Your house is on fire....

Replies

• My house actually burned to the ground March 21, 2000, due to an electrical fire.
    You do not have time for 3 things, you only have time for 1.
    What I grabbed was my daughters pink panther stuffed toy as she had slept with that since she was born.
    Why because in my mind it felt like an extension of her and I knew if she had to save one thing she wouldn't want to be without that. I was the only person home at the time.

If I had had time for 2 other things I would of grabbed all the photos (including home videos) and all of my daughters diaries ( we would sit every night and she would tell me what to write in her diary from age 2 on up until she was old enough to write it herself. I had tons of little diaries for all those years, her thoughts, feelings) but couldn't not grab them.

My boyfriends house caught fire December 27th, 2012 (yes, 6 months ago).

It was contained all to the upstairs thankfully, and 2 people were home and they grabbed their purses, cellphones, and the dog.

They are now rebuilding, and we're just glad everyone was ok. Everyone else was at work - His aunt was visiting from the middle east and their room-mate was off of work that day.

If it was me - we have a detachable hard drive with all out information and important papers scanned in, I'm grabbing that, my laptop, and my purse.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Keys
    wallet
    phone

This.

Everything else that's really important is in a fire proof box.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Purse with cell phone and keys in it
    iPad
    The flash drive that backs up the home computer
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Our lock box with important papers such as shot records,birth certificates,etc. in it
    my purse
    laptop with hd and pics on it

Get a lock box that's fireproof. Sometimes you don't have time.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Wallet, Car Keys, Phone.
  • I'm sure if my house was on fire the last thing I think of would be to grab something. However, if I did have time to grab anything, it would be my memory box. It has our wedding CDs, cards given to us by our friends and family, and other personal memorabilia. Also, a picture of Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm that my husband gave me for my birthday before we were married. There is a special reason why that picture is so important.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    But in all honesty, if my house were on fire the ONLY thing I would be thinking about is how to get my two sons out safely.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    external hd.
    box of sons art/school projects
    my portfolio with my art

cellphones and wallets and purses n stuff can be replaced.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Phone
    Laptop has every picture & all my back-up photo/video discs in the case
    Memory box full of our kids stuff/accomplishments
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    My stove caught fire in my new apartment recently - gas hadn't been hooked up properly. I grabbed the fire extinguisher!
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    My purse
    Cell phone if it wasn't in my purse

For the third I guess it would depend on where the fire was on if I grabbed my laptop or tablet.

Honestly I love my cats to death and wouldn't want to give them up for nothing, that being said I am not sure if my house was on fire I would take the time to track their butts down, especially if they were hiding :(
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Phone
    Handbag
    Cat
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    my squat rack, wallet and "real doll"
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    My purse (cell phone and keys are **usually** inside)
    Nook HD
    My English Bulldog Luka
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    But in all honesty, if my house were on fire the ONLY thing I would be thinking about is how to get my two sons out safely.

Yeah humans and then make sure the animals were safe. Be nice to grab the sentimental stuff, but life is more important.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    my squat rack, wallet and "real doll"

bwahahahaha images of a naked guy coming out of a burning house holding onto an undressed, heavily used real doll!! ROFLMAO!! :laugh:
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    I'd ignore the fire extinguishers in my kitchen and closet, I'd grab my laptop off my Nightstand and log on to Myfitnesspal, then I'd make a thread titled "Your house is on fire...." and wait for responses.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member

This right here.

Well I guess it's time for me to share my story...

The house I lived in with my father burned down when I was 18. I had been 18 for a week, and was @ the UofArizona for an internship.

He forgot I was not at home (had been gone for 3 days). Instead of trying to save himself that night, he was found by the bathroom, he was headed to my bedroom.

I lost a lot of material possessions...clothes, graduation gown, diploma, mementos, letters, pictures....not that I cared. Hell, all I wanted was my dad.

Kudos for my dad trying to get to the one thing that was important to him. Dad, you rock. RIP. \m/
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    My purse.
    My nightstand.
    My pictures.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    -Big book of drawings
    - Hello kitty plushies (Yes, I said right!)
    - Xbox 360