How do all you vegetarians and vegans out there get your daily protein?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm reaching out to see how different people get protein in their diets as vegetarians and vegans. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, however I was not very contentious of my diet. These days I'm starting to get back into it, but I want to do it the right way and eat much healthier than I did before.

So, how much protein do you guys eat every day? And what kinds of foods do you eat to get that protein? Cheers :blush:

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I get between 100 and 110g of protein daily (I'm a 5'5 female at about 135lbs, currently).

I find that I have to make a conscious effort to incorporate protein into my diet, but it's not that hard. I eat a fair amount of soy and start the day off with a protein shake which has helped tremendously. I also stopped snacking as much on plain fruit and vegetables and instead found other snack options that have a higher protein content (like smoked tofu on crackers or roasted edamame - yum!)

Feel free to add me - my diary is open to friends :)
  • kathrynjean_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, and another tip I would add is to double up your protein sources in meals. Tonight I had red beans and rice with a cut up veggie dog in there. Try to combine edamame, quinoa and beans - or something like that.

Also, despite it being brought up all the time for vegetarians, nuts really aren't a great source of protein. They're tasty and can help you hit fat macros but aren't going to help you that much with protein. Just as an FYI.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    leighloh wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I'm reaching out to see how different people get protein in their diets as vegetarians and vegans. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, however I was not very contentious of my diet. These days I'm starting to get back into it, but I want to do it the right way and eat much healthier than I did before.

So, how much protein do you guys eat every day? And what kinds of foods do you eat to get that protein? Cheers :blush:

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I often have days where I just don't eat meat. I do eat lots of eggs, I have chickens and quail, and beans- I'm a big fan of black beans and chickpeas. Sometimes I eat tofu, and I often supplement with protein powder in smoothies. And I use whole milk in my coffee. I do keep nut and peanut butters around, but they are not as high in protein as people say.
  • josiebanks18
    josiebanks18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am a plant based vegan (meaning I avoid all fake meats/cheeses and other processed foods)
    I get protein from plants! p8o1t4hvw7xb.jpg
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I am a plant based vegan (meaning I avoid all fake meats/cheeses and other processed foods)

We've talked about that image on science forums. It's not accurate.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I struggle. I think it's easier to do if you're maintaining, but when you're eating in a deficit, it's a little harder. I usually get between 40-50 grams a day, which I suppose is ok because I think a healthy weight woman needs about that much. I do eat beans a lot, and some fake meats (tofurkey sandwiches for days om nom nom).
  • kathrynjean_
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

We've talked about that image on science forums. It's not accurate.

Also just wanted to say that soy IS a plant (or technically, a legume) and that none of those listed are sources of complete protein.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are a hidden protein gem. Honestly I don't know where my protein comes from. It just sort of happens. On a 1200cal diet as a vegetarian (with no eggs or plain milk) I consistently unconsciously was able to get 40-50g a day. You might be surprised. It's really not that hard to get, as it's practically in everything
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for nine years. About 15% of my calories are from protein. I get it from beans, grains, vegetables, tempeh, tofu, seitan, and (less often) protein powder, nuts, and seeds.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    leighloh wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years, however I was not very contentious of my diet. These days I'm starting to get back into it, but I want to do it the right way and eat much healthier than I did before.
    So, how much protein do you guys eat every day?

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 21 years. I can't even count all of the times I've been asked whether I worry about getting enough protein by people who are likely deficient in all sorts of nutrients and have less muscle mass than I do. Granted, it's not hard when dairy/eggs are an option, I'm satisfied with small portions of high calorie/low protein snacks, and I like all of the widely available beans, nuts and vegetables. I've never eaten the high levels of protein people throw around and yet I've never noticed any problems building muscle during the times I've stuck with a weight lifting program, and the muscle I do gain doesn't quickly waste away when I'm not regularly lifting. About 15-20% of my calories come from protein. If focusing on "getting enough protein" helps you avoid high calorie/low nutrient foods, or if you aren't going to be eating dairy/eggs, then go for it.

Here's a handy chart of foods by protein content. Click on the last column and you'll see the foods sorted by the % of calories that come from protein. By definition, those will be your most protein dense foods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-protein_diet#Protein_composition_of_foods
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't think I get enough protein, but I try to be mindful of it. Recently got a protein powder to use in my smoothies but it tastes awful so I have to find another one that I can actually drink before I get serious about it. I don't want to have to rely on protein powder, but with my limited time and somewhat limited food options (I work in a school, and where I live we're not allowed to eat our own food in the dining hall with the kids) it would be a good option (once I actually find one that works for me that is!).
  • leighloh
    leighloh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, these responses are all fantastic.

What vegetables do you eat most often to get your protein?
    Oh, and another tip I would add is to double up your protein sources in meals. Tonight I had red beans and rice with a cut up veggie dog in there. Try to combine edamame, quinoa and beans - or something like that.

Also, despite it being brought up all the time for vegetarians, nuts really aren't a great source of protein. They're tasty and can help you hit fat macros but aren't going to help you that much with protein. Just as an FYI.

That's a whole lot of protein. I am nowhere near that, but that's really good advice about doubling up at meals

• leighloh
    leighloh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I struggle. I think it's easier to do if you're maintaining, but when you're eating in a deficit, it's a little harder. I usually get between 40-50 grams a day, which I suppose is ok because I think a healthy weight woman needs about that much. I do eat beans a lot, and some fake meats (tofurkey sandwiches for days om nom nom).

I agree with you about it being easier when you're maintaining. It's difficult to get in enough protein while being on a deficit, as a lot of common non-meat protein-rich foods are so high in calories. I love me some tofurkey tho, on occassion of course :wink:
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I got about 150g a day as a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but when I went fully vegan, it got quite a bit trickier. I probably get 60-75g most days now, from beans, whole grains, tofu, tempeh, green veggies and sometimes protein powder if my overall calorie count is low and I need more concentrated protein. I do eat some faux meats but I try not to overdo it because of the sodium content.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    SEITAN! I make it from scratch and use it to make jerky, steaks, sausages, mince...... :smile:

Other than that, Chobani yogurt (massive amount of protein per tub), tofu, eggs (especially the cartons of just whites) and the occasional pre-packaged fake meat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    NOT a vegetarian here, but I have one or two vegetarian meals a week. I prefer this diagram as it is in grams not percentage (which is highly deceiving).
    vegan-pregnancy-diet-protein.jpg
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i think milk and milk products are main source of protein plus some nuts and vegetables for me, never really bothered about quantity really, as long as my stomach is full i am happy i know mfp break down protein fat carb, as long as i am fit and healthy and play compatitive sports for 2-3 hrs, one must enjoy the food you have thats my opinon
    been vegetarian no eggs no fish almost all my life 60years plus :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto veggie, and I get 100-120 g a day, mostly from dairy, eggs, bean pasta, whatever's in the veggies I eat, and protein bars (because I like light small meals).
  • lgura895
    lgura895 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are some pea shoot and other plant based products on the market that are very good. One I like is Beyond Meat. Legumes are loaded with protein.