Protein Bars

Options
My boyfriend has been looking for protein bars to eat for breakfast. He wants a protein bar with low added sugar (less than 10g, ideally less than 5g). Somebody suggested Quest bars, but after looking at the ingredients, we found that artificial sweeteners had been added and we would definitely like to avoid those. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well most protein bars will have artificial sweeteners unless you make them yourself.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I know most do, that is why I made this post. I had difficulty finding any so I wanted to see if some MFP users were aware of any.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't want much added sugar and don't want artificial sweetener, you'll be hard pressed to find one, and if you do, what are you expecting it to taste like?
  • JaredEBrooks
    JaredEBrooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would just as soon eat Quest bars for all meals and snacks except for the evening meal. Comments?
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like no cow bars
  • cdudley628
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you don't want much added sugar and don't want artificial sweetener, you'll be hard pressed to find one, and if you do, what are you expecting it to taste like?

I'm not eating them, they are for my boyfriend. I don't know what he expects them to taste like. Obviously not very sweet.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I really liked the Quest protein bars, especially Chocolate Brownie and PB&J but the fiber in them (a pre-biotic fiber called Isomalto-Oligosaccharide) is also used as a sweetener which drove my blood sugar up by 40 mg/dL from just one bar and made me hungry for more (FYI: I'm a diabetic). I got seriously "addicted" to them & eventually got myself off of them due to the blood sugar problems they were causing.

I switched to another protein bar called "Diabetic Kitchen bar" (Vanilla Almond flavor) that worked great for me and one bar only raised my blood sugar by 15 mg/dL & didn't make me feel like continuing with a 2nd bar after eating the first. I'll admit, they aren't as sweet as the Quest Protein bars but they were sweet enough to serve their purpose. Amazon sell these making them fairly easy to obtain (but they aren't cheap--about the same as the Quest Protein bars). These Diabetic Kitchen bars do use an artificial sweetener called Stevia (most people don't have trouble with this one compared to the sugar alcohol sweeteners).

Listed below is the nutritional info for the Diabetic Kitchen Bars (Vanilla Almond):
    Calories: 180
    Fat: 8 g
    Protein: 17 g
    Total Carb: 21 g (Fiber: 16 g, Sugar: 3 g)

...and its ingredient list is fairly short & "pronounceable":
    Chicory Root Fiber
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Organic Almond Butter
    Almonds
    Ground Flaxseed
    Organic Vanilla Extract
    Sea Salt
    Stevia

I think it will be difficult to find a protein bar without sugar or some artificial sweetener since people expect protein bars to have a sweet taste to them.
  • cdudley628
    Options
    I would be willing to make some if anybody has any recipes that would fit the criteria.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Musclepharm's Combat Crunch tastes awesome, but it has a little more sugar/calories than quest bars. It also has sucralose, so if you are ruling quest bars out for that, you might not want these.

Quest has some all natural flavors without sucralose (coconut cashew for example).

I tend to alternate between Quest and Combat Crunch when I order and I eat bars on occasion as a substitute due to lack of time.

If you want absolutely no added sugar, a whey protein powder might be a better choice. Some of them have no sugar, but they probably taste awful unless put in something tasty. Just a guess as I have never tried them.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There are lots of tasty-sounding recipes out there - it just depends on how much protein he wants (store bought ones are going to be much higher than homemade) and what flavors he likes/proteins he can tolerate.

Here is an example - http://ohsheglows.com/2013/08/29/quick-n-easy-no-bake-protein-bars/
    11 grams of sugar - but it is from honey and a little chocolate on top.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would just as soon eat Quest bars for all meals and snacks except for the evening meal. Comments?

Go for it. I've done this with other bars during times I didn't have time or feel like making anything, kept losing weight, didn't feel any ill effects from it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    wait, so...

I'm confused.

Do you want low sugar?

Or do you want high sugar?

If you want low sugar then your best bet is to get a protein bar like quest which has artifical sweetners.

If you want high sugar your best bet is to get a protein bar which does not.

Added sugar or not added doesn't really matter. Either way you're eating sugar. :confounded:
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If staying away from sweeteners is a big issue, then forget about bars and just eat food with a lot of protein.

I like those pouches of plain tuna packed in water (and low sodium). It's a very high protein/calorie food.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    There are low sugar "Kind" bars, that are very good! Only 5 grams sugar.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have lost my enjoyment of Quest bars because they Have a salty taste to them that grosses me out. I am going low carb these days, so I use Atkins products. I don't know the chemistry involved but they use sugar alcohols, but is low glycemic and keeps the carbs down. Works for me. no spam here....
  • cdudley628
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    wait, so...

I'm confused.

Do you want low sugar?

Or do you want high sugar?

If you want low sugar then your best bet is to get a protein bar like quest which has artifical sweetners.

If you want high sugar your best bet is to get a protein bar which does not.

Added sugar or not added doesn't really matter. Either way you're eating sugar. :confounded:

He wants low sugar, but not artificial sweeteners. Naturally occurring sugar, such as in fruits, is different than a bunch of added sugar. I don't think the sugar you get from eating an orange is "bad" for you, whereas added sugar is something I feel should be avoided.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are okay if you can stomach the taste. I personally don't like them. They don't taste good, and I always feel like I've licked a chalk board after eating them. I actually haven't eaten protein bars for a while, but several months ago, I was eating some that I made at home with a recipe. They were really good. I would just search online for some recipes and try them out. That way you can adjust the ingredients to fit your personal tastes. There are TONS of them out there.
  • cdudley628
    Options
    If staying away from sweeteners is a big issue, then forget about bars and just eat food with a lot of protein.

I like those pouches of plain tuna packed in water (and low sodium). It's a very high protein/calorie food.

He just wants something that is convenient. He has a crazy work schedule and wants to just grab something that he can easily eat at work. He doesn't have access to a fridge or anything to cook with while working. So if there is some high protein snacks that are easy like that, I would love to hear those suggestions. (He does not eat tuna, however.)
  • cdudley628
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Quest bars are okay if you can stomach the taste. I personally don't like them. They don't taste good, and I always feel like I've licked a chalk board after eating them. I actually haven't eaten protein bars for a while, but several months ago, I was eating some that I made at home with a recipe. They were really good. I would just search online for some recipes and try them out. That way you can adjust the ingredients to fit your personal tastes. There are TONS of them out there.

I'm definitely starting to see that this is probably the best solution. Right now I am unemployed and have no problem spending my time baking and cooking, so I will look into some recipes and see what I can find.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why not simply make your own? It's not difficult. Google (or bing or whatever your search engine of choice) will happily give you hundreds of recipes. Then just tweak to your own preferences.