How do all you meat eaters get your fiber and micronutrition?

Options
13»

Replies

• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A pound of veggies at every meal (I don't eat grain).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    (trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet. How do ALL of you go about selecting what fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. you consume, the quantity, and match what nutrients they provide with what your diet needs?

I find nutritiondata.com to be an excellent way to check on the nutrients that MFP doesn't track ot make sure my overall diet has adequate micronutrition.

Do all you on high protein diets take care to maximize the nutrition from your carb sources to have a diet complete for micronutrition as well?

cronometer.com is an actual tracker for micronutrient intake.

Cool...does it have a supportive forum community with the traffic and attention seeking individuals like MFP?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    (trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet. How do ALL of you go about selecting what fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. you consume, the quantity, and match what nutrients they provide with what your diet needs?

I find nutritiondata.com to be an excellent way to check on the nutrients that MFP doesn't track ot make sure my overall diet has adequate micronutrition.

Do all you on high protein diets take care to maximize the nutrition from your carb sources to have a diet complete for micronutrition as well?

Cool...does it have a supportive forum community with the traffic and attention seeking individuals like MFP?

http://blog.cronometer.com/?post_type=forum doesn't appear too shirtless
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Always with the trolling, John? >:)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I just scanned the replies, so if I missed someone else with the same comment, I apologize.

Am I the only one that realizes that meat also provides vitamins and other micronutrients? I mean, it isn't just protein and fat and that's it. So you only need to fill in the gaps with other foods, not start from scratch (except with fiber). It takes some thought, but it isn't all that difficult.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, I like to log there off and on. It also is easier in some ways, because it has the USDA and some other reliable entries and not so much inaccurate stuff.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I never worry about if I eat enough micronutrients - our diets are replete with micronutrients and their role in health is greatly overplayed by the purveyors of "health" nonsense. In short, I ignore all that, unless a blood panel reveals otherwise then I will pay attention.

Usually, though I tend to eat way more fat than carbs of the three macros and of the 3,500 to 4,500 calories I eat day, about 180 -220 grams of that is protein.

Selection? I eat what I feel like eating that day.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    If someone is cutting or maintaining and consuming more than 0.82 grams protein per lb. per day, then they are likely deficient in daily fiber and several micronutrients.

If they are bulking, then it's probably not an issue.

Incorrect!! I am maintaining and consuming more than .82 grams of protein per lb a day and I am meeting all my daily macros and micros. I have no deficiencies and my daily fiber intake is right for me. No problems in the bathroom. So please don't generalize.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200 calories of random fruit with breakfast, and then with dinner I choose a vegetable side and make sure it's a large portion. Other than that, it's all Reece's peanut butter cups and Dr. Pepper.