1/2 marathon in one week and not ready.

Options
13»

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I got an injury several years ago when trying to run my first half marathon. I walked the 5k fun run instead. After that, I made the decision walking or running in a 5k every year was a good thing. For me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Don't let ego supercede sensibility here. Say you finish the race, but somehow injure yourself badly enough that you probably can't do it again? I've worked with people to rehab injuries due to "warrior" mentality instead of listening to what your body is telling you. It's not the end of the world and there will be many many other races. Why go into it at only 50% of your capability anyway?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Listen to the folks with letters after their name like ACE, NASM, MD, DO. If your doctor, nurse practicioner or healthcare provider says lay off and do another run later, I say go with that. Granted I do not know the extent of your injury etc but if you haven't been able to train, you WILL get hurt on the run.

I didn't follow my training plan as closely as I should have and was able to finish my first ever half marathon (but was hurting) and that was without any injuries. Don't screw with your back because it can become a life long nagging pain that does not get better and makes daily living difficult. I've seen that (as ninerbuff, an MFP moderator, mentioned).

Be careful and take care of yourself. Listen to qualified people with real experience rather than those with anecdotal evidence about how it could work out just fine. Don't want to be harsh with you but also do not want your exercise and running lifestyle to negatively change long term either.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    cocolo89 wrote: »
    but I just HAVE to do this run.

No you don't.

You're injured, have a 2000 mile drive scheduled and have three active and gorgeous children who need their mummy to be in fighting shape.

Have a word with yourself...
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    cocolo89 wrote: »
    Eek ya that's what worries me, wouldn't want to be bed ridden again. I have 3 small kiddos that won't let me rest, even during my time where I was unable to walk, I had to crawl around the house cause I had no help with kids and I'm sure that Played a part as to why recovery took longer..

That is the only thing you need to think about when considering running. What happens if your probably not fully healed injury gets injured worse this time....?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. I'm with the others who say skip this race by the way. The mental toughness that comes with running is when you must step aside and recover, with the confidence that you will run another day.

A setback is not the end.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @cocolo89 How's your back doing? I hope you are feeling less pain and are more mobile.

Also hope you've made an irreversible decision to pass on the run. Would hate to tune in this Sunday only to learn you've screwed your back up even worse.