Best Low Calorie Sources of Fibre

Options
Hi everyone, what do you find to be the best sources of Fibre while not containing many calories? Erm... ...I don't think I need elaborate on why I require this information. Let's just say, I am so excited to see your replies I MAY BURST! ;)

Replies

• fatdaduk
    fatdaduk Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    there are many existing threads on the best sources of fiber.. do a search first. i see these threads at least once every other day.

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and checked other threads out but was more aiming toward the route of finding a more natural alternative to laxatives for a speedy fix of an upset stomach.
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Leafy green veg always does the trick for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Raspberries!

Really,most fruits and veggies are good sources of fiber and low-cal, but raspberries have tons of fiber and happen to be delicious! :)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    fatdaduk wrote: »
    there are many existing threads on the best sources of fiber.. do a search first. i see these threads at least once every other day.

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and checked other threads out but was more aiming toward the route of finding a more natural alternative to laxatives for a speedy fix of an upset stomach.

interesting that you found laxatives as the suggested remedy as i have yet to truly see that suggestion on here unless in a dire situation..

in any case - quest bars, beans, raspberries, blackberries, lentils, etc. are all high in fiber. fruits and veggies are great sources of fiber in general.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber all at once can have the opposite effect. You may need to add a little fat to grease those pipes.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Try chia seeds pre-soaked overnight in liquid
    Konjac root that can be bought as shirataki noodles or as a dietary supplement. Take with lots of water
    Air-popped popcorn
    Cucumber, lettuce, watermelon
    A bowl of all-bran cereal
    Fruit
  • fatdaduk
    Options
    fatdaduk wrote: »

interesting that you found laxatives as the suggested remedy as i have yet to truly see that suggestion on here unless in a dire situation..

in any case - quest bars, beans, raspberries, blackberries, lentils, etc. are all high in fiber. fruits and veggies are great sources of fiber in general.

Blimey! I didn't say I saw the laxative solution on any thread here. I'm really not here for an argument but your posts do appear a little terse but of course I may be picking it up incorrectly - it's been a long day. If my question has any way offended you please forgive me, that was not my intention.
  • fatdaduk
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Too much fiber all at once can have the opposite effect. You may need to add a little fat to grease those pipes.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Try chia seeds pre-soaked overnight in liquid
    Konjac root that can be bought as shirataki noodles or as a dietary supplement. Take with lots of water
    Air-popped popcorn
    Cucumber, lettuce, watermelon
    A bowl of all-bran cereal
    Fruit

Wow, thanks for that. I have some of those items to hand so I am off to the kitchen. :)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here to help with the constipation. Many people find that dates, prunes or prune juice help get things going again.

Some people find that a little mineral oil or Milk of Mag helps.

If it's been four days and you haven't pooped, you might consider calling the doctor.
  • fatdaduk
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Lots of good ideas here to help with the constipation. Many people find that dates, prunes or prune juice help get things going again.

If it's been four days and you haven't pooped, you might consider calling the doctor.

Thanks. It's not been that long. It's just I'm afraid of pushing more stuff in one end when it's not coming... ...well you know. LOL

Just trying to find which foods offer more 'bang four buck' so I don't bloat on stuff that aint gonna help.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    HIGH volume of Vit C. Like 2500mg x2 in a day.

Or...

30g of almonds per day for 5 days should get things moving.
  • fatdaduk
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    HIGH volume of Vit C. Like 2500mg x2 in a day.

Or...

30g of almonds per day for 5 days should get things moving.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like regucol, 4 calories for 8g of fibre I think it is. The tub lasts me ages.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I find that adding a simple magnesium supplement helps. Many of us are lacking in magnesium, especially if eating a lower carb diet.

For food: broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables are great!
  • fatdaduk
    Options
    I like regucol, 4 calories for 8g of fibre I think it is. The tub lasts me ages.
    Brilliant Thanks. I used Psyllium husks a while back as well as a probiotic but this seems to be both. I'll check this out.

P.S. The dog in your picture looks just like ours. :)
  • Kalikel
    Options

I find that adding a simple magnesium supplement helps. Many of us are lacking in magnesium, especially if eating a lower carb diet.

I don't get enough mag. When I have iron and potassium down, mag is next. Also Vitamin K. I figured it would be easier to lump those two in together since they're such good friends already. They're already on my radar.

For me, edamame really moves things along. I love the stuff and have to limit how much I eat because it moves things along a little to well, lol.

But we are all different in actual foods - what helps, what doesn't.

The mag is a nice idea. :)

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do about 6 oz of dark juice (100% grape or pomegranate or a mix of the two) every morning. Without sounding too dramatic here, it has changed my life. For me, the calories, sugar, carbs, etc. are totally worth it, and it's delicious (not like nasty prune juice).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I don't get enough mag. When I have iron and potassium down, mag is next. Also Vitamin K. I figured it would be easier to lump those two in together since they're such good friends already. They're already on my radar.

For me, edamame really moves things along. I love the stuff and have to limit how much I eat because it moves things along a little to well, lol.

I love edamame! I haven't noticed it having any effects on my bowels, but I do adore the stuff.

Yeah, a mag supplement is probably a good idea for many dieters.
    I do great with potassium. My go to salad for lunch is kale (etc) with sardines on it. That about covers the potassium needs right there. :)
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fiber One brownies and lemon bars are 90 calories, I eat them often to keep things moving.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Natural Calm or psyllium husk
  • Kalikel
    Options

I love edamame! I haven't noticed it having any effects on my bowels, but I do adore the stuff.

Yeah, a mag supplement is probably a good idea for many dieters.
    I do great with potassium. My go to salad for lunch is kale (etc) with sardines on it. That about covers the potassium needs right there. :)

I want to say "Ew!" to sardines, but should probably try them first, lol. The smell is not something I remember fondly.

Will have to try them. I see them in the store, by the tuna. I'll pick some up soon. :)

I don't notice any difference with edamame until I eat too much. I really do love that stuff. It's so good with everything!