Imagine Having to Live With This

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
I'm not sure how national this story went, but I see it was on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/22/us/florida-girl-killed/

Basically, a sex offender was released here in FL on May 31. This week, he befriends a woman with an 8-year-old daughter in a Dollar General store and says he'll go with them to Wal-Mart to buy them new clothes. They go to Wal-Mart, he tells the mother he's going to take the child to the front of the store and get her some McDonalds. Mother never sees daughter again till police find her body. Thankfully, they caught the pervert, and I'm hoping they tattoo "Baby Raper" on his forehead before tossing him into the general population at the jail.

Can you imagine being the mother and having to live with that? Knowing you got suckered into handing your child over to someone you barely know and having her wind up dead? It's bad enough losing a child, especially to something like this, but to be the one to give the trusting child to the pervert because he said he'd take you shopping...my mind just boggles at the horror.

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How desperate would someone have to be for some Walmart-brand clothes to allow their child to go out of their sight with a perfect stranger? Sorry for the little girl, but that mom is an idiot.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The mom should have never allowed the girl to go with the man alone. I can't imagine living with the overwhelming guilt she will face each day.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    The mother must be an idiot. Seriously, a fracking moron.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Why would the mother go any where with a total stranger and why would she let him wander off with her? I would never!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how national this story went, but I see it was on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/22/us/florida-girl-killed/

Basically, a sex offender was released here in FL on May 31. This week, he befriends a woman with an 8-year-old daughter in a Dollar General store and says he'll go with them to Wal-Mart to buy them new clothes. They go to Wal-Mart, he tells the mother he's going to take the child to the front of the store and get her some McDonalds. Mother never sees daughter again till police find her body. Thankfully, they caught the pervert, and I'm hoping they tattoo "Baby Raper" on his forehead before tossing him into the general population at the jail.

Can you imagine being the mother and having to live with that? Knowing you got suckered into handing your child over to someone you barely know and having her wind up dead? It's bad enough losing a child, especially to something like this, but to be the one to give the trusting child to the pervert because he said he'd take you shopping...my mind just boggles at the horror.
    [/quote

MY mind boggles at the sheer stupidity of the mother!!!!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Who the heck leaves their small child alone with a complete stranger?

I feel sorry for that mom and that child, but sometimes I don't know how people live as long as they do with no sense of self-preservation or common sense.
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options
    What kind of charges is the mom facing? Being "suckered" is knowing someone, trusting someone in your life like coaches, church and family members and teachers then they turn out to be monsters. But to hand your child over to a stranger? She didn't get suckered, she was a participant and she is responsible as well.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm not going anywhere with someone I don't know, no matter what they promise me. And I'll be damned if I'm letting my child go without me! It was rather Naive of the woman to do such a thing. Very sad that this happened. We need to watch our children much more closely.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The mother is a moron.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    How desperate would someone have to be for some Walmart-brand clothes to allow their child to go out of their sight with a perfect stranger?

Pretty desperate but some people truly are. Predators like that can be very winning and convincing and take you along step by step and in retrospect it sounds absurd but seems reasonable at the time. There is a reason why con men have made a living for centuries even though most of us know that such people exist. They are very god at what they do and we should not be so quick to judge.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    The mother must be an idiot. Seriously, a fracking moron.
    Beyond comprehension... total freakin moron! Nobody needs clothes or a damn burger enough to let your child go anywhere with a stranger. I pray she has no other children
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    According to records from the Duval County Clerk of Courts, Smith's most recent convictions occurred last year on charges from 2009 for unlawful impersonation of a public employee and aggravated child abuse by willful torture, for which he was sentenced to a year in county jail.

Tortured a kid and had previous convictions and he only got 1 year in prison???

Shouldn't have been on the streets in the first place, hopefully gets a proper sentence this time.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Beyond comprehension... total freakin moron! Nobody needs clothes or a damn burger enough to let your child go anywhere with a stranger. I pray she has no other children
    She has three, although I don't recall seeing the sex of the others reported in the news here. The filthy pervert's past offenses also include obscene phone calls to a 10 year old child and impersonating a state child welfare official. The only good that might come of this is that maybe he'll finally be off the streets for good.
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it. So many mistakes made (sentencing, etc) and then just an awful error of judgement from the mother.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How desperate would someone have to be for some Walmart-brand clothes to allow their child to go out of their sight with a perfect stranger?

Pretty desperate but some people truly are. Predators like that can be very winning and convincing and take you along step by step and in retrospect it sounds absurd but seems reasonable at the time. There is a reason why con men have made a living for centuries even though most of us know that such people exist. They are very god at what they do and we should not be so quick to judge.

Go ahead and paint me any kind of scenario in which a random stranger approaches a mother and her child in a dollar store and offers to buy them clothes from Wal-Mart that sounds "winning" "convincing" and/or "reasonable" and I will send you all my personal information and bank login.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    wow that mother had to be on drugs.
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an idiot.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if i was the mom i would kill myself.
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options

Go ahead and paint me any kind of scenario in which a random stranger approaches a mother and her child in a dollar store and offers to buy them clothes from Wal-Mart that sounds "winning" "convincing" and/or "reasonable" and I will send you all my personal information and bank login.

I totally agree...can't think of any scenario. Yes, predators and con artists groom people but how much grooming and "conning" can be done in that short period of time? This was almost immediate. It seems she would have handed that child over to anyone, so if it wasn't this creep, it probably would have been another. God Bless this innocent child.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    Obviously it's awful what happened, but why shouldn't the mother have to live with it? Why should we feel sorry for her? She's the one who let her daughter go off with a perfect stranger. The kid didn't deserve what happened to her, but the mother? She deserves every bit of guilt she gets.