"food for thought" for vegetarians/ vegans?

Options
nas061
nas061 Posts: 256 Member
Scientists find proof plants are capable of complex arithmetic

Plants carry out arithmetic calculations each night to prevent them starving before dawn, scientists have discovered for the first time.

Professor Martin Howard, ..... said the study provides "The first concrete example in biology of such a sophisticated arithmetic calculation" at a fundamental biological level.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10134715/Scientists-find-proof-plants-are-capable-of-complex-arithmetic.html

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wish I had molecules that would perform calculations for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You want me to starve to death, don't you?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Do you think they are good at Trig too? Could use some help with that
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Scientists find proof plants are capable of complex arithmetic

Plants carry out arithmetic calculations each night to prevent them starving before dawn, scientists have discovered for the first time.

Professor Martin Howard, ..... said the study provides "The first concrete example in biology of such a sophisticated arithmetic calculation" at a fundamental biological level.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10134715/Scientists-find-proof-plants-are-capable-of-complex-arithmetic.html

Are you saying that plants are living creatures that have brains capable of performing complex tasks?

Does this mean vegans will resort to eating rocks?
    scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Interesting from a nature and science perspective but doesn't make me reconsider my food choices at all.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've had partners dumber than that, and am a longtime vegetarian. One perspective, of Tibetan Buddhism, is to be as intentionally-harmless as possible during life, even knowing that you'll step on bugs in the grass, will take anti- or probiotics that kill off other things, will have road accidents or other mishaps. It doesn't mean to be wimpy or to paralyze yourself in trying not to harm any at all, but to understand that one can reduce negative impact on the world, and that actions have consequences. *shrug*
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    WOW, you've convinced me. I'll start eating cows (horses, dogs) immediately. It's all the same, right?
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Until plants are proved sentient, I will not reconsider anything.

Also I think that this comment summed it up nicely!

'anonomouser
    06/24/2013 07:21 PM
    My cat can leap in a perfect arc from one point to another. This proves cats can do ballistic missile trajectory calculations in their heads. Since these calculations can only be done using high level math, the only possible conclusion is that there must be a high precision floating point calculating unit somewhere in the cat's brain. Now give me my damn Nobel prize.'
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do you think they are good at Trig too? Could use some help with that

Apparently they only do division, so far as we know. You'd think that calculus would help with all those rates.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

'anonomouser
    My cat can leap in a perfect arc from one point to another. This proves cats can do ballistic missile trajectory calculations in their heads. Since these calculations can only be done using high level math, the only possible conclusion is that there must be a high precision floating point calculating unit somewhere in the cat's brain. Now give me my damn Nobel prize.'

So when/if they are, will you switch to eating rocks?

Seriously. Is that the criteria? Just curious.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options

'anonomouser

So when/if they are, will you switch to eating rocks?

Seriously. Is that the criteria? Just curious.

I think if plants were proved sentient I would have to rethink and would probably end up as some sort of frutarian or something.

But I won't because they are not sentient.

And I wouldn't eat rocks, given that at best they are good for a sore stomach and have no nutritional value.

Unless covered in moss maybe.

But the moss would be sentient.

ANOTHER DILEMMA.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You do know fruit comes from plants, right? They are like plant eggs.

I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I get the urge to not hurt stuff, but its inevitable. You have to accept it, even if you choose to not eat meat.

Eat what you want of course, certainly doesn't hurt me any. :)
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Plants would eat you if they had the chance, just like cows. Eat them all and let God sort them out.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I get the urge to not hurt stuff, but its inevitable. You have to accept it, even if you choose to not eat meat.

Eat what you want of course, certainly doesn't hurt me any. :)

your reasons for being vegetarian and your logic behind that =/= my reasons and my logic.

and no i'm not going to YET AGAIN put forth my reason because I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years now and there was this rad thing that not only got invented and but also became widespread since the dawn of my vegetarianism called the INTERNET with these things called "search engines" that one can use. In fact, I am quite certain I already at least once put in the effort to explain on a thread in MFP why...

there is a search feature for that.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I get the urge to not hurt stuff, but its inevitable.

just saying- removing my ovaries =/= killing me. You realize that, right?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I get the urge to not hurt stuff, but its inevitable.

See also: My chickens do not die every time they lay.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Depends how it's done ....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Fruit is produced to attract animals (including humans) to pick and eat and therefore spread the seeds for the plant's reproduction.

It actually works in the plant's favor for the fruit to get eaten. Just like flower nectar attracts bees so they will pollinate and make more flowers.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

See also: My chickens do not die every time they lay.

No ****?!?

We were talking about fruit here.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm really sick of people making fun of vegetarians on this site and trolling....why is it so freakin' threatening to know there are people out there that don't eat meat? How does me not eating meat affect you in any way?