Substitute for Icecream?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Lose the "diet" and keep the ice cream...just eat less of it.

Not everyone can eat just a little. And being on a diet means one has to eat differently.

Eating a little IS eating differently. Food shouldn't incite fear, she needs to learn how to break the cycle.
    This.

truth.

diets are temporary fixes. that's why they don't work.

change your habits to change your life.

(and everyone CAN eat just a little. doesn't mean it's easy for everyone. but that's a battle you must fight, not one to which you must surrender.)
  • jennipooh82
    jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like frozen grapes. there bite-sized, frozen and sweet. I hope this helps!

~Jen
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Less ice cream! If you stay in a calorie deficit a little ice cream won't hurt you, it just has to fit into your calories(like, make room by eating a bit less of other things during the day)
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    1. Get food scale

2. Get ice cream

3. Measure out ice cream

4. (This is the most important part) eat the ice cream

5. Log the ice cream in diary.

4 and 5 are interchangeable.

I find answers like this so not useful....:yawn:

I find "eat a frozen banana" not useful so I guess we're even. There is no reason to cut out ice cream for a damn banana; what a lackluster ssubstitute that must be.

I'm having ice cream and two brownies tonight for a mere 340 calories. I'll be under my weekly goal by 1000 calories plus my already factored in deficit. The goal is to eat less food, not cut out foods.

Variety is a good thing in a diet too so I don't see how healthy recipes are not useful... I never said to not eat ice cream but she did ask for substitute. Your comment was still not useful as anybody here already knows how to eat...
  • Aeiro
    Aeiro Posts: 8
    Options
    The reason I said an Ice cream sub is because they're are many different kinds of icecream. And I usually dont go for the "plain Jane's". I prefer the Red Velvet Cake, wedding, party, peanut butter cookie dough -ect types. Ice cream is rather thick so i also put about 1/4 milk in it to thin it out which is more calories. And then i top it with some chocolate syrup.

I know that small portion is the way to go but thats something im gradually working on. I use to have two cups of ice cream and i've worked down to having only 1. Its very hard for me to eat less then what im use to; the same way it is hard for me to stop myself from eating more then 2 slices of pizza.

So id rather learn of an alternative then let myself be too close my weakness. Once I get enough self control and get use to eating smaller portions, then I will go back to eating icecream. I wish i had the strength to just flip a switch that tells me to stop eating so much but i dont :/
  • Aeiro
    Aeiro Posts: 8
    Options
    And thanks everyone. Your comments help and mean a lot :D
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    They have some really great frozen yogurts out there now. I buy Kemp's brand and 1/2 cup of their fruit and cream flavors is only 90 calories, so I go ahead and have 1 cup of yogurt with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and usually some berries, it satisfies the ice cream craving while also allowing a bigger serving with fewer calories.

Also I will sometimes put ice cream or frozen yogurt in a small coffee cup instead of a bowl because you can fill the coffee cup up instead of it looking empty like it can with 1/2 a cup of dessert in a bowl.....whatever works right?
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of people have suggested homemade banana ice cream or the Skinny Cow bars - I'd go with the homemade stuff. At least that way, you're getting fiber and vitamins. It's really easy, and I don't even use a food processor or blender - I just mash the bananas really well with a bit of almond milk (you can throw other berries in there too) and toss it into tupperware & freeze.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Just throw a frozen -very ripe- banana into a very powerfull blender. Tastes just like banana ice cream :)

I would add to this, make sure the banana is mushed up beforehand, or cut into small pieces, or your processor will get stuck. Then add an ounce or two of milk and a tablespoon of peanut butter. soooo good!
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    Lose the "diet" and keep the ice cream...just eat less of it.

Not everyone can eat just a little. And being on a diet means one has to eat differently.

Eating a little IS eating differently. Food shouldn't incite fear, she needs to learn how to break the cycle.
    How about a combo of all the above? I try smaller portions and frozen yogurt. Making frozen banana ice cream sounds great! Thanks for the link!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Frozen Greek yogurt. Some treats are under 100 calories :)

healthy choice has it for 100 cals and its pretty good. I would never guess it was low fat/diet stuff.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Fudge bars 40 calories each.
  • Amy982
    Amy982 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hannaford now sells TCBY in 3 or 4 different flavors. That is what I eat.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Just eat ice cream?
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I do a combo of fresh fruit mixed w/ 1 tbs unsweetened greek yogurt (or sour cream) + 1 tbs of Lifeway's Original Tart Frozen Kefir.

The frozen kefir brings the cold. The greek yogurt or the sour cream brings the mouth feel (but without the sugar) and the fresh fruit brings the flavor and most of the sweetness.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Look up artic zero "ice Cream"

VANILLA MAPLE IS MY FAV. LET IT MELT BEFORE YOU EAT IT. IT'S BETTER SOFT AND MELTED.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My theory is: Skinny people eat ice cream, too. They just don't eat the entire pint in one sitting, like I used to. Have a serving of ice cream, log it, work it into your day.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    SKINNY COW!!!! It's made by Nestle - they have Ice Cream sandwiches, and "chocolate truffle" ice cream bars on a stick. They're only about 110-120 calories and have a little protein/fiber in there too!
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Here's a substitute I like:

Protein Ice Cream

1 scoop whey protein
    2 oz. vanilla almond milk
    2-4 frozen strawberries sliced (or 1/2 banana, some raspberries, blueberries, etc)
    Dash o' stevia

blend in a mini food processor for about 45 sec - 1 min, it will take on the consistency of ice cream. I stick it in the freezer while I shower (i throw this together after coming back from my evening run) then sit down kick back and enjoy
  • tryin08
    tryin08 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My choices:
    -eat the ice cream you want, check portion size and calories
    -Skinny Cow ice cream- low in calories
    -Sugar Free Popsicles Brand popsicles-they are actually very delicious and you really don't feel deprived of the sugar.