Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Remove soda and cows milk to start. Removed candy and processed foods. Use stevia as sweetener. That's a good start.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Remove soda and cows milk to start. Removed candy and processed foods. Use stevia as sweetener. That's a good start.

Just to check on this advice

So remove soda, fine it has a lot of added sugar what about diet soda that doesn't, is that ok?

Cows milk? Is that because of lactose? Do you think dairy is overall bad for health despite the protein, calcium, vitamin B and idione content. What about the fructose in fruit, is that less worrying?

Remove candy ...well I suppose so, but she could incorporate some if she loves candy and can moderate

Processed foods? Do you mean all processed foods? Can she eat fibre rich breads and cereals? What processes aren't allowed...are tinned or frozen vegetables ok

I know nothing about stevia...isn't it processed though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I need help and advise

How does people stay away from bad sugar and going to a whole food and healthy food of eating? I need help!

You know what I'd do

I'd start looking at recipes that I know are full of lots of colourful vegetables, lean proteins and that I'd find delicious and I'd start there

skinnytaste.com has a lot of great lower calorie recipes...I can recommend the chicken cacciatore but I add thyme, zucchini and more peppers to mine and don't include the mushrooms...build it in your recipe builder and work out how many calories per hundred grammes and you have meals for a couple of days.

I'd ensure I ate sufficient protein and fats (good guidelines as a minimum are 0.6-0.8g protein and 0.35g fat per pound of bodyweight) on a daily basis

I'd make sure I had a rainbow of vegetables at hand and some quick grab and go meals

And I'd calorie log and gradually build up a reportoire of go to foods that I enjoy

I wouldn't eliminate any one thing ...if just work out if I've met my nutritional minimums and if the calories are worth it or if there is something else for fewer calories I would be equally happy with ...this is how I found snickers ice cream bars and soleros

Hope that helps

Good luck

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I need help and advise

How does people stay away from bad sugar and going to a whole food and healthy food of eating? I need help!

I reduced foods with added sugar, and found the less I ate, the less I wanted. I needed to eat less foods to create a calorie deficit, and no longer having biscuits and wine with pasta meals was an easy cut. For about the first three months, I stopped making baked goods. I'm eating more fruit.

I've found I need a certain amount of protein in relationship to carbs in order to feel satisfied, so pay attention to the macros of my meals. 40% carbs, 30 % fat, 30% protein works for me. If I concentrate on the protein and add fats like I normally do, the carbs take care of themselves.

In the spring, I swapped out coffee and hot cocoa for tea, to which I add considerably less, if any, sugar. Now that it's getting cold again, I'm wanting coffee again, but found if I add whey protein powder to it, I don't need to add any sugar.

I remind myself that veggies have volume and fiber that help keep me full, so make a point of eating them.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Bad sugar, processed sugar :s Please stop :#

Think about it this way. We are evolved to eat in a certain food environment that looks a bit different from what we have today. People react differently to food cues. Which group do you belong to (mostly)?
    Are you happy with a small amount that fits nicely into your calorie goal?
    Do you obsess over sweets, crisps etc and never feel satisfied no matter how much you get?
    Answer this and that will tell you how to approach eh, sugar (I don't think it's "sugar" per se, but hyperpalatable junkfood and our associations linked with it).

Learn to cook. Taste new foods. Fill your fridge, freezer and pantry with whole foods. Don't eat between meals. Sit down and enjoy your food.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I need help and advise

Start by identifying your biggest source of sugar and work on replacing it with non sugar options. Give yourself time to adopt your replacement and integrate fully into habits and routines. Don't rush through this but respect your goals and make a little progress towards them daily. Once you've got a solid change of habit work on the next worst sugary diet item. You are making changes for long term health.

Some people find that just cutting sugar & other carbohydrates almost completely eliminates the cravings. If cravings are a huge problem for you, consider & research very low carb diets.

Best of luck!