• reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Jerky...
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Jerky...

Or biltong. I think jerky contains some sugars. Biltong is traditionally seasoned with salt and coriander and air dried. No fridge required. Can't get much more protein / no sugar than meat.

• JaredEBrooks
    JaredEBrooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would just as soon eat Quest bars for all meals and snacks except for the evening meal. Comments?

Go for it. I've done this with other bars during times I didn't have time or feel like making anything, kept losing weight, didn't feel any ill effects from it.

That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thank you!
  • JaredEBrooks
    JaredEBrooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Quest bars are okay if you can stomach the taste. I personally don't like them. They don't taste good, and I always feel like I've licked a chalk board after eating them. I actually haven't eaten protein bars for a while, but several months ago, I was eating some that I made at home with a recipe. They were really good. I would just search online for some recipes and try them out. That way you can adjust the ingredients to fit your personal tastes. There are TONS of them out there.

I can't say they are great tasting. I ordered the variety pack from Quest and then picked out 4 or 5 I liked or at least tasted better than others. Set them up on a monthly delivery schedule. My wife likes to cook and pays attention what she fixes for dinner. I am on a 1720 per day calorie diet and the quest bars make it easy and handy for me. I'm retired and go to the gym three days a week and ride a bike at home for cardio. Quest bars were suggested by the manager of the gym vs the Cliff bars I was using because Quest has much more protein. I'm 73 and need to lose 50 pounds plus get my muscle tone back. I'm hoping this process will work.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    If your wife enjoys cooking, you really might want to google recipes for home-made protein bars. There are some pretty spectacular recipes out there - I made a S'Mores version a couple of weeks ago that was way better than any commercially prepared bar I've ever had.

Most of the time, though, if I want a quick shot of protein I'd rather have some jerky or a hard-boiled egg or a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. The bars are all just so sweet, and if I am going to have a sweet treat, I'd rather have some Talenti gelato or a really good cookie =P

I love s'mores anything! My favorite flavor.

I'll eat a hard-boiled egg when I actually have eggs (they're really started to going up in price because of the avian flu!). My boyfriend won't eat eggs or peanut butter so he's limited in quick protein. He does like jerky, though. Are there some "healthier" jerky companies that would be better than eating Jack Links, or is Jack Links pretty healthy in the jerky world?
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on this post....he sounds fussy like my kids! Can't he take a lunch box with an ice pack and eat real food? Or have a protein shake? Pre mix a protein powder of choice with some oats then add long life milk or water when needed....you won't get a bar that doesn't have artificial sweeteners or sugar or both Carmans protein muesli bars would be the closest I guess. But they have peanuts......I wouldn't even put jerky and healthy in the same sentence!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of protein bars and poweders, 'cause I prefer to just get my protein from regular food. But while I was travelling through Central Asia, I took a handful of protein bars with me for overnight trains or situations when there wasn't much food available for a (semi-) vegetarian.

The ones I bought were the Simply Protein brand. Most of their flavours have about 15g of protein per 150-calorie bar or thereabouts, and they have no artificial sugars, flavours, and 4-7g of fibre per bar. They're gluten-free (if that matters to you) and most of them are vegan (except for their line of whey protein bars, which of course aren't.) They're also non-coated so they don't melt in the high heat, which was one of my key considerations when backpacking in hot countries.

I have to say they're sort of dry and a bit cardboardy. But they did the trick on days when there wasn't much available to eat.

Or, just make your own.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on this post....he sounds fussy like my kids! Can't he take a lunch box with an ice pack and eat real food? Or have a protein shake? Pre mix a protein powder of choice with some oats then add long life milk or water when needed....you won't get a bar that doesn't have artificial sweeteners or sugar or both Carmans protein muesli bars would be the closest I guess. But they have peanuts......I wouldn't even put jerky and healthy in the same sentence!

I wouldn't call him fussy. I think adult picky eaters are pretty common. I am an extremely picky eater and so is my sister, as well as one of my good friends. He definitely eats, and is willing to try, more kinds of food than any of us. He is, however, extremely conscious about eating in front of people so it's difficult to find him something that he can eat at work and feels comfortable eating. I think something a lot of people are overlooking is I didn't ask for a protein bar with no sugar, I asked for one with low sugar.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can make granola bars (that use honey) and also add in protein powder for upping the protein. I have ones that are baked and ones that are non baked. I also make cookies out my protein powder as well. ALso you can make brownies doing this as well.

For when I do not have time to make these I used the Comabat crunch and FIT Chef Created, Baked Whey Protein Bar for Overall Nutrition bars (yummy and MUCH BETTER THAN QUEST.. They are CRUNCHY.. QUEST IS LIKE EATING SPACKLE"

The FIT bars have little very little sugar... I just bought a box of these after trying a sample from bodybuilding.com

PM me and I can work up the recipes if you want them. It will take me some time to get them off my "kitchen" cook book but I am happy to do this for you.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    I think something a lot of people are overlooking is I didn't ask for a protein bar with no sugar, I asked for one with low sugar.

Well the Simply Protein bars have only 1g of sugar, and it's natural sugar. But they also taste like they only have 1g of sugar. YMMV.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Try Protein Fusion :) . Low sugar. Maybe it fits your criteria.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The ones I eat are Good to Go by South Beach. I like the chocolate chip ones. There's 10g of protein and 7g of sugar.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of protein bars and poweders, 'cause I prefer to just get my protein from regular food. But while I was travelling through Central Asia, I took a handful of protein bars with me for overnight trains or situations when there wasn't much food available for a (semi-) vegetarian.

The ones I bought were the Simply Protein brand. Most of their flavours have about 15g of protein per 150-calorie bar or thereabouts, and they have no artificial sugars, flavours, and 4-7g of fibre per bar. They're gluten-free (if that matters to you) and most of them are vegan (except for their line of whey protein bars, which of course aren't.) They're also non-coated so they don't melt in the high heat, which was one of my key considerations when backpacking in hot countries.

I have to say they're sort of dry and a bit cardboardy. But they did the trick on days when there wasn't much available to eat.

Or, just make your own.

Thanks for the link for SimplyProteinBars--I've never heard of them before! I looked at their ingredient list and they just might be OK for a diabetic like me--I'll have to try them out sometime. The major ingredients (i.e. chicory root) are similar to the Diabetic Kitchen bars I presently use since those have a minimal effect on my blood sugars (unlike the Quest protein bars) but I like the different flavors available for the SimplyProteinBars and that they aren't as "sweet tasting" and won't melt in hot weather (great for summer hikes) & the dry, cardboardy texture should help keep me from eating too many of them at one sitting.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I would just as soon eat Quest bars for all meals and snacks except for the evening meal. Comments?

Me too and a lot of times I do. :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Go for it. I've done this with other bars during times I didn't have time or feel like making anything, kept losing weight, didn't feel any ill effects from it.

That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thank you!

I just ate an OhYeah! Victory bar for dinner. The fudge brownie is pretty good.