Is losing weight on 1800 calories a day realistic?

Options

Replies

• StrawberryDisco
    StrawberryDisco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »
    Everyone varies but it should be more than ideal. Think 1700-1900 would be best.

Yes I have had past and current successes in this calorie range. As long as you are pretty active and don't spend the majority of your day sitting you should show some progress.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be very rigid to see losses at 1800/d given your stats. Absolutely no extras and no exceptions.

1800/ day might be a good maintenance level for you if your goal is 130s. It'll take a very long time to reach that goal, though. Christmas dinner alone will probably halt your progress for 7-12 days.

Osric
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue eating 1800 cals id say bump up your exercise
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds on 1800 a day but I'm active walking all day at work (no desk job here), and I workout 3 to 4 times a week intensely. I wouldn't of lost that without the added exercise I don't believe.
  • rgioviano
    rgioviano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what ingredients or types of foods are contained in that 1800 calories. 1800 calories of meat, vegetables, and fruit is very different from cereal, bread, and dessert. Food type is the main factor, not amount of calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rgioviano wrote: »
    It really depends on what ingredients or types of foods are contained in that 1800 calories. 1800 calories of meat, vegetables, and fruit is very different from cereal, bread, and dessert. Food type is the main factor, not amount of calories.

Oi. No. Wrong.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Whoa, you do realize you're on a calorie counting website, right?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    For weight loss they're 99% identical. I say 99% because with a low enough amount of protein, a person will end up with muscle loss, and losing one pound of muscle provides less energy than losing one pound of fat.
    Otherwise, for weight loss, calories is all that matters. Health can be a bit different.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

NO.
  • Hahnsama
    Hahnsama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So it all comes down to what you burn versus what you take in. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate), then times it by your activity factor (based on your activity level). Or you can simply calculate your EER (estimated energy requirement). Your energy balance for a week is calories in minus your EER minus calories burned in exercise. To burn a pound a week, that needs to be -3500 calories. That's equal to 500 calories per day which is totally doable!! So I'm 165 pounds, my BMR is about 1500. My EER is about 1800, then my commute (1.5 mile walk each way) burns about 400 calories per day. So if I ate 1i00 calories a day as you are inquiring about, MY daily balance would be 1800-1800-400=-400. That would make ME burn almost one pound a week. Since you are larger, your EER would be more than mine. So with a little physical activity, totally possible! Do not starve yourself, if 1500 isn't enough for you, then you should increase.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting started on MFP and sticking with 1500 is going to derail you because of hunger or cravings, then start out by increasing your calorie goal (you can do it manually), and just concentrate on developing good logging habits and food choices. After several weeks, when you get more comfortable, adjust it downward and keep doing that until you start seeing the losses you want. In the meantime, increase your activity just slightly over the same period of time. The first few weeks were the hardest for me - now I can feel satisfied on a lot less, and it's easier to stay in an exercise routine. Meantime, don't be intimidated by the gym! There's lots of nice people there! And most gyms have a women's workout room or beginner level classes to take.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

why?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your TDEE? The calculator that MFP provides is a good start and it will be fairly accurate for the amount of weight you are looking to lose. Your food diary and profile isn't public so it's hard to help. Depending on your height, current weight and the your activity setting 1800 could be realistic for your but it could be way off.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Me too!!
    I currently lose about 1/2 a pound a week eating 1800 calories and doing 10000 steps or more a day.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

This is misleading and inaccurate. A calorie is a calorie no matter what it comes from. If you eat 1800 calories worth of donuts or 1800 calories worth of lean meats and vegetables, it will still require the same amount of a deficit to lose weight. However, food choice does make a difference in how full you will be. You could eat a 300 calorie Dunkin Donuts Boston Cream donut or you could eat a hard boiled egg, medium sized apple and an ounce of cheese for less calories but much more filling.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Realistic for me? Yes, but my TDEE is over 3k per day, so I can lose aggressively on that diet.

Realistic for you? I don't know, what is your TDEE?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    imarie3 wrote: »
    I am currently 214 and find that I can't seem to feel like 1500 calories is enough food..I am active each day but don't formally exercise but I am hoping once I lose around 20 pounds I will feel comfortable enough to get back into the gym. Is it realistic to drop about a pound a week on 1800 calories.... and any success stories would be fantastic!

That would completely depend on your TDEE. For example, a 6'2 male would easily lose on that, as would a 5'8 250 lb woman, but a 5'2 150 lb woman would gain on that.

Best suggestion is to run your numbers through MFP's calculator. Home > goals > guided setup. Please note that MFP does not include exercise when calculating activity level.

Really? I know I am heavier than 150lbs, but I am 4'11" and would lose happily on 1800. Not all short people are glued to the sofa. I am about 167lbs, maybe a little less, I gained a few during a pregnancy that I lost this weekend. Yesterday was a good day and my fitbit (which has been highly accurate for me) says my TDEE was 2903kcal. I don't usually have a day under 2400kcal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    imarie3 wrote: »
    I am currently 214 and find that I can't seem to feel like 1500 calories is enough food..I am active each day but don't formally exercise but I am hoping once I lose around 20 pounds I will feel comfortable enough to get back into the gym. Is it realistic to drop about a pound a week on 1800 calories.... and any success stories would be fantastic!

That would completely depend on your TDEE. For example, a 6'2 male would easily lose on that, as would a 5'8 250 lb woman, but a 5'2 150 lb woman would gain on that.

Best suggestion is to run your numbers through MFP's calculator. Home > goals > guided setup. Please note that MFP does not include exercise when calculating activity level.

Really? I know I am heavier than 150lbs, but I am 4'11" and would lose happily on 1800. Not all short people are glued to the sofa.

I am 5'4, 113 and I would also lose on 1,800. You're right -- the activity level is going to be a key factor in determining whether one can lose on 1,800.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »
    Everyone varies but it should be more than ideal. Think 1700-1900 would be best.

How can anything be more than ideal?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Whoa, you do realize you're on a calorie counting website, right?

That's part of the game, it seems.