Why dont i look as much as i weigh?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's possible that your friends do notice and feign shock.

I know someone who is always bragging about how much she weighs. She lifts weights and likes to point out that you weigh more when you're very muscular. When she says, "I weigh 140!" people know she expects them to be shocked, so we all say, "Really?! Wow, I'd have never guessed!" And she goes on to explain it, how she can weigh so much and be so small...and we politely listen and act impressed.

But the truth is that we would've guessed and it's not a shock at all.

If I knew someone who had obviously put on weight and they asked if I noticed, I'd say Nope. When they announced how much, I'd be all, "Where?" and "Well, you'd never know it! You look great!" Even if I could tell, I'd say I couldn't.

So, maybe they have noticed and just aren't telling you.

But maybe they haven't and you're holding that 15 pounds really well! I don't know.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Now that I am menopausal my weight is redistributing around my belly. I'm skinnier around the face and arms. You get the point.

I also discovered that sizes have drifted upwards several sizes. A size twelve today would have been marked size sixteen when I was in my thirties. North America is getting rounder and people are poor visual judges.

This is so true. Many years age, I wore a size 14/16 at 140 pounds. Now, I'm in a size 10 at 157 pounds. The sizes have changed over the years! This is why they're now making things in size 0, 00 and 000 for the truly uber-skinny.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    everyone carries their weight differently. even at my heaviest of 220, most people thought I was somewhere in the 190s or 200 tops.

beyond that, most people really don't know what they're looking at and are horrible at guestimating other people's weights...they have whole carnival attractions in fact...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My co-worker weighs about 10 lbs more than me. She looks like she weighs a good 20-30 lbs less than me. Good for her - but it makes me so frustrated!! I'd much rather look smaller than what I weigh than look like I weigh a lot more than I weigh!!

@Ready2Rock206 I ran into the same thing when I was testing diets to manage my pain. When I cut out most all sugars and did cut out all grains I did not lose a pound for the next six weeks but I lost an inch at the waist and much of my fat face.

The kind of calories that I eat impacts the weight I look like I weigh more than what the scales state. Science may answer that some day.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just want to clear something up. I never said that i did not want to lose weight. You guys are misunderstanding the post. My question was i wonder where the weight was going. Regardless of others opinions of thinking i look decent or good, im still losing weight because I want to, lets clear that up :)
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    What's your body shape type?

It is pear shaped
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    BriTyler3 wrote: »

It is pear shaped
    To me pear shaped ladies always look like they weigh less. Some of it is clothing and some of it is the current trend of fashion. I am more of an apple so in order for jeans or slacks to be big enough in the waist, there is a bunch of loose fabric in the hip and thigh area.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

beyond that, most people really don't know what they're looking at and are horrible at guestimating other people's weights...they have whole carnival attractions in fact...

Yep, people are about as good at guessing weight as they are at guessing age.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    We have this absurd idea that our value is tied to the number on a scale all too often. Because of that, people lie. They lie about their own weight to save face. They lie about others' weight to be kind (or cruel). It would be impossible to tell if your friends are misled by the first, or actively participating in the second, or somewhere between.

You might find the Photographic Height/Weight Chart interesting and illuminating. Feel free to participate by submitting your own pictures.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Picture?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

It is pear shaped

Yeah. I think pear shapes can look like they weigh less than they do. I'm 5'4" and was pear shaped at 165 pounds. My measurements were 34, 29, 44 lol. That's not that big of a chest and waist...then you look down. Whoa.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Do you have candid pictures from then and now to compare? It is way hard to guess someone's weight by eye...
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Clothing can hide excess weight. People can be bad guessers. People can also be polite and try to under-guess as to not offend. Females can carry extra weight from boobs.

Weight can also be gained/lost from places that are harder to notice than a spare tire around the tummy. I have lost nearly 10kg and my stomach hasn't changed yet but I have lost it all from my legs, face, upper torso, back and arms. It's only just now become noticeable by people who know me well but don't see me much.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Clothing can hide excess weight. People can be bad guessers. People can also be polite and try to under-guess as to not offend. Females can carry extra weight from boobs.

Weight can also be gained/lost from places that are harder to notice than a spare tire around the tummy. I have lost nearly 10kg and my stomach hasn't changed yet but I have lost it all from my legs, face, upper torso, back and arms. It's only just now become noticeable by people who know me well but don't see me much.

I can definitely add that my boobs "grew" a cup size.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    I dont really have good pictures that can exemplify the difference sorry guys.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    To add I'm 5'8, 158lbs and my size 6s are getting too big

Muscles, bones...I carry weight well

Just be happy ..it's not like you have to stand in a scale in front of people is it?

To add im 5'5 , it really doesnt matter. I wouldnt be trying to lose the weight if i listened to other people judgements. They say i dont need to lose, i believe i do.

Ok so you weigh 175 at 5'5... I am 5'5 and weigh 155. I have less then 20 pounds to be at goal.

I dont care what anyone says or deterimines how I look. I am my own judge.

There are people that will blow smoke up your *kitten*.

1. Boyfriend or a spouse.. I love you regardless.. You dont need to lose weight. You look good.

2. A friend... some women want the all the attention..if you start losing weight you will become a threat.
    "you dont weight that.. no way. you look good"

3. Co workers.. of course they will tell you that.. LOL esp. if you have worked with them for a while.
    some dont want to be mean or get involved in something that may backfire.

4. Parents.. Oh honey.. thats crazy.. enjoy life.. You look great!!

I carried 175 pounds for 5 years. Every time I mentioned losing.. I heard no way.. you look great!!!!

I know what 175 looks like on my 5'5 frame and I was obese and I heard every one of the comments above.

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I weigh just under 200 and people are shocked when I tell them. Being tall and well proportioned helps, it's just one of those things I guess.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It could be they are just trying to be nice. Or you carry the weight distributed all over and it is not that obvious. Or when you had lost, you still were overweight and the difference was not as big as you thought, so it did not show that much. Or you wear flattering clothes. Who knows?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Just be happy ..it's not like you have to stand in a scale in front of people is it?

To add im 5'5 , it really doesnt matter. I wouldnt be trying to lose the weight if i listened to other people judgements. They say i dont need to lose, i believe i do.

Ok so you weigh 175 at 5'5... I am 5'5 and weigh 155. I have less then 20 pounds to be at goal.

1. Boyfriend or a spouse.. I love you regardless.. You dont need to lose weight. You look good.

2. A friend... some women want the all the attention..if you start losing weight you will become a threat.

3. Co workers.. of course they will tell you that.. LOL esp. if you have worked with them for a while.

I carried 175 pounds for 5 years. Every time I mentioned losing.. I heard no way.. you look great!!!!

I know what 175 looks like on my 5'5 frame and I was obese and I heard every one of the comments above.

you've got a big point there

apart form calling yourself obese - you weren't - you were overweight with a BMI of around 28 - obese is over 30
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options

you've got a big point there

apart form calling yourself obese - you weren't - you were overweight with a BMI of around 28 - obese is over 30

Thanks!!! :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    People are really bad at guessing weight and tend to underestimate it. Especially if they're overweight.