Incidentally, if you really need this stuff, you can buy "kala namak" at any South Asian grocery for a fraction of the Whole Foods price.
    Haven't felt the need for it before, but maybe it will give me healthy glow if I use it?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Haven't felt the need for it before, but maybe it will give me healthy glow if I use it?

The trace lead and plutonium will give you wings, and possibly a third eye.

• senecarr
    Options

The trace lead and plutonium will give you wings, and possibly a third eye.

Yeah, I could see that happening.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I hope we don't shop at the same store.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

I hope we don't shop at the same store.

I'm sure we dont but if you ever need help buying NON GMO SALT you're on your own in the Wellesley Whole Foods
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options

So because a company makes regular flour and baking items means they can't make gluten free items as well?

And as far as the GF labeling on things: that doesn't necessarily mean all the ingredients listed in the item are gluten free. I have seen things labeled as GF and they have carmel coloring as one of the ingredients which has gluten in it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

I fear no consequences. I'm committed to the cause.
  • senecarr
    Options

So because a company makes regular flour and baking items means they can't make gluten free items as well?

And as far as the GF labeling on things: that doesn't necessarily mean all the ingredients listed in the item are gluten free. I have seen things labeled as GF and they have carmel coloring as one of the ingredients which has gluten in it.

I don't think of Vital Wheat gluten as a regular baking item, it is a little bit specialized.
    Soy Protein powder really isn't a baking item. It's a protein powder. While Bob's Redmill has a certain kind of integrity that means that having the label of gluten free is a higher standard than a lot of companies (Bob's won't use the same lines for gluten items and gluten free items, unlike some places that say gluten free but can have cross contamination), I have no dillusions that they put that label on their for celiacs. They have it on there for the same reason they have a NON-GMO policy on their site and getting their items certified by the NON-GMO Verified Project - that reason being it will sell more to their market base. Bob's Redmill knows that kinds of customers that buy their stuff is more likely than the general population to believe that gluten is a toxin that hurts normal people. They know their clients think there is something wrong GMO's despite the overwhelming science.

I still shop with them because I don't blame them for having to respond to customer desires, and I like supporting an employee owned company. It is a slight ethical trade-off for me when I buy their products.